Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been discussed before I apologize.

How is everyone's ebook sales doing vs their printed sales? I'm now doing probably 10-15 ebook sales for every printed copy, although I haven't been out doing many book signings lately. Just wondering how everyone else is doing.

Larry Buttram
www.larrybuttram.com

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've sold more paperback than ebooks right now at least... I attribute this to the people I know buying my books... those people around me that can pick up a paperback copy of the book.  BUT I will say that this month, ebook sales have WAY outnumbered paperback.  8)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Yes, there have been threads on this before, and you're selling a much higher proportion of printed books than most, but if you do book signings that may explain it. Most of us sell both paper and ebooks online only. I think, generally, most indie authors sell about 2% paper. I thought I was high at 4%.

P.S. Since I make more for a $2.99 ebook than for an $11.99 paperback, I'm quite content to sell mostly ebooks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
ellenoc said:
Yes, there have been threads on this before, and you're selling a much higher proportion of printed books than most, but if you do book signings that may explain it. Most of us sell both paper and ebooks online only. I think, generally, most indie authors sell about 2% paper. I thought I was high at 4%.

P.S. Since I make more for a $2.99 ebook than for an $11.99 paperback, I'm quite content to sell mostly ebooks.
This. ^^^

But, I wish I had more time to do book signings because there is something very rewarding about knowing someone has your actual book on the shelf.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I first started out, I sold more printed books. But as someone mentioned, that was when friends and family were buying the books, and few of them had Kindles, or they felt print copies made my book more real, or they were buying as presents for people.

Once my sales went past about 100, the shift began, now over a year and a half later, and over 11,000 books sold, all most all of my books are ebooks. In April only 6% were print. On the other hand, I don't do any particular promotion (books signings, books tours, print review) for print books and don't plan to because the cost in time and money seem to outweigh the benefit for an indie author who doesn't have widespread presence in books stores.

I did notice that at christmas time, again gift buying time, I got up to 100 print books sold in December, but that was again only 5% of my total books sold. :)

M. Louisa Locke
author of Maids of Misfortune: A Victorian San Francisco Mystery

1 - 7 of 7 Posts