Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has prevented me from getting my Oberon cover Yesterday!  You guys up north will laugh, but it snowed here in Louisiana yesterday so UPS pushed back my delivery date to today. 
Hopefully a leaf on the road won't postpone it for another day.
I have a flight to catch at 7pm tonight, and sometimes UPS doesn't deliver at my  house until 6 or 7. :(  I hate to think my new cover will sit outside on my front porch all weekend.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Annie--

Here's hoping you'll get it in time!!  Is there a neighbor who can take it in for you?

The pictures of snow in Jackson Square in New Orleans on the news last night were quite dramatic and beautiful, but they also showed some of the traffic problems.

Hope your Oberon cover arrives and that you have a good flight!  Keep us posted!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Yes, it's that time of year when the delivery guys push through, no matter what.

College students coming home from college are another story, though. My son just delayed his trip til tomorrow. Snowing in Oneonta and they already have an inch on the ground.

L

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
You guys in the north don't understand what it's like when it snows and ices down here in the south.  We freak 'cause we're not used to it.  :D  I'm sure the southern UPS guys aren't "wimps" per se, but things tend to shut down here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area the few times we get icy/snowy weather each winter, I can just imagine what it would be like in New Orleans because I'm guessing that weather is even rarer down there!  :eek:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Leslie said:
Yes, it's that time of year when the delivery guys push through, no matter what.

College students coming home from college are another story, though. My son just delayed his trip til tomorrow. Snowing in Oneonta and they already have an inch on the ground.

L
I'm an hour southwest from Oneonta and I can tell you that the weather in this area is bad! We lost power at 3:30 this am, most of the schools are closed (although not ours.....grrrrrrrrrrr) and we are not doing any extraneous driving. BTW, is your son at SUCO or Hartwick?
Ruby

·
Registered
366 Posts
I lived in Southern Mississippi for a while and it was absolutely funny when it snowed one day.  everybody was freaking out.  Kids built snowmen in the middle of the road to watch drivers freak.  I walked to the hospital to visit my son and I went by this doctor and heard him telling someone on the phone "it amazing we've already got like six inches."  Needless to say they ere nowhere near that amount of snow.  You could still see the tops of the grass on all the yards.  It was hysterical.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about 1/2 hour north or New Orleans.  We got a little snow in '04, but the last time it accumulated like it did yesterday was in '63.  I measured it and we had 3''.  I'm originally from Canada, so snow isn't anything new for me, but everyone was in such a good mood yesterday, happy, laughing, making snowmen and having snowball fights.  It was actually really great, even if I didnt' get my Oberon cover.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
The problem with snow in the south is that they do not have the provisions to care for the roads the same way they do in the north.  There is no reason to own multiple salt and cinder trucks, snow plows, etc.  So therefore, you kind of have to wait for the sun to do the major amount of work.  At least that was my experience when I lived down south. 

·
Registered
795 Posts
Leslie said:

Leslie, I'm a little north of Oneonta and we have more than a foot! And about twenty minutes north of me there is almost three feet of snow. East of us (toward Albany) they have two inches of solid ice (forget the snow plows, they are firing up the zambonis). So whichever direction your son drives in to get up to Maine tell him to be really, really careful.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's all relative. When I lived in PA, 12" never stopped us. When I lived in NC, everything shut down in the city when we got 4"! So true-- the city just didn't have the equipment needed to get it clear, and people were not accustomed to winter driving conditions.

Snow in NOLA. Wow.

I

·
0 Posts
This thread reminds of this song.  One of my favorites

Let It Snow : Lyrics

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of Pauseping,
And I've bought some corn for popping,
The lights are turned way down low,

When we finally kiss goodnight,
How I'll hate going out in the storm!
But if you'll really hold me tight,
All the way home I'll be warm.

The fire is slowly dying,
And, my dear, we're still good-bying,
But as long as you love me so,

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Steph H said:
You guys in the north don't understand what it's like when it snows and ices down here in the south. We freak 'cause we're not used to it. :D I'm sure the southern UPS guys aren't "wimps" per se, but things tend to shut down here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area the few times we get icy/snowy weather each winter, I can just imagine what it would be like in New Orleans because I'm guessing that weather is even rarer down there! :eek:
I understand! I was stationed at Ft Hood, TX when it snowed several years ago. It was kind of funny to be driving around everywhere and seeing the roads absolutely deserted. They sent me out to check road conditions to see if we could still go out to the field. :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hope your cover comes before you leave!

As for the snow in areas not used to it - my sis (lives near Richmond) always gets a kick out of how peoplereact when they get snow -

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Ruby said:
I'm an hour southwest from Oneonta and I can tell you that the weather in this area is bad! We lost power at 3:30 this am, most of the schools are closed (although not ours.....grrrrrrrrrrr) and we are not doing any extraneous driving. BTW, is your son at SUCO or Hartwick?
Ruby
He's at Hartwick, majoring in nursing.

Now he is texting me that he is going to leave today. He has his last exam scheduled from 12 noon to 3 pm and wants to leave after that. I think he just wants to get home to mom's good cooking.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Leslie, I'm a little north of Oneonta and we have more than a foot! And about twenty minutes north of me there is almost three feet of snow. East of us (toward Albany) they have two inches of solid ice (forget the snow plows, they are firing up the zambonis). So whichever direction your son drives in to get up to Maine tell him to be really, really careful.
He usually sticks to the interstates: 88 to 90, 495 to 95 and home. He said that the Mass Pike is clear from what he read online. He's taking an exam now and plans to leave after that (3 pm) but I am sure he'll check the weather one more time before he makes his final decision.

He is in that "I just want to get home, I'm sick of school" mood. I remember it well.

L

·
Registered
795 Posts
Leslie said:
He usually sticks to the interstates: 88 to 90, 495 to 95 and home. He said that the Mass Pike is clear from what he read online. He's taking an exam now and plans to leave after that (3 pm) but I am sure he'll check the weather one more time before he makes his final decision.
Have him check the DOT webpage: http://www.nysthruway.gov/wtas/netdata/

They update it every few minutes and the map shows which parts of the thruway are icy and/or snowy, and if any segment of it is temporarily closed due to weather.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Steph H said:
You guys in the north don't understand what it's like when it snows and ices down here in the south. We freak 'cause we're not used to it. :D I'm sure the southern UPS guys aren't "wimps" per se, but things tend to shut down here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area the few times we get icy/snowy weather each winter, I can just imagine what it would be like in New Orleans because I'm guessing that weather is even rarer down there! :eek:
A few years ago, I was scheduled to present a day long workshop in Lubbock, TX. The weather was bad and flights were cancelled but I managed to get to Dallas. Since this workshop had been planned more than a year in advance, I felt this obligation to get there. So I went to Hertz and rented a car and headed out.

Let me tell you, people in Dallas/Ft. Worth don't know how to drive in what we northeasterners affectionately call a "wintry mix."

I pressed on, watching people drive off the road to my left and right. Sixty miles outside of Dallas it was like driving through a curtain. Suddenly, the precip stopped, the road was clear and it was smooth sailing. Fortunately, you can drive really fast in Texas. I made it to Lubbock in a bit under six hours.

The people at the conference were amazed. They assumed I'd just get back on the plane and go home! LOL.

When I got home and looked at the map, I realized I had driven the equivalent of going from Portland, ME to New York City.

Five months later I was in Lubbock, again, and that time I got stranded by a tornado watch. The weather in Texas ain't so great. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Wisteria Clematis said:
Have him check the DOT webpage: http://www.nysthruway.gov/wtas/netdata/

They update it every few minutes and the map shows which parts of the thruway are icy and/or snowy, and if any segment of it is temporarily closed due to weather.
This is great, thank you. I'll pass it along (although the way he was talking, I think he might have found this already, and the equivalent site for the Mass Pike).

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Since this thread seems to have drifted away from a discussion of accessories, I am going to move it to the Not Quite Kindle board.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I love the philosophy of drivers on icy/snowy roads, north or south, who "hurry" to get off the roads.  Do they not listen to AAA about taking their time.  Drives me crazy to watch drivers spin into the median on the interstate when just driving lower than the allowable speed limit would get them there safely.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts