Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am concerned....  I have been reading in different threads on the KindleBoards and Amazon's site that there is an upper limit to the number of devices that a book can be used on.  Basically the book can be downloaded to 6 different Kindles but when Kindle 7 comes along the book can't be downloaded even if the other 6 Kindles have been deregistered.  So...  I buy a Kindle 1....  I spend $359 to upgrade to Amazon's New Kindle 2 and sell my Kindle 1 but that costs me 2 licenses.  Then I add my iPhone...  Now I am up to 3....  Then I upgrade to the new iPhone 4G or whatever and now I am up to 4.  Then I buy KINDLE 3 with the NEW COLOR SCREEN!!!!!!  And sell my Kindle 2 and now I have used up 5....  You get the picture...

I always assumed it was like iTunes...  You can only have so many devices registered at once but can change them out anytime.  They even have the ability to reset the whole thing and start all over again but you are restricted to doing that once a year...

Does anyone have a really clear understanding of this that can share.....

Thanks in advance...

Chris

P.S. Sorry for the blank post.  I had to reply to myself because I got a 404 error on the website right when I pressed post and only the topic got posted....

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
While it's an issue right now, you've already outlined why the policy is certain to change in the future.  It's obviously not in Amazon's best interest to keep to a six device, never changing limit.

I wouldn't let this be the reason you don't buy.

G

·
VictoriaP said:
While it's an issue right now, you've already outlined why the policy is certain to change in the future. It's obviously not in Amazon's best interest to keep to a six device, never changing limit.

I wouldn't let this be the reason you don't buy.
1) if you are going to animate your avatar, why doesn't the cat slowly fade out... smile last?

2) If you're actually looking for screensavers, I have several threadsful in the Photo Gallery. ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Chris- I think someone had mentioned they called CS and removed a Kindle they had sold so a space was freed up- sorry I don't remember where- might have been luvmy4brats though.

Lynn L

·
Registered
599 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
1) if you are going to animate your avatar, why doesn't the cat slowly fade out... smile last?
That avatar is on KB's list of what you can choose from if you decide not to upload your own.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
If you own a Kindle, why on Earth would you put books on your phone or MP3 player? That would be silly.
I like having my Kindle books on my iPhone as there have been occasions when I was without my Kindle and ended up with down time I could have been reading. Now, I can continue my book on my phone until I get back to my Kindle. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
If you own a Kindle, why on Earth would you put books on your phone or MP3 player? That would be silly.
Places I would have my phone but not usually the Kindle, for various reasons (note, I don't nor never want to have an iPhone but I can relate)
  • Standing in line at Costco on any weekend afternoon I'm unfortunate enough to be shopping there (good 15-20 minutes in line, that place is packed on the weekends)
  • Waiting in line just about anywhere
  • Going to pick up my car and they're running late
  • Shopping with my wife anywhere "interesting" to her (note clothes shopping, that rates the kindle + headphones + snack)
  • Fast-food drive-through

Face it, you'll have your phone everywhere you go, almost, but not always have the kindle. It's a complimentary convenience to enhance the value of your ePub books, not a replacement reader nor used for long-term reading (anything over 15 minutes and my eyes would fall out)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Chris,

I had to call customer service over this exact same issue. when I downloaded the App to my ipod touch, I was missing about 60 or so books. Customer Service did some investigating and discovered it was because I had exceeded my licenses on these books. I had a K1 and when the screen died, I was sent a replacement.A few months later, I had to get another replacemnet because of issues with one of my page turn buttons. I also have my mother and daughter on my account. In all my testing/playing/reading, I had downloaded all of those books to 6 different Kindles.

Anyway, the solution is that I'm going to call Customer Service back with a list of the books I need "fixed" then they will go in and remove the licenses to the Kindles that I no longer have (3 different K1's). Apparently, it's not an automatic process and must be done manually, book by book..at least that's what I understood by talking to them. Hopefully, as more people reach that limit and they have to do this more often, they'll do something like itunes and Audible and let you activate/deactivate them yourself. I'm thinking it's just a matter of time.

Once I actually do make the list and call them, I'll let you know how it goes. Unfortunately, I don't know when it will be. I have over 200 books on my Amazon account to go through and see which ones I have and which ones are missing. It's on my to-do list, but not a high priority.

G

·
V said:
Face it, you'll have your phone everywhere you go, almost, but not always have the kindle.
I do not and likely will never own a cell phone of any type. Therefore, I would not always have a phone with me. If you are not a doctor or traveling/route salesman, carrying a cell phone makes you one of those people who are destroying America. But I take my Kindle any/everywhere I am going without LR. When we're together, I find talking to her better than reading.

*shrug*

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I do not and likely will never own a cell phone of any type.
That was pretty much my stance also, until I started going on solo hikes in the greenbelt parks around Austin. Some of them you can get lost in, and I've already had a fall that broke a camera and bent my glasses. I'm in my mid-60s and a cell phone makes me feel a bit better about being out there when I can't get someone to go with me.

Mike

G

·
jmiked said:
That was pretty much my stance also, until I started going on solo hikes in the greenbelt parks around Austin. Some of them you can get lost in, and I've already had a fall that broke a camera and bent my glasses. I'm in my mid-60s and a cell phone makes me feel a bit better about being out there when I can't get someone to go with me.

Mike
I suppose that makes a certain amount of sense. Can I add "crazy old too-spry-for-his-own-good hermit" to the list of people who aren't destroying America with their cell phones? ;)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Jim, I'm sorry you feel that people who own cell phones are destroying America. I personally can't go anywhere without mine, nor do I let my older two daughters go anywhere without theirs. My husband and I are able to communicate with each other much more often throughout the day and during our very long commutes, various parental duties, errands etc. We probably text message much more than we actually talk on the phone though. Every morning, as soon as he gets to work, he sends me a text just to let me know he got there ok. When I don't get one, I worry. When I'm at work in the evenings, and unable to talk on the phone, my kids send me text messages telling me good night and that they love me...

We don't have a land-line based phone anymore. I canceled it because we never used it..

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
To the original poster....

I have 5 kindles on my account and now 2 iphones, so that is 7 devices. The iphones are listed in a separate box from the kindles. I had heard that there was no limit to devices but there was a limit on the number of times you can download books (6) but had never been able to test it. Now it seems that I have, although I am still curious if I could put more than 6 kindles on the account -- do they have separate categories for different devices and limit you to the number on a certain type? I don't know the exact answer to that.

As for reading books, all of the Kindle owners on my account have some overlap in reading taste, but not so much that we've hit the magic number of 6 on any one book. So, that hasn't become and issue for us, yet.

L

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is all pretty inconsequential compared to life's bigger issues isn't it?  Nobody cares that the polar bears are homeless, whales are dying in the streets, and poaching pots can't be found anywhere.  Perspective people!

re: the cell phone debate--I only carry one as a pretext to be on a call when approaced by drunk polar bears panhandling for fish. Also, why should prank calls be limited to the home? ...it's much more fun to be in the bushes where you can better gauge the effect.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Encender Vaquero said:
re: the cell phone debate--I only carry one as a pretext to be on a call when approaced by drunk polar bears panhandling for fish. Also, why should prank calls be limited to the home? ...it's much more fun to be in the bushes where you can better gauge the effect.
Is your refrigerator running? Well then, you better go catch it!

;)

L

1 - 20 of 82 Posts