Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Who else here is knee-deep in edits/proofing/re-reads/re-writes?

I think my eyeballs put in for transfer to my lower intestine about 18 hours ago.

sigh

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can read the book until you get friction burns on your eye lashes and it still sounds half decent, that's the test.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
modwitch said:
Just sent my WIP out to beta readers. Phew. Now I don't have to look at it again for a bit :p.

With the timeline I've set up for the next year, I'll likely always have one book in the first draft stage, and one in editing.
I do that, too. One delivery and one postmortem ongoing at all times. Change is as good as a rest and all that. Besides, I find that editing a WIP makes me produce better writing on the first draft WIP - sorta sharpens me up, I guess.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I am nearing the end of my current WIP and will be knee-deep in edits, soon. I have several chapters of edits from my crit partners. Bleh! PJ

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I become famous, I will tell everyone who asks that I have never had to do edits because my first drafts are always so pristine.

That should bring in the death threats, which should equal some nice free PR.

Master Plan Unfolding...

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'm at that 3/4 point in my WIP where I'm suffering from suck-itis (as I read today in D W Smith's blog.)  As in, "I suck." I'm looking forward to editing. At least I can get help with that, lol.

·
Registered
993 Posts
*raises hand* Doing the editing on The Unfinished Song: Taboo.

I have to deal with comments from my editor like: so is this battle at dusk or midnight? Was it ten years ago or eight? Is the name spelled with an "e" or an "a" ... that's before the check for typos!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently, I am editing my NaNo WIP for submission to a publisher by the end of the summer. I hope to get it to betas and proofers by the end of the month, if possible, so I can give it another round of edits.

As much as I want to throat punch Word comment bubbles from an editor, I remember them fondly when I'm doing it from scratch by myself.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
caethesfaron said:
Trying to get my book out to betas on Tuesday. All I can say is that coffee is my friend.

Oddly, though, even though rewriting is the most hellish part of the writing process, it is also the most rewarding for me. I get so proud of the littlest things when I'm rewriting.
I yanked out the ending - it was a NaNoWriMo project, so I think those last days I was on the authors version of meth or something - and am re-writing that. This bothers me, as I have never had to edit to such a drastic extent before.

However, re-reading the okay parts is really nice - it's not a bad book, at all, even if I do say so myself. A lot of it is really quite a clean draft.

Either that or I am just as crazy as I was last November. Either way, I'm cool.

Except for this new ending. blah.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just finished retooling both my books. And now it's on to complete the trilogy. Self-publishing is not for the lazy at all! But a good review makes it all worth it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too tired, and having trouble finding my editing groove. Coffee is doing nothing for me tonight. bah.

Have one betareader willing and confirmed for early July, though, so yay! That's some good motivation.

·
Registered
338 Posts
editor's comment to writer - there are no beaches in Vegas... at least not real ones.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, of my first experience with honest-to-goodness re-writes, I can say I am not fond of it.

Note to self: Never let it come to this again, kay?

·
Registered
733 Posts
*raises hand* I'm editing my YA novel that's due to my editor in 2.5 months but keep getting distracted by new ideas. :) I've given myself a bit of leeway to play with other pretty-shinies in reward for finally finishing something but I am going to have to buckle down soon to finish this - so far I have a lot of rewrites to do as this story was drafted quickly.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had about three months to do my edits on my last release. I got so bogged down with the day job and life, etc, that I ended up having to cram all my edits into 10 days.

It was nearly a massacre.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Adam Pepper said:
Have read my book so many times I think I could recite it word for word...........
I feel that way a lot, too. What's even worse is having read through 100 times and someone else sees an obvious error I overlooked. ;D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts