Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked to a couple of people who have a Kindle and still like to read DTB's better.  They like the feel of a book.  I find the Kindle easier on my hands compared to holding open a paperback book or the weight of a hard cover book.  I tell people Kindle's easier on the eyes and the hands.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I totally agree Avalon3!  At the very least.... the paper pages from DTBs only worsens my dry, winter-plagued hands and so I am not having as many problems this winter now that I have my Kindle.  I also have occasional problems with tendonitis that my Kindle is helping.... and my eyes no longer get scratchy and sore now that I'm reading on my Kindle. 

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I read mine in the case and that gives me the feel of a DTB. I find it is so much easier to hold and less stress on my hands. I can also read at night in bed much easier. I read a lot of hard backs, so the Kindle is much lighter and easier to handle.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Avalon3 said:
I find the Kindle easier on my hands compared to holding open a paperback book or the weight of a hard cover book. I tell people Kindle's easier on the eyes and the hands.
I find it easier to hold as well.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Kindle is much easier for me to hold onto also. I have a DTB sitting by the couch that I should be reading for a group that I keep putting off because it's a hardcover and is heavy! I guess I could get it on my Kindle to read and just take the book to the group.

Lynn L

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last November I had problems with carpal tunnel syndrome from using my computer mouse.  I sent everyone emails and told them I was cutting back on computer usage until it got better.  The doctor also had me wear a brace at night.

I didn't have a problem with holding the Kindle.  I would have had big problems holding a heavy DTB. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
Unless those of high aesthetics are reading finely bound volumes printed on archival stock, I can't think of any way that a cheaply printed $7.00 paperback provides any satisfying sensory experiance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
gertiekindle said:
I enjoy holding the leather cover. I've never owned a leather-bound book. Now all my books are leather-bound. 8)
Perfectly stated and I'm right there with you Gertie!! Love my Oberon leather.... hoping for another for spring!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Teninx said:
Unless those of high aesthetics are reading finely bound volumes printed on archival stock, I can't think of any way that a cheaply printed $7.00 paperback provides any satisfying sensory experiance.
LOL! I totally agree! I always hated reading mass market paperbacks - so convenient to stick in my purse, but they were always snapping closed, so it's very difficult to do something else (like eat) while reading.

G

·
gertiekindle said:
I enjoy holding the leather cover. I've never owned a leather-bound book. Now all my books are leather-bound. 8)
That must of really cost a lot to convert your paper backs to leather bindings. :)

I usually read my Kindle on bound and put it back in the cover when done.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I perfer the kindle because I also find it easier on my hands, I always had a hard time read dtb book while in bed, and on the bus read dtb books was so difficult. I like be able to take my kindle with me and having a lot of books to choose from.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I also have occasional problems with tendonitis that my Kindle is helping.... and my eyes no longer get scratchy and sore now that I'm reading on my Kindle.
I totally agree - much easier on this ol' body from shoulder to hands, and eyeballs! Haven't had to hold with my feet yet. Probably would with DTBs. :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
I love holding my Kindle as opposed to a DTB. The only thing I miss about the DTB is the book jacket/paperback cover. I used to love savoring the cover art, author photo, and the blurbs about the book and author. Having said that, I have several DTB's on loan from friends and can't bring myself to read any of them. Kindle is much easier on the body.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was on the verge of having to use *cough* reading glasses. Jinx has saved me from that...for the time being :p Though I haven't been diagnosed with RA...on occasion I get terrible pains in my hands. Reading on Jinx is more enjoyable and for those days where my hands hurt or can't grip...I can still read comfortably :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I much perfer reading on the Kindle than a DTB books... I have a few DTB I haven't read and aren't avialable in Kindle format - and as much as I want to read them (for the story) can't bring myself to yet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had problems with my hands, especially my thumbs, holding open dtbs was getting difficult.  No problem with my Kindle!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts