Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you heard that? I've heard it numerous times and always from those who don't own a Kindle and have no clue what they're talking about. My 155 ebooks have cost an average of $1.138 each. If I took out my 3 most expensive purchases it would drop to 99.3 cents per book. I could also subtract the cost of those books I didn't buy because sampling showed me I didn't want it and that would likely bring my total below a dollar including my 3 splurges. I never thought to keep track of that information until recently. In any event, it's pretty clear who has no Kindle by their comments on prices.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Agreed! I have bought one $9.99 book, the rest have been $4.99 or less. Of my over 200 books on the Kindle, 100 were free. Haven't done the math but I can't have spent much, there are several one cent books in there as well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I totally agree.  I have been keeping track of the price per book, but I have included the price of the kindle with it.  I haven’t had the Kindle a week yet, and I only have 22 books on my kindle so far, but I am already very satisfied with my “Price per book” count!  

Now I will agree that in the past I never really bought books, I always got them from the library, so having a Kindle is 100% more expensive then my reading habit in the past.  However, in the past I never dragged my library books around with me, I also forgot to return them on time.  Having all my books on my Kindle with me at all times with no worries of returning them on time is well worth the extra cost.

Unfortunately those that think e-books are too expensive don’t find value in what the Kindle offers, so they will never be able to be convinced otherwise.  I am just glad to have found the Kindle myself.

Rachel

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well I agree with them, if someone is not an avid reader, the cost of ebooks is expensive.  A person can't compare just the cost of the individual books to their paper counterparts, but also the cost of getting the reader in the first place.  If someone only reads 2-3 books a year, it will be a long time before the cost of ebook reader is counteracted by the savings of cheaper ebooks.  Now if our example reads 2-3 books a week, they will hit that threshold very quickly.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
530 Posts
I agree. While I would like some books to drop in price, by in large most of my books are fairly inexpensive. In my opinion, reading is still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment. I may play around with figuring out what the average cost per book is and what that difference would be for DTBs.

I also agree with the sample books point. I have lost count of the books that I got samples of because I thought they would be interesting and found that well...they were not. With DTBs I would have been out that money.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If only the people would realize.. all the Classics we get for free they have to purchase if they wna tto read them!  I just recently got several from Feedbooks that I have always wanted to read again... can you imagine how much that would have been?  Ha, Kindling isn't expensive.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I, too, track ebooks purchased.  Excluding free books, my average cost per book is  $5.43.  If free books actually read are included, that drops to an average of $5.09 per book.  If all free non-public domain books are included, it drops to $3.72.  Add 50 free public domain titles and it is only $2.55 per book.  Keeping cheapskate thrift aside, none of these examples are too expensive.

Now averaging the costs of books is not really the best to judge the costs of ebooks.  I don't think $9.99 is unreasonable for most new hardcovers.  Up to $12.99 or so would probably be acceptable for some new titles too.  While there are some exceptions out there, most authors and publishers need to make a living and not every book can be sold for under $5.00 every time.

Throwing another wrench into the machine, I see a lot of people complain about the cost of the Kindle or Sony reader.  A lot of them seem to say the Kindle should cost almost nothing: or, the Kindle should have a give away the razor and sell the blade marketing ploy.  If those people had their way, the costs of ebooks would have to be higher.  But, then again, I'm willing to bet the kind of people who advocate very inexpensive Kindles would also download illegal file shares.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The value of what the Kindle offers is one thing -- what about the value of reading?  I have never worried about the cost of reading and I never will.  For me, that would be like worrying about the cost of breathing.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I have had my Kindle a little over 9 months and at 20-30 books per month have more than redeemed the cost of the Kindle.  I have never downloaded a book from anywhere but Amazon, so I haven't even taken advantage of the savings from Feedbooks, etc.  My personal price point is whether a kindlebook is the same price or less expensive than I can buy it at a store, so there are some Kindle "paperbacks" I would like to read that I haven't purchased because they don't fit that criteria.  There are always more books to be purchased that do fit the criteria so I don't worry about running out of reading material.  I used to keep track and I think in my early kindling I came up with something like $4.79/book.  I have downloaded a lot of free and bargain books since then so I am sure it would be less now.  I quit keeping track, I just read and enjoy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Graydog said:
The value of what the Kindle offers is one thing -- what about the value of reading? I have never worried about the cost of reading and I never will. For me, that would be like worrying about the cost of breathing.
That's how I feel to. I buy what books I want to read and read them. They give me hours of entertainment for at or below the price of one movie ticket at the theater. This is my hobby and a big peice of my entertainment - a book I really want to read at any price is worth it to me. I didn't worry about buying dtb before I had my Kindle and I don't worry now. The Kindle 2 just brought my hobby up to the next level!! (It helps that my husbands hobby is restoring cars and rebuilding motorcycles so a few hundred dollars in books every year is a drop in the bucket compared to what he spends on his "passion"!).

·
Registered
172 Posts
I generally like more expensive books for the Kindle. I've read some great books I paid full price for. Beyond the classics, I haven't enjoyed most of the cheaper ones I've bought. Part of that, though, may be my willingness to step out of my comfort zone more since getting the Kindle to poor result.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
All of my e-books have been free, or classics, and just lately I have spent .99 cents on a few of the new authors' books.

I still buy regular old paper books, I just like the antiquity and nostalgia of them. I can't seem to spend that same price on an e-book though.

-sailor

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a hard time believing that anyone spends $359 plus accessories for a device to make their reading inexpensive.  We are readers.  We have no choice.  The Kindle is a magnificent means to fulfill our sweet addiction.  And it becomes an addiction all on its own.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Zeronewbury,

I think over time the $359 plus accessories will be eaten away and the reader will see a net gain, assuming the reader is a complete book slut. 

In a true cost comparison for me I would need to include:

The cost of the Kindle 2 and accessories
The cost of ebooks purchased

compared to:

The cost if I bought the books in hardback (the way I purchased books)
The cost of mylar dustjacket protectors and adhesive strips to protect my hardbacks
The cost of additional shelves to protect the books

To me there will be a definite cost savings over time, especially since I am thinning out my book collection.  I bought new bookcases last month and the amount of shelving I needed was halved (books that found new homes + no longer needing space for expansion).  That saved me $1,000 (and that's with the shelving on sale for 50% off).  Plus it will reduce the needed square footage of my home, so we can stay in our townhouse longer, reducing our future housing costs.

Lara Amber 

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Zeronewbury said:
I have a hard time believing that anyone spends $359 plus accessories for a device to make their reading inexpensive. We are readers. We have no choice. The Kindle is a magnificent means to fulfill our sweet addiction. And it becomes an addiction all on its own.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
I am at about $1.65 a book. I have a skin and just got a second hand M-edge cover. I never really thought about the costs too much. I feel that as a lover of reading it is a necessity!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
As an author, my first Kindle book was priced at $9.99. Then after a month I lowered it to $5.99. Then, to $3.99. Now I have established a pricing policy for Kindle and ebooks at $3.99 no matter the size of the book - so my book Bobby's Trace (103 pages) = $3.99 on the Kindle - and my longest book, TheThird Peregrination (664 pages) = $ 3.99. Now the paperback versions are driven by size and cost, but authors too many times fall for the myth that readers need to pay for their time and talent. That's baloney, of course. I write novels to be reader, and its a collaborative effort between me, the author and you, the reader. It's a relationship that's to be fostered, not a commodity sale. That's why I like Kindleboards, because everyone here are interested in reading books on the Kindle. The Kindle removes issues of cost for authors. So by offering my books (all my books) for $3.99, and occasionally lowring the price to $ .99 (Amazon's lowest price option for Indie authors), I can establish more reading relationships. I, and several other readers and author, have encouraged this $3.99 sweet spot price for Kindle books, and constantly work with new and establish authors to see the light. I am proud to say I am responsible for at least five dozen book price reductions on the Kindle after engaging an author who priced at $9.99. When I see one introduced on the spot boards, I usually research the book, and if it is interesting, I tell the author that it sounds interesting, but a bit too highly priced for me. This usually starts a discussion going. The other engagement I also perform is when an author promotes an interesting book in paper, usually at a high price, to convince them that they should (if they have control of electronic rights) to go Indie also. Of course, 'I've written a book on how to leverage the Kindle and setup books on DTP. I sell the book true, but I have given it away to puzzled authors at least a dozen times since December (when it was published).

Keep the faith fellow Kindleboard members. Low prices can give you a good read or a bad read, but it you hold a standard to your purchasing (free is great too, especially since I have $3,777 titles on my Kindle, the majority FREE, just ask me - I'll help) and you'll find some gems out there.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also have to agree that the folks who want a Kindle for next to nothing would probably download illegal copies. My sisters thought my husband would have a fit over the cost, but the cost in his eyes is offset by the lack of piles of books that I have read, will read or am waiting to send off via paperbackswap.  To quote someone else I am a self-avowed book-slut, I probably spend about 1/2 of what I make a month on books.  Yes, I have book shelves full and boxes in the garage of books I've read. 

So I look at it this way - I'm saving a few trees and in the process my husbands sanity.

Let's face it folks - ebooks are the wave of the future.  Our local school system just adopted a new social studies books in ebook format.  Now if Amazon would hurry that textbook size Kindle along and give schools a discount.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just want you to know I freak out everytime I see your username because those are my initials. Most of my communications I sign as ldb.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Zeronewbury said:
I have a hard time believing that anyone spends $359 plus accessories for a device to make their reading inexpensive. We are readers. We have no choice. The Kindle is a magnificent means to fulfill our sweet addiction. And it becomes an addiction all on its own.
true that! they are expensive (well some) but hey we're readers and its what makes us happy!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CoolMom1960 said:
I just want you to know I freak out everytime I see your username because those are my initials. Most of my communications I sign as ldb.
Those are my initials also and easy enough for me to remember that I use them as my forum username.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts