Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a little confused over these issues.  I love to shop on Ebay.  The last week or so I have noticed several auctions as follows: 

"It's Finaly here Ladies, Its what all the Kindle owners have been waiting for , A best Seller Ebook Library on a Sd Card! Its Small but it is so simple! All you Do Is insert the Sd card into your Kindle One and you are ready to go! No more File Transfering. No more converting. No more Emailing yourself.  This little sd card is chock full of Best sellers you all know and love. 1gb card, with enough Ebooks to keep you Busy for a year or more! There is over 200 Best selling Ebook here. This is not Public Domain Classics.These are not books that you can find for free in all over the internet. These are Authors you know and Love."

It is a great deal, but I have questions about the legality of this auction.  If that isn't enough, would the SD card mentioned above work with another K1?

Please advise.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Tippy said:
I am a little confused over these issues. I love to shop on Ebay. The last week or so I have noticed several auctions as follows:

"It's Finaly here Ladies, Its what all the Kindle owners have been waiting for , A best Seller Ebook Library on a Sd Card! Its Small but it is so simple! All you Do Is insert the Sd card into your Kindle One and you are ready to go! No more File Transfering. No more converting. No more Emailing yourself. This little sd card is chock full of Best sellers you all know and love. 1gb card, with enough Ebooks to keep you Busy for a year or more! There is over 200 Best selling Ebook here. This is not Public Domain Classics.These are not books that you can find for free in all over the internet. These are Authors you know and Love."

It is a great deal, but I have questions about the legality of this auction. If that isn't enough, would the SD card mentioned above work with another K1?

Please advise.
I am always suspicious of sellers who don't know how to spell and don't know the basics of grammar. That said...

I'd be concerned about the legality of this, yes. You can buy from some sources that do not have DRM and can be read on multiple devices. However, just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's legal. For example, at Fictionwise, they have this statement:

Am I allowed to email an eBook to a friend?
Sorry, that is not allowed by law. These stories are copyrighted. If you email a file to a friend, you are making a copy of it. You would be committing a crime. The file is licensed to you and you alone. It's not like a physical book that you can loan to a friend. When you purchase and download an eBook from Fictionwise.com, you alone are authorized to read it. You can download it onto multiple devices, for example a Palm and also your home PC. That's allowed by your personal license. But you cannot send copies to any other person. Besides being illegal, making an unauthorized copy of a work deprives the author of their fair royalty, and makes it harder for us to acquire more content in the future. If we catch a violator, we will prosecute him or her to the fullest extent of the law, which can include heavy fines and even imprisonment. So please don't do it. We charge reasonable prices, don't steal from us and our authors.

Thus, if the books on the SD card came from Fictionwise, the seller would be breaking the law. Same for books from other publishers. Books purchased from Amazon and stored on an SD card won't open on the Kindle, period, if it is not the Kindle for which the books were purchased.

How much are they selling these cards for?

L

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
^^^ What she said.  If it was me, I'd want to see a list of the books on the card before I'd be willing to buy it.  It's either illegal, as Leslie said or they're just public domain books from feedbooks or manybooks -- which you can get yourself for free.

And if they are all free public domain type books, which it would be perfectly legal to load up on an SD drive like that, where do they get off saying they're 'Best Sellers'.  Of course, most PD books are best sellers, just not current best sellers.  Either way, don't pay more than an empty SD card would cost you. :D  'Cause that's all you can be sure you're getting.

Ann

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are selling them for $37.99, free shipping.  Go to ebay and look for item # 250393082932.  Seller has a 99.2% positive rating. 

The Seller does not list any PD books.  For instance they have the Sookie Stackhouse series (8 books); Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter series (19); Sandra Hill Viking series (10); J.D. Robb (over 20); Karen Hawkins (14); Iris Johanson (9); Eve Duncan (9); Jane Feather (7); Kim Harrison (2); Georgette Heyer (4); Janet Chapman (5); Julia Quinn (9); Laura Kinsale (9); Lavyrle Spencer (5); Kat Martin (7); Julia Quinn (7); Nora Roberts (23); Lindsey Johanna (3); Cheryl Holt (1); Alecia Monaco (4); Sabrina Jeffries (8); Lindsay Sands (19); Gena Showalter (7); and several others authors.   

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
O.K.  My feeling is that either (1) they're illegal copies or (2) they won't work on your Kindle because, as Leslie pointed out, they're only licensed for one device and you can't just swap out SD cards. 

The question is does the seller know this or not?  Based on the good rating they may just be ignorant. . . .

I wouldn't do it even if they were books/authors I was interested in. 

Thanks for the info though. . . .

Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
If no one has any objections, I'm going to split the last part of this thread about the e-bay issue into it's own thread so we can keep following it but also allow folks to continue to follow the 7th device thread.

Thanks.

Ann

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
The fact that a seller has a high rating with eBay buyers doesn't mean that the product is legal, it just means the buyers are happy.

Under US law, if the books are not public domain the seller would be required to have an agreement with the copyright owner. I seriously doubt that any such agreements exist.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Trekker said:
Thread splitting?? THAT'S IT...I'M LEAVING!!! ;D

Just kidding... :D
Tain't funny.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
And this is the answer I received from the seller:

Not these are not Public Domain Ebooks. These are Ebooks I purchase from a variety of Different Sources. Yes they will work with your Kindle.

I am debating a follow up question.

L

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Seriously doesn't sound legal.  Does this person have a distribution deal?  I think not...probably DRM stripped versions then copied and sold.

Betsy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
We're aware we can use other Ebooks.  Amazon has never held us hostage.  Still sounds a bit fishy.  If she can do that, then why can't others, and why is it not more widely publized?  I would think our authors here would know about it.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Trekker said:
Here's the latest reply from the seller:

"It is Legal because I have Purchased resell Rights. I do not take illegal copies and resell them as some other sellers do. I purchase genuine copies and resell them. I have a Limited number of Resell rights. I can not just resell untill I die. I purchase xx amount of copies and when they are gone they are gone. Alot Kindle Owners ask the Same Questions you Do. Amazon sets up their Kindles and Whisper net excluseively for their own books. But You can use other Ebooks."
It sounds like a load of bull to me. Woner if he knows he's talking to a bunch of ebook/kindle experts ???

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
It sounds like a load of bull to me. Woner if he knows he's talking to a bunch of ebook/kindle experts ???
And quite a number of total people at this board.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
I agree. . . .it smells worse and worse the more I hear. . . . .I mean, the books definitely are available elsewhere, but surely, even if there are not specific DRM issues that would prevent them from being read on the Kindle, there'd some kind of copyright issue.  From fictionwise, doesn't it specifically say you can't e-mail a book you buy to a friend because that's making a copy.  If she's not 'selling' her copies, a la a used bookstore scenario, she's definitely on thin ice.

Or he.  Could be a he.  :)

Ann

1 - 20 of 154 Posts