Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very first Kindle, a DX, will be arriving on Wednesday! 

I need some advice: how do you go about choosing which book edition to buy at the Amazon store?  I've heard that some of the product photos don't match the product (for example, one edition of Anna Karenina sells for $1.59, and the photo shown is the excellent pevear and volkonsky translation.  But in the comments a reader warns buyers away--apparently the download brings a different, crappy edition.  Look a little further and you will find what seems to be the correct version, this time for $9.99.)  For me, getting certain editions is *sometimes* critical, but I don't know how to be certain that I'm paying for the right thing.  If you look up any classic--say something by Jane Austen--you will get a ton of free copies (are some better than others?) plus editions that are more expensive and show a penguin cover, but don't say anything about penguin in the book description.  I generally read the supporting materials when getting a novel (introduction, notes, etc.), so I like to know who the publisher is.

Any tips? 

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If there are multiple editions of the same book on Kindle, it's most likely in the public domain and can be found for free (legally) on the net.

feedbooks.com and mobileread.com are two such sites.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I rarely buy public domain books from Amazon, you can get them free from a wide variety of sources. Public domain books seem to be the ones most likely to have numerous editions. You can always get a free sample to check out the formatting.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
As said before, you can get public domain editions for free elsewhere; however, you may get a more accurate text from an established publisher of the classics, e.g., Bantam or Signet.

For example, all free editions of Heart of Darkness contain the same error in the first sentence because the source text, Project Gutenburg, wasn't able to format italics in its early years. While this may only be a minor mistake, it is still a textual inaccuracy not found in the Bantam Kindle edition. If you don't mind small mistakes, then go for a free edition, but you may find it worthwhile to pay a few bucks for a better text.

You should sample from free sources and established publishers for the Kindle before deciding on the edition you want. Also, especially for the Russian classics, stay away from the Constance Garnett translations.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Definitely sample sample sample.  And like people have said, Project Gutenberg generally has nice editions of public domain novels and it doesn't clog your archives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts