Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I start reading more library books, I find my library being slower to have Kindle format ebooks so I've been thinking about getting another device.  I'm thinking probably Kobo as Nook seems to be falling way behind.  Anybody have an opinion?  Thanks.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Overdrive for iPad but don't use it much so I'm not real knowledgeable about this stuff.  Does going through Overdrive mean you can borrow books directly from the Kobo?  I have no problem using PC and USB, just wondering.  Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My sons have NOOK tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, currently with a $50 rebate) and they love 'em. They {ahem} don't use them for reading books much, but the tablets work fine for reading an ePUB, and not just books bought through B&N. I can email them a draft I'm working on and it's apparently smoothly added to their library when they open the attachment.

And Snapchat works... ::)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Go with the Kobo for a dedicated ePub-file reader.

It uses the same eInk screen as the Amazon Kindle Page White, so the quality of the text is excellent. You can turn off the backlight completely when not needed. Also, I find the library interface on the Kobo to be better than the Amazon or Nook.

When I go camping or day riding, it is the Kobo I take with me for reading when I'm relaxing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Vicki G. said:
Does going through Overdrive mean you can borrow books directly from the Kobo? I have no problem using PC and USB, just wondering. Thanks again.
I am not sure, as I don't like turning on wifi on my Kobo. If I recall, only the Sony T series could borrow directly from the device. That may have changed.

Yes tablets can do it and are multi purpose devices....I really prefer my single purpose e-ink devices. I love the size of my Kobo Aura. If the Kobo Mini was lighted, it would be even better. If Amazon would make a Aura or Mini sized eink reader, I would have one. Even the Voyage is too large, compared to them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WDR said:
Also, I find the library interface on the Kobo to be better than the Amazon or Nook.
How so, WDR? Sorry, I'm being really dense but my brain is of the hands-on variety and I can't hands on. lol

booklover888 said:
Yes tablets can do it and are multi purpose devices....I really prefer my single purpose e-ink devices. I love the size of my Kobo Aura. If the Kobo Mini was lighted, it would be even better. If Amazon would make a Aura or Mini sized eink reader, I would have one. Even the Voyage is too large, compared to them.
It's really smaller than the Voyage? I've been researching on the Kobo website and saw the mini but I see it is no longer available. Plus my old eyes are becoming very dependent on the light.

For those who suggested a tablet, I have an iPad Mini. I love it, don't get me wrong. But I don't love it to read on. It's too heavy. And then there's the glare. This is all so subjective to the way we hold our device. If sitting up reading then of course, it's fine... great! If laying down in bed, it gets a bit more complicated, for me anyway with the glasses and getting the angle right. If you've been there, you understand... if not, I don't think it's possible.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Vicki G. said:
How so, WDR? Sorry, I'm being really dense but my brain is of the hands-on variety and I can't hands on. lol
First, I really like the home screen on the Kobo. It shows what I am currently reading in the largest box. Next to it, it shows the last four books I have recently perused or are unfinished. A quick show of how many books have been added recently to my library, and then a small summary of how much reading I've done recently. (That reading summary is a actually a marketing tool to gamify reading. The idea to get readers to see their reading as a score and compete, thereby needing to buy more books.)

Both the Nook and the Kindle show books that are NOT in my ereading device and purposefully make it look like they are part of my library list. The idea is to increase the likelihood that a user will accidentally click on an unpurchased book and buy it. Currently, my Nook is the biggest offender in that books I already own are in a tiny list in the upper-right corner and unpurchased books have twice the landscape. The Kindle does offer a subtle border between owned books and advertisements, but it is still kept subtle as to make it look like one of those books is already in my library in the hope I will accidentally click on one:

In the actual library list, the Kobo maximizes the number of book covers visible, requiring fewer page strokes to go through my library. The Nook does edge out the other two by listing the titles along with the covers, but it is possible I missed a setting in my Kobo that would do the same thing. The Kindle shows three books and then shows advertisements. I paid for my Kindle, I shouldn't be seeing advertisements. Note, at the bottom of the page is very purposefully placed advertisement bar. In order to go through the library, one must stroke from the bottom of the page to the top, meaning the advertisement has a very high likelihood of being activated and transporting the reader to the Amazon Store instead of the next page of books in the library. I find this incredibly irritating.

When putting the ebook reader to sleep, the Nook wins hands down. The screen image becomes an image of my choosing. I can load a variety of images into my Nook so it will display each one on a rotating basis each time the unit is put to sleep. The Kobo displays the cover or title page of the book which I am furthest along reading but not yet finished with. Not too bad, but I would prefer to have a nice decorative image like I have with my Nook. The Kindle comes in absolute dead last: it shows an advertisement for somebody else's products. This angers me to no end. I paid for my Kindle, I paid for my books contained within it. Why am I being fed paid advertisements? It makes me feel like I don't actually own my Kindle.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow WDR!  What a lovely response.  The Kobo and Nook I can't tell you but with the Kindle, which is the only ereader I've ever owned, to date that is, as I ordered a Kobo Aura just this morning.  The ads you see on your Kindle are referred to as Special Offers.  You bought the Kindle at a reduced price.  At any time you can go to Manage My Kindle and buy out of that option.  Then the ad screen savers will go away, they will become pictures typically dealing with letters, typesetting, typewriter keys, etc.  The buy out is $20, I think.  Also, when you do that and open the cover of your Kindle, it automatically goes to the place you were at when you closed it last.  Some people like the ads, others don't.  Also there are a bazillion ways to see things on your Kindle PW.  Settings is the place to be.

I think we are using the word "library" differently.  I'm talking about borrowing books from the public library, I'm thinking you are talking about the contents of your ereader.  As I buy my books from Amazon, they are all Mobi format.  I want an ePub format ereader as ALL the books from the public library are in ePub format.  Not all are in Kindle format. 

Thank you so much for your reply.  That took a LONG time to do and I really appreciate it. 

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Vicki G. said:
…At any time you can go to Manage My Kindle and buy out of that option. Then the ad screen savers will go away, they will become pictures typically dealing with letters, typesetting, typewriter keys, etc. The buy out is $20, I think.…
I paid the full value for my Kindle. It still shows ads. Hence, my upset with the Kindle. Happily, it doesn't show ads while I'm reading. If it did that, its usefulness would be ended with a spectacular high-energy event.

There are positive things about the Kindle i can say. The chassis design is outstanding. The lightness and rounded edges of the bezel are very comfortable to hold in the hand. It is well-enough designed, I wouldn't be surprised if I found out Apple had a hand assisting in that design. The backlight at its dimmest setting is just about right for reading in the darkest hours of the night between first and second sleep and not disturbing my night vision. The e-ink Pearl display (same on the Kobo) produces excellent text quality. (I have a first-generation PageWhite. I'm pretty sure they upped the display resolution on the newer models.)

I do not purchase books through my reading devices (well, iPhone and iPad excepted), I prefer to go to the website to peruse and purchase new books. Amazon does a pretty good job at ensuring when I turn on my Kindle's WiFi, all the newest books will load onto my Kindle, ready to read. That is a very important point for any ebook reader!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Great write-up WDR.  Very helpful comparison of some of the features.  We've talked about getting a tablet a few times here recently and every time the Kindle Fire comes up as a possible, we're leery about the "push" for products and lean towards an android device. 

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
For the record, I don't count tablet computers as ebook reading devices because tablets do SO much more than just read ebooks. Also, because they are so expensive, to buy one only to read books is a waste of money in my opinion.

However, if you were going to be doing a lot of other things beyond reading with your tablet, then I say go for it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Vicki G. said:
It's really smaller than the Voyage? I've been researching on the Kobo website and saw the mini but I see it is no longer available. Plus my old eyes are becoming very dependent on the light.
Well since I broke down and ordered a Voyage, I'll let you know tomorrow. It's taller than the Aura, but since it's very thin, that may make it acceptable! In contrast, my Glo is quite a bit thicker than my Aura, and that is one reason I grab my Aura more often.

·
Registered
406 Posts
WDR said:
First, I really like the home screen on the Kobo. It shows what I am currently reading in the largest box. Next to it, it shows the last four books I have recently perused or are unfinished. A quick show of how many books have been added recently to my library, and then a small summary of how much reading I've done recently. (That reading summary is a actually a marketing tool to gamify reading. The idea to get readers to see their reading as a score and compete, thereby needing to buy more books.)

Both the Nook and the Kindle show books that are NOT in my ereading device and purposefully make it look like they are part of my library list.
Kobo definitely has the best home screen of them all!!!

But you can VERY easily get rid of the suggested books on the Kindle home page! Go into settings and removed suggestions or something.....I don't have a kindle in front of me so I can't give you all the steps. Then, all you will be left with is the bottom ad, which you can pay $20 if they bother you that much! Paying the $20 will also get rid of the ads on the sleep screen!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I think the OP decided and bought the Aura?  If not or if someone is looking I might have a coupon code for 10 percent off.  I'm a kobo associate and I posted some coupon codes a while back. Some of them may still be working.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
WDR said:
Also, because they are so expensive, to buy [a tablet] only to read books is a waste of money in my opinion.
Price today of a Kindle Voyage (price reduced by accepting Special Offers) with 6" screen: $199.00
Price today of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK tablet with 7" screen: $149.99
Price of same NOOK tablet after rebate ends: $199.99

It all depends on what you want to compare. That NOOK tablet is an Android device from a big-name manufacturer; there are no-name-brand Android tablets under $100.

There are valid reasons for wanting a dedicated reader instead of a tablet -- preference for e-ink, lack of distractions, maybe weight or other ergonomic factors, etc. -- but I disagree that price is a valid reason, especially when dedicated readers can cost more than a multi-purpose tablet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MariaESchneider said:
I think the OP decided and bought the Aura? If not or if someone is looking I might have a coupon code for 10 percent off. I'm a kobo associate and I posted some coupon codes a while back. Some of them may still be working.
I did see those and tried but they were no longer valid. The Aura is currently $129, no tax and free shipping. Looking forward to getting it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts