Kindle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have updated my portfolio and added six new titles: Text list or images

I've eclipsed the 30-title mark for the year, with most experience being in self-help and fantasy. :) Other genres I've worked on this year: sci-fi, thrillers, supernatural thrillers, romance, how-tos, and westerns.

As always: feel free to email me at [email protected] with a ~1000-word excerpt of your book. Please also include the genre, word count, and a general idea of when you'd like the edit. I'll do a free sample edit and we can go from there. My schedule for 2020 is slowly taking shape, with books already scheduled in January, March, and June.

My rates are going up at the end of December. Schedule me in advance to guarantee my current rates of 0.0025 USD/word for proofreading and 0.0035 USD/word for copyediting.

Hope everyone's ready for the holiday season. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi everyone!

By the end of December, I'll have edited 34 titles in 2019. I'm really proud of this figure, and I hope to see similar success in 2020.

My rates have gone up in anticipation of the new year.

My copyediting rate has gone up to 0.0045 USD per word. A 50,000-word manuscript would cost $225 USD.

My proofreading rate has gone up to 0.0035 USD per word. A 50,000-word manuscript would cost $175 USD.

Everything else in my opening post still stands: Deposits are $25 USD and scheduling me in advance locks in your rate even if you end up working with me after I've raised my rates again. Email me ([email protected]) for a free sample! My schedule for 2020 is shaping up so it's a great time to secure a spot on my calendar.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season.

My portfolio: Text List or Images
My testimonials: Here

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Barring me being ahead of schedule on certain projects, I do not have another slot available until January 28.

Interested in having your book copyedited or proofread during February or beyond? Do get in touch at your earliest convenience via email at [email protected] Send me a 500- to 1500-word excerpt and I'll get back to you with a sample edit. Please also include when you'd like to book the edit! If I happen to have sudden immediate availability, I'll be sure to let you know.

As mentioned before, my copyediting rate is 0.0045 USD per word while my proofreading rate is 0.0035 USD per word. Proofreading is what I charge for works that have already been professionally edited. (So if your book falls into that category, tell me! :) )

Did you know that I started blogging on my business website? I posted an article Christmas Day that may be of some interest to self-publishing authors: How Much Can You Expect an Editor to Catch?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've updated my portfolio with new titles.

Check it out in image format here or in list format here.

I've now edited 12 fantasy titles, 6 romance titles, 5 thrillers, and 12 self-help titles. There are a few other books sprinkled between those, but those are the genres I have the most experience in. :)

Please reach out via email at [email protected] for a sample edit if you're looking for copyediting or proofreading. My rates are still the same: 0.0045 USD per word for copyediting ($270 USD for a 60,000-word book) and 0.0035 USD per word for proofreading ($210 USD for a 60,000-word book).

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have immediate availability starting February 20.

I'm also running a sci-fi deal! Most of my experience in science fiction comes through critique groups, worldbuilding projects, and so on. The titles I've worked on that have sci-fi elements are more towards fantasy or thriller. I'd like to remedy this.

Do you need a copyeditor for your sci-fi novel? If so, I'm offering steep discounts for the first three sci-fi books scheduled with me. These have a word count limit of 85,000 words each -- if your manuscript is over this, I charge the overage at my normal copyediting rate (0.0045 per word).

The first book is free. The second is charged at 75% off (0.0011 per word), and the third is charged at 50% off (0.002 per word).

No testimonial is required, although one would be much appreciated if you're satisfied after I'm done.

If you're interested, please reach out for a sample edit via email! You can contact me at [email protected].

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
EmberKent said:
I have immediate availability starting February 20.

I'm also running a sci-fi deal! Most of my experience in science fiction comes through critique groups, worldbuilding projects, and so on. The titles I've worked on that have sci-fi elements are more towards fantasy or thriller. I'd like to remedy this.

Do you need a copyeditor for your sci-fi novel? If so, I'm offering steep discounts for the first three sci-fi books scheduled with me. These have a word count limit of 85,000 words each -- if your manuscript is over this, I charge the overage at my normal copyediting rate (0.0045 per word).

The first book is free. The second is charged at 75% off (0.0011 per word), and the third is charged at 50% off (0.002 per word).

No testimonial is required, although one would be much appreciated if you're satisfied after I'm done.

If you're interested, please reach out for a sample edit via email! You can contact me at [email protected].
The sci-fi deal is still available and will be available until the end of March.

I also have immediate availability in my schedule. Please reach out if you are interested in having your book copyedited.

Check out my website for testimonials and my portfolio: https://emberediting.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy, Marcus Sloss here. I'm pilot. I fly. Now I am a writer! Wahoo. Go me. I can say I am an author now too. I write word soup. As a pantser, my work tends to dribble into hard to follow nonsense. Good thing for people like. Mr. Kent. His name will be on my book as an editor on amazon. I am proud of the work he has done in polishing my novel and will be recommending him to my other author buddies. If you were on the fence, get off it. My only downside is he is a Canuck. Nothing personal, I lived in Canada once. Just be prepared to pay a fee to send him money. Not his fault.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thank you for the testimonial, Marcus!

Yes, as mentioned, I'm Canadian, so PayPal will likely make you pay a fee when sending me money. However, it gives you the choice of having that fee taken out of your payment, which is completely fair and something you can do.

In the meantime, I've been having some issues with my work computer, but I'm back in business. My sci-fi deal is no longer available; however, I am running a discount from now until May 1st for all genres.

Between now and then, any project you book with me is 25% off. This applies for both copyediting and proofreading, and it applies on projects you book now but for later in the year. As mentioned in this thread and on my website, I require a $25 USD deposit for scheduling me in advance and for first-time clients. The rest is charged after I deliver the edited manuscript.

I'll be editing my website in the coming weeks to update my portfolio. I'll be adding a couple more self-help titles, a new fantasy title, and a sci-fi title!

Please feel free to reach out via email at [email protected] for a free sample edit. You can also check out my portfolio here and my testimonials here.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My health's taken a sudden turn for the worse so I'm closing up shop to new clients for the foreseeable future. Returning clients are welcome to reach out, but fair warning that turnaround times will be shaky at best. If you don't mind "slow and steady wins the race," well, I'm still around for now.

I'll be sure to update the thread if this situation changes. Thank you to the KBoards community for all the discussions and the work sent my way. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm tentatively looking to reopen my editing business this month and am testing the waters by running a small sale.

I've updated my opening post, so be sure to give that a look if you're a returning reader.

If you'd like to get some editing work done during July, please reach out to me via email at [email protected] with the following:

* A 500- to 1500-word excerpt of your manuscript.
* The kind of editing you think you need done.
* Your genre.
* Your total word count.
* Your intended/hopeful deadline.

I offer free sample edits.

The first two clients I book will receive a 50% discount. At my base copyediting rate of 0.0045 USD per word, you'll actually be paying 0.0023 USD per word. (50,000 words = $115 USD)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have one slot remaining for the 50% discount.

Since it came up with the first client I snagged: The discount applies to every book you schedule with me during the discount negotiation. The only stickler is that I charge a $25 USD deposit per book for scheduling. However, this guarantees a 15-day slot of my time and the quote you were given.

So if you have a solid publishing schedule in place, this could be a fantastic opportunity to get several books copyedited at a very low rate.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
All discounted slots have been scheduled. But my base rates are still low enough for a budget-sensitive author: 0.0045 USD per word for copyediting, 0.003 USD per word for proofreading.

My schedule for August is full for novel-length projects, but if you have a shorter book or novella, I might be able to fit one or two of those in.

So, if you'd like to work with me, I have...

* 1 slot available immediately
* 1 or 2 slots for projects <35,000 words in August
* Flexible availability for all projects September onward

---​

Here are the books I've read in the past three weeks:

* Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
* Your Life as Story: Writing Memoir by Tristine Rainier
* The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
* The Deep by Rivers Solomon
* Bayou Magic by Jewell Parker Rhodes
* Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie

---​

Send me an email at [email protected] to explore having your book edited.

Be sure to include:

* A 500- to 1500-word excerpt of your manuscript
* The kind of editing you think you need done
* Your genre
* Your total word count
* Your intended/hopeful deadline

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am currently booking for September 20 and onward for copyediting and proofreading projects. :)

August was a month with lots of sci-fi! I'd love to take on more of that, but I'm of course still open to fantasy, romance, thriller, and self-help titles.

I also edited women's fiction for the first time and really enjoyed it -- I wouldn't mind getting another crack at one of those too.

Rates: $0.0045 USD per word for copyediting. $0.003 USD per word for proofreading.

Contact email: [email protected].

15 Posts
I recommend EmberKent's copyediting. I asked for a light copyedit and that is exactly what I got. All the changes he made were correct. (I checked.) This is very important since many people hanging out shingles as editors create new errors.

Also, he did not overreach and tinker with my prose just because he did not like a particular turn of phrase, another thing many so-called copyeditors and even proofreaders feel they have a right to do. (They don't, unless you ask them to.)

A positive experience for me, after too many "eh" experiences to mention.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Let's run a short discount, shall we?

Anyone who books with me between now and Boxing Day for copyediting will only pay 0.004 USD per word instead of 0.0045 USD per word. I have immediate availability over the holidays due to the lockdown in my area, and this discount still applies even if you book me for later in 2021.

Feel free to reach out to me via email ([email protected]) with a small excerpt of your manuscript for a sample edit and quote. I have a friendly deposit structure ($25 USD for first-time clients and scheduling in advance) and reasonable turnaround times (2-3 weeks). I have a strong preference toward taking on sci-fi or fantasy novels, but I do have experience in romance, thrillers, and self-help.

My website: https://emberediting.com/editing/
My testimonials: https://emberediting.com/testimonials/
My portfolio: https://emberediting.com/portfolio/ (a little out of date, but still a good spread!)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
EmberKent said:
Let's run a short discount, shall we?

Anyone who books with me between now and Boxing Day for copyediting will only pay 0.004 USD per word instead of 0.0045 USD per word. I have immediate availability over the holidays due to the lockdown in my area, and this discount still applies even if you book me for later in 2021.

Feel free to reach out to me via email ([email protected]) with a small excerpt of your manuscript for a sample edit and quote. I have a friendly deposit structure ($25 USD for first-time clients and scheduling in advance) and reasonable turnaround times (2-3 weeks). I have a strong preference toward taking on sci-fi or fantasy novels, but I do have experience in romance, thrillers, and self-help.

My website: https://emberediting.com/editing/
My testimonials: https://emberediting.com/testimonials/
My portfolio: https://emberediting.com/portfolio/ (a little out of date, but still a good spread!)
Still three days available for this deal! Make sure you mention it in your email, too. :)

21 - 40 of 50 Posts