Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think believable, relatable characters--whether you love them or hate them--is all important.

We've all heard that old saying that there are no new stories; every conceivable story has been told a jillion times already.
So what makes a story feel new? Fresh, unique characters.

Shana

·
Registered
527 Posts
Plotspider said:
This was off the top of my head, but it makes a point. I didn't describe every little dust mite in the corners. I didn't say how much money was in a pouch somewhere. I didn't say exactly how old the man was, nor why he was sitting alone, nor who he was really. I didn't say what he was wearing, either. We know he's old, bearded, etc. I'd be willing to bet that everyone reading that part filled in some gaps in the narrative of their own. They likely established that it was a particular time of day (probably night), and etc.

What's more, hopefully, I made a cozy, comfortable feeling. I hope I've made people curious. The idea is to make people want to ask questions about the situation. I'm no master at it of course, but I think that's what we're striving for, yes?
Worked for me! ;D

Shana

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.