Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been keeping up to date with E3 news this year?

I watched the Microsoft conference yesterday, and boy oh boy was there some exciting stuff in there. I'm still trying to get over the Project Natal announcement. Microsoft might actually be the top innovators this year. Who'da thunk it?! This is some pretty advanced tech for consumers, too. The technology has been around for a while, but not quite in this state. For Microsoft to actually have it up and running right now is really something. I also hope Peter Molyneux stays on board with Project Natal, 'cause that guy sure pushes the envelope.

I'm most looking forward to FFXIII, but also glad that development on Alan Wake is still going strong. I hope it turns out to be a great game, and worth all the time it's taken to make thus far. The Beatles Rock Band looks pretty sweet, too (that opening cinematic was awesomely trippy).

Can't say I'm a big Halo fan, but I know I'm in the minority. Fans around the world should be pretty stoked about the new Halo game announcements. Damn, that franchise is raking it in!

And this morning I've been hearing about Mario Galaxy 2. That should give the die-hard Nintendo fans something to look forward to.

Now I'm off to go watch the Nintendo and Sony conferences :D

What's everyone else most looking forward to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
I watched all three conferences.

Quick thoughts:

- Microsoft: Natal looks amazing, but Peter Molyneux is the king of overhype and broken promises, so we'll see. Plus, I'm not sure whether Milo (the "little boy" in the game Molyneux demonstrated) is cool or creepy. Shadow Complex for Xbox Live was far from the highest-profile title shown at MS's conference, but it was my personal favorite of the 360 lot.

- Nintendo: Nice showing for Nintendo with New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M for Wii, and Cop (DS) and Mario vs. Donkey Kong (DSiWare), among others.

- Sony: Game of the show for me: The Last Guardian for PS3 (follow-up to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus). Now I really need to get Sony's system. The PS3 motion controller is very impressive as well, but it might be too little in terms of competing against the Wii. The PSP Go looks cool too, but I think Sony dropped the ball by overpricing it. It was a definite purchase for me before. Now I don't know. $250 is ridiculously high for what you get.

All three systems showcased some great stuff. Very nice E3 this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CS said:
Natal looks amazing, but Peter Molyneux is the king of overhype and broken promises, so we'll see. Plus, I'm not sure whether Milo (the "little boy" in the game Molyneux demonstrated) is cool or creepy.
Wow, that's being a bit harsh isn't it? Other than with the original Fable, what do you base that on? It's not like other game developers have never over-hyped their games. What about Will Wright with Spore? I think that takes the cake.

I don't see what's creepy about Milo at all. I hope more time is spent on developing this particular technology. When we get to a point where computers excel at reading our facial expressions and body language, and can communicate with us in a very human way, then I'll be very excited. I don't think we're there yet (not with consumers game systems OR advanced robotics and AI), but it's nice to see that they're trying this stuff out in a way everyone can see it an enjoy it.

I've been pretty disappointed with Nintendo's conference so far, but I haven't finished watching yet.

I'm also trying not to get excited over Sony's offerings because I don't own a PS3, but that's getting increasingly difficult.

Agree with your comments about the PSP Go ::)

Damn, it's a good time to be a gamer though :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,456 Posts
As a Zune fan, I liked the E3 announcement about Zune video marketplace being integrated with Xbox. That, along with the ZuneHD player announcements last week, are making for an exciting summer for us Zuners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Harvey said:
As a Zune fan, I liked the E3 announcement about Zune video marketplace being integrated with Xbox. That, along with the ZuneHD player announcements last week, are making for an exciting summer for us Zuners.
wow didn't know that gotta look that up now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harvey said:
As a Zune fan, I liked the E3 announcement about Zune video marketplace being integrated with Xbox. That, along with the ZuneHD player announcements last week, are making for an exciting summer for us Zuners.
Awesome thing about that particular announcement was that they're bringing it to other countries. Finally, movies on demand for us Aussies! Of course, with download limits here, most of us won't be able to enjoy the convenience. That said, I'm with an ISP that thankfully has no download limits for the Xbox Live Marketplace, so hopefully that will include movie downloads. Now, it's just the speed of the 'net connection to consider. I'm itching to try it out though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CS said:
Sony: Game of the show for me: The Last Guardian for PS3 (follow-up to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus). Now I really need to get Sony's system.
Just finished watching the Sony conference, and that's exactly how I feel. I was blown away by what they showed of The Last Guardian. Damn, I think it's time to buy a PS3.

Uncharted 2 also looked amazing, but I haven't played the first one. And God of War 3..... Sheesh that gets pretty violent, but visually stunning for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
I didn't pay any mind to E3, however, I strolled by the IGN boards today and happened to notice a thread regarding Microsoft, on the Wii board no less, and ended up watching a couple of videos for Project Natal. Assuming that it works as shown, which I doubt, I cannot say that I'm impressed. What you have is extremely exaggerated/gimmicky game interaction, I might be able to adapt to motion controls like the Wii offers, but there's no way I'd tolerate anything like Project Natal. I'd become a retro gamer, or quit gaming entirely before I'd ever put that much effort into playing a bloody video game, not to mention who's got the space needed for that gorram rug?

As for Milo, it 'minded of Seaman for the Dreamcast, different of course in that you grew and took care of the Seaman whereas you don't grow the boy, but you could also talk to it and it would talk back to you, not that I ever put any time into it, and of course, Milo is clearly more advanced, but in the end it's the technology itself that is impressive rather than what is being done with it.

CS said:
- Sony: Game of the show for me: The Last Guardian for PS3 (follow-up to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus).
The Last Guardian does look spectacular but it doesn't look like a game that I'd want to play, I think that I'd rather watch someone else play the game.

reemixx said:
Wow, that's being a bit harsh isn't it? Other than with the original Fable, what do you base that on? It's not like other game developers have never over-hyped their games. What about Will Wright with Spore? I think that takes the cake.
What it really comes down to is who you've been burned by. Out of all of the overhyped games it was Fable that burned me the most, it burned me so badly that I've become highly skeptical of anything that a game developer has to say, so as far as I'm concerned it's impossible to be too harsh regarding Peter Molyneux.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selcien said:
I didn't pay any mind to E3, however, I strolled by the IGN boards today and happened to notice a thread regarding Microsoft, on the Wii board no less, and ended up watching a couple of videos for Project Natal. Assuming that it works as shown, which I doubt, I cannot say that I'm impressed. What you have is extremely exaggerated/gimmicky game interaction, I might be able to adapt to motion controls like the Wii offers, but there's no way I'd tolerate anything like Project Natal. I'd become a retro gamer, or quit gaming entirely before I'd ever put that much effort into playing a bloody video game, not to mention who's got the space needed for that gorram rug?
It's a shame you feel that way, but to each their own. I think it's fantastic, and completely agree with the notion that the best game controller you can possibly have is yourself. Do you know how many non-gamers are just too intimidated to pick up a game controller and play? It may not be something you're personally interested in, but you cannot deny the possibility that Project Natal may encourage many non-gamers to play games, possibly even more than the Wii. Clearly, that's what they're going for. Whether it's something I would use or not, I think it's wonderful. The more options the better. Not everyone plays games in the same way.

Selcien said:
What it really comes down to is who you've been burned by. Out of all of the overhyped games it was Fable that burned me the most, it burned me so badly that I've become highly skeptical of anything that a game developer has to say, so as far as I'm concerned it's impossible to be too harsh regarding Peter Molyneux.
Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I beg to differ. Ultimately, Fable was a GOOD game despite all the stuff that didn't make an appearance in it, and despite the fact that Molyneux said it would. On the more positive side, we did end up getting Fable 2, which is an especially fantastic game in my opinion. But go ahead and be skeptical. That's probably a good thing. In the end, Molyneux will have to prove to us and show us something great with Project Natal, and until he does everything else is just speculation and opinion. I'm not denying that at all. I guess I'm just a little tired of everyone being so overly critical of the guy when he's one of the few actually pushing for changes and advancements in the gaming industry in a BIG way. We need guys like him, and what people think of him doesn't really matter in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to get back onto the topic:

I've come to the conclusion that - even after all the new awesome stuff shown during the E3 presentations - I'm still most excited about Mass Effect 2. It's my most anticipated game for 2010.

.....and possibly Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO, though my head is telling me not to get excited about that for a while 'cause it's probably aaaages until release. Can't help myself, though. That new trailer was awesome. *drool*

How about everyone else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
reemixx said:
Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I beg to differ. Ultimately, Fable was a GOOD game despite all the stuff that didn't make an appearance in it, and despite the fact that Molyneux said it would.
Fable could've ended up being the best game in the world (I eventually bought it on clearance for $15 but still haven't played it). That, however, doesn't excuse Molyneux's false hype-job. If you're okay with being conned, more power to you. The rest of us take a much dimmer view to that sort of thing. Where I come from, it's called fraud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
reemixx said:
It's a shame you feel that way, but to each their own. I think it's fantastic, and completely agree with the notion that the best game controller you can possibly have is yourself. Do you know how many non-gamers are just too intimidated to pick up a game controller and play? It may not be something you're personally interested in, but you cannot deny the possibility that Project Natal may encourage many non-gamers to play games, possibly even more than the Wii. Clearly, that's what they're going for. Whether it's something I would use or not, I think it's wonderful. The more options the better. Not everyone plays games in the same way.
First off, I'm surprised that you didn't correct me regarding the rug, after looking at it some more it's clear that the rug I saw in one of the videos has nothing to do with the interface, so my bad on that.

Anyway, I have no doubts that some things will work extraordinarily well with Project Natal, but there are also going to be issues with in game movement. Take the fighting example, sure you can punch, kick, duck, block all perfectly, assuming that you're in good enough physical condition, but what about moving toward, or away from your opponent? The same applies to tennis, you can get the full swing motion, but you'd be extremely limited on moving your character unless you have a lot of space. Or the skating one, how do you turn? Or do tricks that are more complicated than an ollie/nollie, like say a handstand on a half pipe? How about action adventure games?

Project Natal sounds cool but using 1:1 motion control has limited applications, so you're either going to need extra equipment, or they're going to need to program certain motions to activate an in game reaction, well, assuming that they want to do anything that requires more than a simple interface. And it should be noted that everything shown has used a simple interface and that the one where the kid was pretending to be a monster had him at the edge of the rug from moving that monster forward, if they hadn't cut away to something else the kid wouldn't have been able to move the monster forward any more than he already had, which clearly demonstrates the problem of in game movement.

reemixx said:
Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I beg to differ. Ultimately, Fable was a GOOD game despite all the stuff that didn't make an appearance in it, and despite the fact that Molyneux said it would. On the more positive side, we did end up getting Fable 2, which is an especially fantastic game in my opinion. But go ahead and be skeptical. That's probably a good thing. In the end, Molyneux will have to prove to us and show us something great with Project Natal, and until he does everything else is just speculation and opinion. I'm not denying that at all. I guess I'm just a little tired of everyone being so overly critical of the guy when he's one of the few actually pushing for changes and advancements in the gaming industry in a BIG way. We need guys like him, and what people think of him doesn't really matter in the end.
There's no doubt that going into Fable as hyped as I was hurt the game a lot but I had issues that went beyond the failure to live up to the hype. I didn't care for the art direction, the voice overs, the way the character ages every time you upgraded your character, or the way that there was no real story until right before the end, at which point they introduce a great story element, and then it's game over. WTF?

I haven't played Fable 2 as I've been feeling very much anti-360 for a while now, I would get rid of it but I've already done that once and ended up rebuying the system because of Mass Effect. So I've opted to keep the system but to only buy exclusives that I absolutely have to have, like say Mass Effect 2. I'm not sure if Fable 2 would qualify as a game I have to have, although I do like the price point *it should be noted that I stopped at this point in my post and went and watched IGN's video review of Fable 2, when combined with the $30 price point it does look like a game that I should buy, I just need to make sure that my 360 still works before I order it.*

Getting back to Mass Effect 2, I started to watch one of IGN's new videos for it, and then changed my mind. I want to go into it with as little spoiled as possible, but it's safe to say that it's going to own me when it comes out.

I do have one question about the game though, do you know if you can carry over your character from the first game?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CS: Look, dude, I'm not going to argue with you. This thread isn't about Peter Molyneux, though, so let's move on, shall we?

Selcien: I don't disagree with your comments about Natal at all. In fact, I completely agree with you. But it just seems to me like you're wanting it to be more advanced than it's going to (probably) be. I don't like playing my video games jumping around the living room floor, either. But then, I never expect Natal to appeal to me as a gamer. It would appeal to my younger cousins, however, and friends and members of my family who don't play games. And that's who I feel it's supposed to be for, rather than advanced gamers.

You have to admit though, motion and voice commands for sifting through a video library to choose the one you want to play is pretty awesome. I'm always leaving the bloody remote on the TV stand.

In comparison to Project Natal though, have you seen Sony's motion controllers? That's some precision right there!

I really do recommend Fable 2. It's short and it's easy, but it has lots of replay value. It's one of the more *fun* games I've played on the system, and one of my favourites.

As for Mass Effect 2, yep you can carry over your character from the first game. Plus, all the choices that you made in the first game will have weight. The characters you killed off won't make an appearance in the second, for example.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Not much of a follower of the "latest and greatest" but did get to see the Assassin's Creed 2 trailer and was very impressed with it.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
reemixx said:
Selcien: I don't disagree with your comments about Natal at all. In fact, I completely agree with you. But it just seems to me like you're wanting it to be more advanced than it's going to (probably) be. I don't like playing my video games jumping around the living room floor, either. But then, I never expect Natal to appeal to me as a gamer. It would appeal to my younger cousins, however, and friends and members of my family who don't play games. And that's who I feel it's supposed to be for, rather than advanced gamers.
I'm not wanting anything from it as I consider it to be an unnecessary additional investment in the 360, in fact, since I'm thinking about Mass Effect again I've started thinking again about whether I should stick with the 360 for Mass Effect, or move to the PC. *sigh* What to do, what to do...

No. When it comes to Natal I think that Microsoft made a crucial mistake by putting an emphasis on controller-less gaming. If you take what they have, tossed in a control for more advanced gameplay, you'd easily have the best motion control interface on the market, but as it is now you have three incomplete motion control interfaces competing with each other (Nintendo needs more than just a controller, Sony and Microsoft need a controller for movement).

I want to add though that I can only imagine the kind of accidents people are going to have with Natal, I mean, you already have people hurting themselves using the Wii-mote, the full body movement will allow for an even broader range of injuries.

reemixx said:
You have to admit though, motion and voice commands for sifting through a video library to choose the one you want to play is pretty awesome. I'm always leaving the bloody remote on the TV stand.
I'd much rather use a d-pad but then it's a moot issue since I don't have a video library, rather, I just go grab a BD.

reemixx said:
In comparison to Project Natal though, have you seen Sony's motion controllers? That's some precision right there!
I wasn't planning on checking it out but I went and looked after making my last post. I found the E3 video to be highly entertaining and it looks like they'll be able to replicate my favorite part of the Wii-mote, the aiming. There's still the question of how they're going to handle in game movement as it seems to have the same issues that Natal has, at least based on what I saw in the E3 presentation.

reemixx said:
I really do recommend Fable 2. It's short and it's easy, but it has lots of replay value. It's one of the more *fun* games I've played on the system, and one of my favourites.
I checked my 360, it still works, and I updated the UI. I was planning on getting Fable 2 after checking out amazon's Blu-ray TV Days sale which starts on the fifth (I've been waiting for that sale), but now that I'm reconsidering using my PC for Mass Effect I'm going to have to put it on hold (I don't want to sink any more money into the 360 if I don't have to).

reemixx said:
As for Mass Effect 2, yep you can carry over your character from the first game. Plus, all the choices that you made in the first game will have weight. The characters you killed off won't make an appearance in the second, for example.
I always hope for this but it never seems to happen, really cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,236 Posts
reemixx said:
CS: Look, dude, I'm not going to argue with you. This thread isn't about Peter Molyneux, though, so let's move on, shall we?

Selcien: I don't disagree with your comments about Natal at all. In fact, I completely agree with you. But it just seems to me like you're wanting it to be more advanced than it's going to (probably) be.
I don't want to argue either, but the reason he's expecting it to be more advanced is because Peter Molyneux has hyped it to be that way.

See my point now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Well, it looks like my PC experiment has ended in failure. I purchased Mass Effect from Steam last night, it finished downloading this morning, when I attempted to launch the game after I got home from work I got a "Mass Effect has stopped working" error, and the game refused to launch. I ended up going to EA's site and according to their System Requirements Checker my PC cannot run it, and the video card I have (Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family) was written in red text, so I guess that's the problem. So it looks like I just tossed $20 into the trash and was given a strong reminder of why I do not game on PC's, 'cause even if I somehow managed to get it to work, it's just too much of a hassle.

Anyway, Amazon's Blu-ray TV Days sale sucks, I might have managed to save a dollar on the sixth season of Smallville  ::), but that's all the "sale" offered me , so I ended up only ordering two boxsets (Smallville S6 and True Blood S1), which left enough room to get Fable 2, it should arrive on Tuesday.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top