Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this before but did not make it clear. Is anyone having success SELLING ebooks through goodreads.com? I know you can give away books there, which I have done, but my question is related to selling books through their web site. It looks very cumbersome and restrictive to me, but maybe I'm being too harsh. Has anyone had any success? How easy are they to deal with? Is it easy to make changes once you've posted your book for sale? Thanks.

Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took a look at that site yesterday, I havent posted any books there yet, but according to the ratings, if a true reflection of actual reads and not just a click popularity contest, then it has some serious traffic and a huge reader base.

I would also be interested to se if people have had any positive or negative experience with that site.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have sold quite a few books through Goodreads.  My books link automatically to Amazon, so the customers on Goodreads are not hesitant to click through to Amazon.  I have made almost 300 friends on Goodreads, and a good number of them have purchased copies of my books.  Over 100 people on Goodreads have one of my books on their to-read lists.  Goodreads is worth investing in since you have a large reader base there.  Just don't spam them.  They will flag you very quickly for abuse.  Follow their guidelines for authors and where they are able to post about their books, and you will do fine there.

Katrina

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have my book for sale there--just did it so can't really comment on sales, but the site is pretty easy to use.  If they would allow ebook giveaways it would be fabulous, because their giveaways are great exposure.  I am traditionally published as well as an indie publisher of my books and I do giveaways of my trad published books all the time, with thousands of entrants for each contest.  I wish that kind of exposure was available for indie books.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Jack, I'm also a TradPubbed author. Do you give away your hardcovers on Goodreads or do you give away the e-versions.  I'm sort of confused by Goodreads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Katrina. I think I'll give it a try.

Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com

·
Registered
901 Posts
As a direct answer to the question, no. I haven't sold a SINGLE copy through them.

I do think it enables some of my readers to preview the work, but I wouldn't count on that as a revenue stream.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
My two books have been available for direct download from Goodreads for 2 weeks. No sales yet.

I think this is a soft launch of this feature while the test how it works, because they don't promote it other than a subtle link. Makes sense. They don't push it to the reader either, the Amazon links are more prominent.

Goodreads moving into bookselling is a logical step. There are a few funny things about listing there - the minimum price is $1, and there were a couple of other weird things I can't remember.

I think it's worth doing though, it only takes a minute, and readers can check out your sample.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts