Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just spent the better part of an hour trying to format my Word file so that it will convert properly for hard copy. On the print previewer everything is fine except for ONE PAGE that is for some reason misaligned and off. There's no difference on that one page in the rest of the file that I can find.

I've adjusted margins, bleed, followed the format that is in the help file and this one page is still off for some reason. This is hugely frustrating. If anyone has a good guide or tips I would appreciate it. 

·
Registered
594 Posts
Paperbacks are the worst. I guess that's what we get for murdering trees. No help offered, just sympathy. For my paperbacks I'd just send them through and let amazon fix any issues for me. But that was more me just giving up not wanting to mess with it. My biggest issue was cover pics. I could never get one to actually be 300ppi after uploading it to the cover creator, so I'd have to crop it and make it look really ugly.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This is one among many reasons some authors (and a variety of other professions) use rather esoteric software. For typesetting, I use something called LaTeX.

https://www.latex-project.org/

TeX was designed almost 50 years ago for the express purpose of typesetting computer manuals, textbooks and other kinds of publications that include things like diagrams, scientific notation, equations and so forth. I use it for rather elementary things by comparison, but one thing I can tell you about it is this: it never surprises me. When I format a page, I get EXACTLY the results I expect without exception.

It never produces obscure error messages. It doesn't hang for 20 minutes. It doesn't rev the CPU to 100% for no reason. It doesn't create pop-up dialogs asking me if I'm sure. It doesn't have a #%(&*@%*(& progress bar. I don't have to reboot. It doesn't make cloying harp-like sounds while it slides irrelevant updates and important-sounding notifications from one side of the screen or the other. It doesn't load a full-screen tutorial with a cartoon rabbit that asks if I need help. It doesn't require me to open a DOS prompt. There's no focus-group-tested vaguely-soccer-mom-like synthetic voice introducing itself and offering me a tour. It doesn't erase hours of work so it can install a wallpaper update. It doesn't go through my manuscript lecturing me about passive voice and comma usage. Frankly, it doesn't have time for any of that. LaTeX can typeset a 100,000-word novel in about four seconds.

LaTeX is a markup language, which you can author with a text editor. It uses roughly the same principle as HTML. When you "compile" TeX, you get a PDF. It runs on Linux systems natively. I'm sure there are implementations for Mac and Windows.

For purposes of comparison, I stopped using Microsoft Word seriously in 1996 for the same reason I no longer use Windows, Office or any other Microsoft software seriously: it is a minimal-quality, sloppy product that produces minimal-quality, sloppy results.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
In your Word ribbon you can turn on formatting so it all shows. Use the paragraph symbol in the paragraph section of the Home ribbon.

Look to see if you have some random formatting on that page. That's the only thing I can think of, but chances are you've done that already.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did the paperback version pop a paragraph signal down/over so it's actually at the start of the next page? You wouldn't be able to see that on the paperback version, and on the Word version it would look normal. 

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Try the simple things first. Turn on the paragraph markers. Make sure at the page on your Word doc you have no tab key arrows. They show as a horizontal arrow pointing right. If you have, back space them out and try again.

Your problem isn't clear in the way its described. Is it the margins that are different, or paras broken up and starting mid-para on the next line. Or is it say a complete blank space pushing everything onto the next page?

Depending on the exact description of the problem, there are other things I can suggest. If you reply, state your version of Word, also if the problem also shows up when you save your document as a PDF in Word. You have an option to save your Word doc as a PDF as a separate file type in Word where it says "save as" . Make sure its saved for print purposes

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
Amazon has a free book that's supposed to tell you what formatting you need. I haven't looked at it in a while, so not sure if it's updated, as Amazon is always tweaking something.

That said, it's probably as others have noted, an issue with Word putting in something it shouldn't.  You could print out only those few pages at home and see if it comes out right.

·
Registered
115 Posts
An easy (but lengthy) guide to Word formatting. (Not mine, I just saw it recently.)

How to format your print book in Microsoft Office Word. Step by step guide.

A video I've been meaning to do for years, how to format your print book in Word, super simple. I'll show you step by step and you can watch how I format an 80.000 word novel in about an hour, from the original file to the finished PDF product you'll need for places like Amazon's KDP Print and Ingram Spark.

youtube.com/watch?v=sC8-vfcj53I

1 - 8 of 8 Posts