Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you read them? Do they make a difference in your determining factor on buying/sampling a book?

I've had some great reviews - some are bloggers/reviewers. Could I (and SHOULD I) use them under my Amazon description? A few are sitting over on Goodreads. Can I use them if I put the review in quotes and state the source? I wouldn't want to upset a book reviewer, but I imagine if it's on Goodreads or Shelfari, or a book blog site, it's sort of public anyway, right?

In other words, not sure of the protocol here and I want to play nicely and fairly with others.

G

·
Michelle Muto said:
I've had some great reviews - some are bloggers/reviewers. Could I (and SHOULD I) use them under my Amazon description? A few are sitting over on Goodreads. Can I use them if I put the review in quotes and state the source? I wouldn't want to upset a book reviewer, but I imagine if it's on Goodreads or Shelfari, or a book blog site, it's sort of public anyway, right?
No, do NOT reproduce reviews from Goodreads and social sites without permission! There is not such thing as "sort of public."

The general protocols are as such:

If you send a reviewer a review copy, they are suppose to provide you with a copy of the review which you can use in promotional material. In the past, this would have been a hard copy or a tear sheet of the review, Today, you generally just get a link to where the review is posted. You may cite the review so long as it is properly credited.

When a customer decides to post a review, there is no understanding that the review will be used by you for marketing purposes. You have no riight to the customer's name or review for purposes of marketing. You can, of course, always ask them for permission to reproduce the review. But they have the right to refuse and that should be respected.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Michelle Muto said:
Do any of you read them? Do they make a difference in your determining factor on buying/sampling a book?

In other words, not sure of the protocol here and I want to play nicely and fairly with others.
You could drop the reviewer a message on GoodReads and ask for permission to quote them under the editorial reviews section on Amazon/B&N. Some reviewers have a specific protocol, only allowing you to use so many words in the quote, but it can be incredibly helpful if they allow it. I had a great review on Tor.com by their columnist Mur Lafferty and I just dropped her an email to ask if I could quote her. She was happy to oblige.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts