Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we can embed YouTube videos directly into our forum posts.

Here's an example. (Click the video to play it!)

To post a YouTube video:

1. Find the video that you want on YouTube.

2. Copy the URL for that video. The URL is displayed in your browser's address bar when you're viewing the video. (It's also in the URL box to the right of the video.)

3. Paste the URL into your post.

4. Select the URL, and click on the YouTube button (it looks like this:
)

5. Preview or post your message, and the YouTube video will be playable right within your message.

Let me know if you have any problems with it!

- Harvey

B

·
0 Posts
Oh GOD please rethink this.  YouTube is the new illiterate, profane medium of the most idiotic and the most profane.  It is the voice of the kidlets who can only remember something for thirty seconds and barely  hit the link fast enough.  AND, they are (rightfully) about to lose a zillion dollar lawsuit for refusing to police themselves and for allowing free sharing of anything, anybook, anysong, anymovie, anytime!

B

·
0 Posts
Fine. Now we get to host illegal segments of The Princess Bride nine minutes at a time.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you, Jim. It is something we'll definitely have to monitor, and moderate. We certainly don't want this forum to become a YouTube free-for-all.

We'll stay on top of it, and if need be we'll re-think this after we see how it gets used.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Great Job Harvey!  First question:

How could you open everything in the box and the player last??  When I got my iPod, I ripped it open first to go ooohhh and aahhhh!!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kirstin said:
Great Job Harvey! First question:

How could you open everything in the box and the player last?? When I got my iPod, I ripped it open first to go ooohhh and aahhhh!!
I was trying to build some anticipation!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Harvey said:
I was trying to build some anticipation!
ha ha ha - I'm an instant gratification sort of girl which is why I love the Kindle. Think of a book at 3 AM. Bookstores are closed but not my Kindle. Boom! There's the book!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Harvey added this feature per my request, so I could post my tutorials directly in posts vs. people having to go directly to YouTube... A convenience for our members.

My preference would, of course, be to host the videos directly, but I'm pretty sure Harvey doesn't have that kind of cash to pay for the bandwidth, and I know I don't. YouTube is a great solution for us.

B

·
0 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
Harvey added this feature per my request, so I could post my tutorials directly in posts vs. people having to go directly to YouTube... A convenience for our members.

My preference would, of course, be to host the videos directly, but I'm pretty sure Harvey doesn't have that kind of cash to pay for the bandwidth, and I know I don't. YouTube is a great solution for us.
Photobucket hosts video.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
Photobucket hosts video.
The reason I chose YouTube was that they will convert whatever I upload to flash; most people already have that plugin already installed. I don't use photobucket, so I would have to research how that works.

B

·
0 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
The reason I chose YouTube was that they will convert whatever I upload to flash; most people already have that plugin already installed. I don't use photobucket, so I would have to research how that works.
Photobucket is where I store all my online pics and videos. It accepts AVI's, WMV's, MPEG's, etc. and converts them to a proprietary "FLV" format which can be displayed online, i believe without need of any plugin.

Here's an example:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
That's very nice. However, I think it is more convenient for our members to be able to view the tutorial in the post, not have to leave the KindleBoards site and head over to YouTube (or PhotoBucket, or Vimeo...). If you would like to research how we can embed Photobucket videos, please do and let Harvey know, I'm sure he'd like that as an option.

B

·
0 Posts
You can do exactly the same thing with Photobucket videos, imbed them so they play directly in the post.  There are many bulletin boards out there that are set up for this--instead of a YouTube "button" for tagging the video's URL, they have a Photobucket "button."  Unfortunately, I don't know enough YBB code to demonstrate. :(

B

·
0 Posts
Oh.  That's why I can't do it.  It has to be enabled on an Admin level.  I was starting to feel really stupid.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Jim - you've got me started. This should be a straightforward change to the posting template.There is a lot of security-related logic in the YouTube bbcode that I need to look more closely at and consider how to adapt for the Photobucket videos.

B

·
0 Posts
Sorry to all for my childish rant last night. I was pretty drunk at the time, and I despise YouTube and everything it stands for. Or, rather, everything it doesn't stand for. I pray every day that Viacom wins its lawsuit against YouTube and the whole thing gets shut down.

But that's no excuse for taking it out on you guys, who are just trying to make things great for all of us.

My humble apologies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts