Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very inspirational evening! I was invited to attend the debut launch of Sharon Lechter's new book, Outwitting the Devil (published by Sterling), which was being held for a select group of women in the Phoenix area. For those of you who do not know who Sharon Lechter is, she is the co-author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad, which I'm sure almost everyone has heard of, as well as Three Feet from Gold and many others. Her latest book was actually written by Napoleon Hill in 1938 and the manuscript was hidden until the Napoleon Hill foundation contacted Sharon to make it into a book for today's audience. Not only was her speech incredibly inspirational and motivating, the message being that the only thing standing between you and your dreams is your own fears, but the reaction I had from so many of the influential attendees when I was introduced to them was overwhelmingly positive.

It was this reaction that I wanted to speak to. My mother-in-law, who is a close friend of Sharon's, and Sharon herself, took the opportunity to introduce me to anyone who would stand still as a new, self-published author. At first I cringed, thinking that everyone would immediately dismiss me as being a hack. But this wasn't the case at all! Every single person asked intelligent questions and were incredibly supportive. In fact, the executive vice president of the bank that was sponsoring the event has now asked me to sit on a panel to discuss self-publishing for a women's author series they hold!

Times are changing quickly and it was so exciting to discover that the stigma of self publishing is finally falling away. I just wanted to share with you all that we can do this. The main message I took away from the evening was that you have to set your sights on a goal and not look away until you've accomplished it. Not only that, but we need to surround ourselves with a strong support group who will be our cheerleaders and keep us on track. KB is definitely that, IMO. So, keep your chin up and go for it!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really was, Mel! And I was so honored just to be included that to have such a warm, welcoming response was a big bonus!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Times are changing quickly. 

Good for you, WriterGurl. It sounds like a great experience.

So far, I'm loving the whole indie experience as a reader (and perhaps one day as a writer). So I'll be an enthousiastic cheerleader here at KB.

We have the I, the N, D, I, E; INDIE!  ;D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Heidi.  It is such a relief to see that self-published authors are starting to be taken seriously.  I think the fact that indies are earning money now, and some even making a decent living, has a lot to do with it.  We're doing it all on our own and breaking new ground, and some people seem to be impressed by that.  It is encouraging to see the reaction that you got!  Good news for us all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is encouraging. I think all those success stories are actually filtering through, and many people are more blown away by how awesome it is that you (as in all of us) write books, rather than how it got to sale.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Interestingly, self-publishing has come up a lot in my online writers' group, and for the first time it seemed like some of the other authors felt a need to justify their choice to go with the traditional agent/publisher system.  As if they felt self-conscious about sticking to the old-fashioned methods.

Kind of a new experience for me.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a fantastic evening. Love your comment about your mom introducing you to everyone who woud stand still long enough. lol. Moms are the same everywhere.  ;D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thank you for sharing Writergurl. When I first decided to try and write a book, I kept it to myself. Just plugged away every day, whatever came into my head. I had an idea of outline and plot structure (which completely changed day by day) - it is a comedic novel. One day I was asked what I do all day sitting at home. I casually mentioned, I am trying to write a book. The next question was: when are you going to get it published?

When I finally finished, I was proud of my accomplishment. Then discovered the laborious task of writing a query and then shock horror,  :eek: the dreaded synopsis. Through some very kind people on different forums, I got encouragement and help. The next step I discovered was I had to research the right agent who'd accept my genre. I started querying - got rejections, researched more agents, queried - got rejections - after eight months of this, I considered I was wasting my time when I had another book in my head to get out which I had to do a lot of research before I could start writing. I came to the conclusion: (I am probably going to shoot myself in the foot now) - readers do not have a choice to read what they want to, but what an agent/publisher dictates. If it wasn't for the likes of Amazon and Kindle etc., how many writers who were initially rejected and decided to self publish have found success because readers can choose what they want to read.  I honestly think the stigma  if you've self published, your writing sucks, are over.    

·
Registered
178 Posts
Excellent. I find Napoleon Hill to be inspirational. Think he'd be all for Amazon now. It's a new world, welcome to it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish you all could have been there!

BJM, I agree that Napoleon Hill would have been very interested in Amazon and what we are doing by self-publishing with them.

Nancy-I saw a bit of that too (trad pub justification), but it was more people wondering what they can really offer anymore. Sharon is doing her own marketing and there is not a Kindle version of her new book yet (a big disappointment to those in the room who have mostly converted to ereaders). One of the funniest conversations I had was with a woman who was floored that she could get a DTB copy of my book. When I explained the POD concept, she thought that was the coolest thing ever. Now, if only we could get them into stores without a huge layout of cash, it would be nearly impossible to distinguish trad/self ;D.

·
Registered
178 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
I wish you all could have been there!

BJM, I agree that Napoleon Hill would have been very interested in Amazon and what we are doing by self-publishing with them.
It's the exact principles of THINK AND GROW RICH. I call it THINK AND BECOME A NOVLEIST. It was just an idea. A boring afternoon at work. Nothing to do. And suddenly there it was: an idea. I grabbed it. Soon, after some time, the idea manifested itself as REALITY. I was a published novelist.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It's posts like this that make KB such a supportive and inspiring place for writers. Thank you for sharing this and I'm so glad you had such a rewarding evening!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bjm said:
It's the exact principles of THINK AND GROW RICH. I call it THINK AND BECOME A NOVLEIST. It was just an idea. A boring afternoon at work. Nothing to do. And suddenly there it was: an idea. I grabbed it. Soon, after some time, the idea manifested itself as REALITY. I was a published novelist.
Good for you! Congrats on following your dream to fruition!

It's funny how once you open yourself up to something, things finally begin falling into place. I have been blessed with a wonderful support system and tonight that group grew once again. I had dinner with my best friend and her family tonight after going to her father-in-law's book signing (I know, two in one week!). Her FIL is Michael Wallace (not the MW here on KB). He has written seventeen books (selling over a million copies), is the foremost authority on route 66, an advisor to Pixar for Cars & Cars II, as well as being the voice of the sheriff in the movies(he has a great voice BTW). He was incredibly enthusiastic about my self-publishing endeavors, his only advice: Always keep writing. I think I'll take that advice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts