Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm sure others have posted on this, but really, what's up with the names of eReaders and eBook services? It just seems like most of the major players have product or service naming issues:

Kindle = start a fire (to do what, burn books?)

Nook is too close to nooky/nookie which people will always take over reading (or nuke-I've heard it pronounced this way)

Pubit - B&N's publisher service. Come on, pube-it? If a cubit is the distance from your elbow to your wrist, is a pubit the distance from your navel to your pubes? (Cubit at wikipedia

Smashwords - what, were destroywords, crushwords and abusewords already taken?

Diesel - Fossil fuel based?

iPad - with wings? Super-absorbent...

Kobo is an anagram of the word "book", rhymes with hobo, okay I can't really find anything wrong with Kobo.

Any others?

·
Registered
296 Posts
ChrisHoward said:
Nook is too close to nooky/nookie which people will always take over reading (or nuke-I've heard it pronounced this way)
Okay - I had always heard that erotica sold better on the Nook(ie) than other ereaders - perhaps we now know why. Hmm ... ;D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Raymond Birdsell said:
Okay - I had always heard that erotica sold better on the Nook(ie) than other ereaders - perhaps we now know why. Hmm ... ;D
I got stung last year I reckon. I bought a Bebook.

G

·
ChrisHoward said:
Kobo is an anagram of the word "book", rhymes with hobo, okay I can't really find anything wrong with Kobo.
For the longest time, I kept calling it Kodo. I'm sure any Horde players here did the same thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tkkenyon said:
There was the old Rocket Book platform, which I always thought sounded rather phallic.

I also have a Sony Reader. Not an inventive name, so it perfectly fits the Sony Reader. (Although I like the touch screen on it. And how well it displays PDFs and EPUBs.)

TK Kenyon
Yeah, but at least rocket sounds modern.

I read almost exclusively on my iPad now, but my first reader was a Sony PRS-500--got it in 2006. I was hooked.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts