Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is could be handy for those of you that like making your own covers:

Via Gizmodo:

Adobe's giving us all a late Christmas present. You can grab yourself a free, legitimate copy of Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite 2, right now, direct from Adobe. No catch.

Well, unless you think having an Adobe account is a catch. Anyway, apparently Adobe's tired of keeping the activation servers running to support legitimate installs of the 10-year-old CS2, so it's decided to just give it away. Sounds great to me.

Handy if all you need is a quick image editor, Photoshop CS2 will still do all the basic things, just not the new fancy smart 'content aware' stuff. Free's free, so get over to Adobe.com and get downloading.
Here is the download link, though it looks like the server's getting absolutely hammered right now and the page wasn't available when I visited. I have no idea if this is a just-for-today thing or if it's going to be free in perpetuity, so keep checking back, I guess.

Edit: Per some comments further down the thread, Forbes has debunked the Gizmodo article. Sorry for the unverified optimism!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Thanks for the tip.  I'll keep an eye out for it coming back online.  :)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
MegSilver said:
I needed therapy after getting it to install on Win7, but still -- Most excellent.
I was sad to discover that my copy of Photoshop Elements 2.0 would not run reliably on Win7, and I wondered about having similar problems with this CS2 deal. But you got it to work? Any tips for a fellow writer who doesn't want any [more] therapy?

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I've been using Elements 3 for ages now and while it does most of what I need, some tools are not readily available and it's hard to find workarounds. Some techniques just can't be done without full Photoshop, and it'd be nice to have proper alpha channel support.

Sadly it appears the rumors of a giveaway are greatly exaggerated. Adobe is making a version available for existing licensed users that doesn't use their activation servers, but they're not making CS2 free. I'm surprised Gizmodo got the story wrong, though less surprised all the other outlets did.

Oh, well, no full Photoshop for me. But I highly recommend Elements to anyone, as it's very affordable and can do most of the same stuff, plus any Photoshop plugins should be Elements-compatible. Elements is basically just a slightly crippled version of the full program, and plugins often have access to features that you can't get at directly.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sorry, this is NOT true; Adobe is not giving away CS2. See the story on Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

I have recently gone to Adobe Creative Cloud computing. If you use Adobe products on a regular basis (or would like to use adobe products on a regular basis) it's a great deal. For a monthly subscription fee ($29.95 for me and they do still offer those sales) you get access to every single piece of software Adobe makes. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Premier and much, much more. Better yet, you download the software to your computer *and* can load it onto a second computer (as long as both computers do not run the programs at the same time). You get automatic upgrades, forever. And special upgrades and software regular users don't get. Best investment ever.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
DD Graphix said:
I have recently gone to Adobe Creative Cloud computing. If you use Adobe products on a regular basis (or would like to use adobe products on a regular basis) it's a great deal. For a monthly subscription fee ($29.95 for me and they do still offer those sales) you get access to every single piece of software Adobe makes. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat, Premier and much, much more. Better yet, you download the software to your computer *and* can load it onto a second computer (as long as both computers do not run the programs at the same time). You get automatic upgrades, forever. And special upgrades and software regular users don't get. Best investment ever.
Seconding this. I am in love with Adobe Creative Cloud.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
JRHenderson said:
Macs can run Windows, but PCs can't run Mac OS. So one possible solution is to buy a second-hand Mac, and use that as your Windows machine. Then, whenever you need to use Mac software, you can always reboot into Mac OS.

PCs can run Mac OS. There are problems with drivers, some cannot get WiFi working, but many people run a version of Mac OS on a PC - me included. This is just one of many tutorials.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-mac-os-x-on-a-pc-without-using-a-mac/

·
Registered
900 Posts
DRMarvello said:
I was sad to discover that my copy of Photoshop Elements 2.0 would not run reliably on Win7, and I wondered about having similar problems with this CS2 deal. But you got it to work? Any tips for a fellow writer who doesn't want any [more] therapy?
The second post on this page helped me figure it out...

Not that it really matters now.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Just so everyone knows, I recently moved from an old version of Photoshop to Photoshop Elements 11, which you can get on Amazon for $50.  There are some things Elements can't do, but none of them affect what's normally done to create book covers.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
swolf said:
Just so everyone knows, I recently moved from an old version of Photoshop to Photoshop Elements 11, which you can get on Amazon for $50. There are some things Elements can't do, but none of them affect what's normally done to create book covers.
Indeed. I've been using Elements 3.0 for a long time now. Most tutorials will still work with PSE 3, and you can find plenty of plugins and layer styles around that can be used without incident. Between that and Inkscape, it's usually all you need. A professional artist might have more need for the full Photoshop, but on the other hand they should also be able to do even more with less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.