Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently accepting new clients.

Hi there! My name is Davy Kent. I'm a Vancouver, Canada-based editor with a deep love for storytelling. The intertwining threads of narrative and character ambition are near and dear to me, especially in the fantasy and sci-fi genres. I've edited over 30 titles.

I provide copyediting and proofreading for self-publishing authors who work in fantasy, sci-fi, romance, thrillers, and self-help. While I do dabble in other genres, you're guaranteed recent familiarity and expertise with those.

I have a keen attention to detail. Coupled with a voracious appetite for reading and writing, I understand the latest conventions in publishing standards. I am well-versed in the Chicago Manual of Style; don't fret, though, as I tend to favor an author's style preference first and foremost during any edit. I'll always blend your voice with the "way it's done," giving your fans the best of both worlds.

I've been involved in writing competitions, text roleplay worldbuilding collaborations, critique groups, author-editor Q&A groups, and corporate and academic editing. Writing is something I understand well, and I adore improving prose when given the opportunity.

I consistently attend professional development commitments; be they niche webinars or industry books written by leading authorities in the editing world. For example, in June 2020 I attended a webinar run by ACES: The Society for Editing on copyediting fantasy and science fiction! I am also pursuing a professional certificate in editing from Simon Fraser University.

The above means that I'm current -- always. I'm constantly striving to figure out the latest conventions in the genres I work in, ensuring that my clients are never led astray with shoddy recommendations and outdated ideas. You never have to worry about the work I do; it will stand up to the scrutiny of your audience, with readers never impeded by incorrect grammar and style.

My Rates
For copyediting, I charge 0.0045 USD per word. (A 50,000-word manuscript would be $225 USD.)

For proofreading, I charge 0.003 USD per word. (A 50,000-word manuscript would be $150 USD.)

I charge the proofreading rate at my discretion: I tend to offer it when your work has been edited by another professional already or if your writing is particularly clean (and if my copyediting would largely amount to playing musical chairs).

I accept payment via PayPal, TransferWise, or Interac eTransfer.

How to Work with Me
Send me an email at [email protected]

Be sure to include:

* A 500- to 1500-word excerpt of your manuscript.
* The kind of editing you think you need done.
* Your genre.
* Your total word count.
* Your intended/hopeful deadline.

If I need any more information than that, I'll be sure to let you know. I offer free sample edits, so providing the above will get you a returned sample edit plus a proper quote. :)

Find Me Elsewhere
* You can see my portfolio, and some more information about my editing, on my website: https://emberediting.com/
* I maintain a FAQ, found here: https://emberediting.com/frequently-asked-questions/
* I have a Twitter where I tend to retweet jokes, freebies within my network, and beautiful nature/animal photos: https://twitter.com/DavyKent
* You also can check out my Goodreads profile to see the sorts of books I've been reading lately: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/84514681-davy-kent

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just worked together with Ember Editing and I had a very good experience. My editor was very responsive, respected the agreed deadlines, and did a terrific editing job - including spotting a typo in a diagram which for some may be a very basic thing but I have not had the experience so far for someone to be so thorough for such a bargain price. He even helped me with formatting my book and recommended me some experts who can help me make a professional bibliography.

All in all, I would recommend Ember Editing to anyone who wants his manuscript nice and ready to go. I'm about to work with this company again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for that testimonial! :) I really appreciate it.

I've completed three projects since my last post, one for proofreading and two for copyediting.

My discount structure is still in place. My schedule is mostly open for the coming weeks so you shouldn't expect any lengthy delays. Contact me ([email protected]) and we can get going quickly!

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
Greetings, EmberKent! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post.

You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here and can be rigorous.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Becca
KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've updated my opening post with dedicated links to my testimonials and my literature editing page on my website. I've also reworded a few sentences to improve clarity or provide more info.

My discounts are still live and my schedule is currently wide open! Email me ([email protected]) and we'll make your book better than it already is. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My discount structure is still available.

Most of my proofreading literary work has come in the form of self-help non-fiction this year, so fair warning that my discount may start to scale back a little in that industry after a few more books. If you've been hesitant thus far, now would be your opportunity to make sure you get the lowest price. 0.0015 a word is cheap!

Proofreading turnaround is typically between 3-7 days, depending on my workload and the project's word count.

Please be sure to tell me you're from KBoards as these discounts are specific to this community.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ember Editing did an excellent job proofreading a 22,000 word non-fiction crash course for me. Great attention to detail, easy scheduling/setup, and quick communication. If you need a great proofreader for your next project, I highly recommend his services.

Nick

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you David for such a fantastic job of editing my book, Counterpunch. I had actually rewritten it 2x and ran it through Grammarly, but there were so much that was missed by me (and Grammarly) that you caught. I appreciate the quality of the edit, the great price, quick turnaround and your professionalism.  I had written the book in Vellum, then exported in rtf. I do not have word, but the edits in Google docs were seamless. I expected to spend days editing the book from your notes, but it only took a few hours.  Will use you again.
Patrice

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ember Editing did a fantastic job proofreading my 77,500 word supernatural thriller. There was very good attention to detail and a smooth path of communication. I'll definitely use their services again in the future.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It took me a long time to find the right editor and I have struck gold with Ember Editing. I do not normally gush, but David did an amazing job. He is professional, thorough and a pleasure to work with. I cannot recommend him enough, not to mention how his rates are more than reasonable.

For clarity, he did a copy edit on my new adult contemporary romance and I have already booked him again.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in so long.

I'm back, hopefully to be a little more active here, and still accepting clients at a discounted rate. During 2019 I've copyedited 6 titles and proofread 10!

My copyediting rate is remaining at 0.003 USD a word. However, my proofreading rate has been raised from 0.0015 USD a word to 0.002 USD a word. Not a huge increase, but I'm beginning to scale back the discounts a little as I gain more and more experience. :)

Returning clients will keep the original discount rate until October 2019.

I am currently working on two novels. I have room for one more between now and July 2nd 2019, and a wide open schedule for any day after that. Reach out and let's talk business! Email me at [email protected], attach a short 500-1500-word sample of your manuscript, and we can figure out if you need a copyedit or a proofread. If we're a good fit, we can talk deadlines and deposits.

Also: Many thanks for the previous reviews! They mean a lot to me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another two books edited since my last post here!

I think it's good time for a bump. My discounts are, of course, still available, and my schedule is wide open.

Reach out to me via [email protected] with a short excerpt of your manuscript so I can provide a sample edit, and be sure to let me know where you found me and what kind of editing you're looking for!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have four slots available still for August, and three for September. I typically have capacity to work on up to six titles per month.

Proofreading at 0.002 USD a word. Copyediting at 0.003 USD a word.

Reach out to me via [email protected] with a short excerpt of your manuscript so I can provide a sample edit, and be sure to let me know where you found me and what kind of editing you're looking for!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The month is rolling over once again.

One of my clients rescheduled so I now have 4 slots available for September. I also finished my August schedule ahead of time so I have 1 slot immediately open as well!

Check out my title list here and some of my testimonials here. I offer proofreading and copyediting. Please reach out via email at [email protected] with a short 1500-word excerpt of your writing for a sample edit and quote. Let me know you're from KBoards as my rates here are lower than anywhere else!

I have the most experience with self-help and fantasy but am always interested in other genres -- such as sci-fi, romance, dystopia, and thrillers.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have two slots remaining for September.

Please reach out via email at [email protected] with a short 1500-word excerpt of your writing for a sample edit and quote. Let me know you're from KBoards as my rates here are lower than anywhere else!

Check out some of my testimonials here and my title list here.

I will be reducing my KBoards discount again sometime in October most likely, so be sure to book now if you want to lock in a lower price. You can schedule in advance, and my scheduling deposit is a low $25 USD. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi everyone!

My schedule for October is mostly clear right now; I'm working on a historical fantasy title right this very moment but then I'm free for the rest of the month. :)

I am raising both my copyediting and proofreading rates once again as I've finally eclipsed the 30-title milestone! 20 of these have been published, and more are on the way soon.

My new copyediting rate is 0.0035 USD per word, while my new proofreading rate is 0.0025 USD per word. They're both still incredibly cheap, so you're still saving a bunch of cash by hiring me as I chase the 50-title mark.

Reach out to me via email at [email protected] with a short excerpt of your book for a sample edit and quote. I've updated my first post in this thread that should hopefully better define how I can help self-publishing authors and what working with me is like.

(I also have a literary editing page on my website which includes my title list. Check it out here!)

Oh, and who can forget some more testimonials? Here's one I received from my latest completed edit on a how-to book:

"I was highly impressed by David's speed, professionalism and attention to detail. Moreover, the quality of the edit exceeded my expectations. The fact that he went beyond my remit to do extra fact-checking highlights his commitment to creating a quality product. I would very highly recommend him."

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have immediate availability starting October 15 for a couple more books. :) I most recently completed a copyedit of a fantastic historical fantasy set in 1910s Toronto, Canada, set for publishing in the next couple months!

My schedule for November and December, as of right now, is about half booked. I have one or two slots left for November and three slots left for December.

Reach out to me via email at [email protected] with a ~1000-word excerpt of your book to get the process started! If you're scheduling me in advance or if you're a first-time client, please know that I charge a $25 USD deposit. This gets taken off the final invoice, which I send after I hand you the edited manuscript. I'm very easy to work with and amenable to a back-and-forth on any changes I make.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just used Emberkent to edit my first novel, and I've already booked him to edit my second. Great experience. His notes on my manuscript were well explained. Still trying to figure out how I somehow managed to use the wrong dashes, but that's my issue. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Scott. :) I'm looking forward to starting on another book of yours next week.

Figure this thread is due for a bump. My schedule for the rest of November is packed, and I only have one slot left for December.

Now would be a great time to book me in advance for 2020. My rates are going up again at the end of 2019 -- if you schedule me in advance and pay a $25 USD deposit, the rate you pay is locked in at whatever rate I'm charging when you do so. Right now my proofreading rate is 0.0025 USD per word while my copyediting rate is 0.0035 USD per word. Book me today for a job later and be guaranteed that rate!

Email me at [email protected].com with a ~1000-word excerpt of your book. Please also include the genre, word count, and a general idea of when you'd like the edit. I'll do a free sample edit and we can go from there. Be sure to let me know if your book's already been edited by a professional so I charge the proofreading rate. :) My typical turnaround time ranges between 7 to 15 days for most projects.

(Note that I occasionally still take on projects when all slots are full -- it depends on how far ahead of schedule I am and the size of your project. It never hurts to double-check when contacting me!)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts