Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to publish a Kindle book of the film and book reviews I do on my blog.  The idea is to keep updating them as I write more and roll out a new edition every month or so, giving the reader a growing resource.

I want to stick links to the appropriate Amazon page and make some affiliate cash if I've done a good enough job of selling the film or book.  Does anyone have experience of embedding affiliate links in their Kindle books?  And how well do the various Kindles handle shopping for non-Kindle stuff?

G

·
I am not a fan of putting affiliate links in ebooks.

1. You are thinking too small. The amount of money you would make on an affiliate sale is nominal compared to directing that read to YOUR SITE. Direct people to your own site and get them to sign up for your newsletter or follow your blog. Then they become YOUR customers for life instead of just Amazon customers that may or may not buy your books. If someone is not ready to buy but just interested in more information, they may be willing to like your FB page or follow you on Twitter or sign up for a newsletter to get more info from you on the book.

2. Affiliate links won't work for some customers in foreign countries. If someone in Japan buys your book off of the Japanese website and your link directs them to the American website, they may get a dead link.

3. If your book becomes unavailable for some reason on Amazon (and this happens more often than people realize due to the nature of their aggressive bots) people using that link will possibly end up with a dead link.

4. If you direct people to your own stationary site, you can control what they see. Amazon webpages can be very distracting. There are a lot of "recommendations" on them that can push a potential customer away from your product and into something else. By directing a customer to your site first, you have a better chance to "sell" them on your product so they are ready to buy and not just thinking about it. You can highlight positive reviews, offer freebies and incentives, share quotes from other authors or endorsements, etc that cement the sale. Then have the affiliate link on your stationary page so that the customer goes to Amazon ready to one-click buy.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If this is a blog that frequently updates, you might want to look into publishing a blog for Kindle instead of doing a book through KDP. It's a different process, and I'm not familiar with it, so I can't help you aside from saying that it exists.

The fewer clicks it takes to reach these products, the better. Especially for this purpose, I would not link people to your site.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I might go the Kindle blog route.  I've tried it before, but it didn't work because it was for a subject I didn't blog on often enough.

If only I can give them the right answers to the security questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts