Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I uploaded a Word doc to Kobo, then after it converted, I downloaded and previewed on Adobe Digital Editions.  A few spacing errors is all I found.  Re-uploaded.  My question, is this now suitable for iTunes?  Can I upload a Word doc there?  I'll be using Mac In Cloud since I don't have a Mac.  If they only accept a .epub file, how do I save the Word doc as an .epub file?  I didn't see that option.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I'm currently looking into publishing directly at Apple, and it appears that the process is:

Word->html->epub

With Calibre doing the conversion from html to epub.  I guess there are other conversion programs also, but Calibre seems to be the most popular.

Haven't actually done it yet, so perhaps others can fill you in on the details.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
You will need an epub and it will need to be fully validating with an NCX table of contents. It is reportedly a huge pain in the posterior.

Another pitfall of Apple is that they will list whomever is on the tax information as the publisher, so if you don't have a DBA registered and a tax number for that DBA, all your books will be listed: Publisher: YOUR REAL NAME.

I have a Mac, but I'm going through D2D until we get financial paperwork taken care of.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Katie Elle said:
You will need an epub and it will need to be fully validating with an NCX table of contents. It is reportedly a huge pain in the posterior.
The silver lining in the cloud is that everyone, even Amazon, accepts ePub format for upload. So you create just one 'perfect' document, and everyone takes it. The produced ePub should pass the epubcheck without errors or warnings to be accepted by everyone without question. Sigil will create a perfect NCX TOC with remarkably little effort.

Yes, there's a learning curve in creating a perfect ePub, but once you get over that hump, it's pretty simple and straightforward. And Sigil (free) has epubcheck built in. All you do is click the link and then set to work cleaning up the errors and warnings. I upload the same ePub documents to Apple, Kobo, and B&N. Every upload was accepted without question.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
scribblr said:
The silver lining in the cloud is that everyone, even Amazon, accepts ePub format for upload. So you create just one 'perfect' document, and everyone takes it. The produced ePub should pass the epubcheck without errors or warnings to be accepted by everyone without question. Sigil will create a perfect NCX TOC with remarkably little effort.

Yes, there's a learning curve in creating a perfect ePub, but once you get over that hump, it's pretty simple and straightforward. And Sigil (free) has epubcheck built in. All you do is click the link and then set to work cleaning up the errors and warnings. I upload the same ePub documents to Apple, Kobo, and B&N. Every upload was accepted without question.
Calibre always seems to add errors to my files. Still haven't figured out why, but then I use Sigil to identify them for me. Most I can resolve by carefully excising the offending html. Love Sigil. It's the perfect ePub maker's friend. Once clean, I run the file through the ePub Validator to double check.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use Scrivener to make both ePUBs and MOBIs directly for the various sellers, and the output is universally great. One thing to remember for iTunes is to not put in any hyperlinks to Amazon or other non-iTunes booksellers. That will bounce your book back during review. So I use different copyright and "about" pages for each seller with links to their store for my other books in the series.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
H. S. St. Ours said:
I use Scrivener to make both ePUBs and MOBIs directly for the various sellers, and the output is universally great. One thing to remember for iTunes is to not put in any hyperlinks to Amazon or other non-iTunes booksellers. That will bounce your book back during review. So I use different copyright and "about" pages for each seller with links to their store for my other books in the series.
I use Scrivener as well. One thing: my epub with embedded cover was considered an epub with images, and refused by Apple. So, I make three files: .mobi, epub with embedded cover, epub without cover (compile, select 'cover'=none). As to different outlets, different links: I post a link to my blog and website. The about pages of both have all the links to all the retailers. I think it's better to do it that way, than put iTunes links in iTunes books and so on.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
AmsterdamAssassin said:
One thing: my epub with embedded cover was considered an epub with images, and refused by Apple.
Huh. I have embedded covers, but haven't run into problems with Apple rejecting the files. Do you go direct? I'm in through SW and D2D.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
H. S. St. Ours said:
One thing to remember for iTunes is to not put in any hyperlinks to Amazon or other non-iTunes booksellers. That will bounce your book back during review.
Are you allowed to put a link to your own website? (which may have links to other sellers)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
AmsterdamAssassin said:
One thing: my epub with embedded cover was considered an epub with images, and refused by Apple.
So you're not allowed to have images in books you publish to Apple?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Saul Tanpepper said:
Huh. I have embedded covers, but haven't run into problems with Apple rejecting the files. Do you go direct? I'm in through SW and D2D.
I create my own epubs and upload them to Apple using iTunesProducer. Producer validated the files, but Apple refused them. So I contacted the help line and sent one of my epubs. That's when they told me to remove the embedded cover and separate them in iTunes Producer. So I do direct and haven't had any trouble since.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
swolf said:
So you're not allowed to have images in books you publish to Apple?
You are, but they have limitations unlike the covers, so a hi-res cover can fail the test because it contains more than 2 million pixels.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
AmsterdamAssassin said:
Yes, I have links to my website and blog, both feature all links to all retailers.
AmsterdamAssassin said:
You are, but they have limitations unlike the covers, so a hi-res cover can fail the test because it contains more than 2 million pixels.
Ah, I see. Thanks to both of you.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I think the cover issue may be yet another example of human inconsistency (although for the cover issue it might well be the pixel density thing). I've had books slip by with Amazon links, but for the most part I link back to my website so buyers can choose for themselves where to purchase. I control that content and it makes updating very easy.

I've had files rejected for various other reasons, then pass on a subsequent go, even though I changed nothing.

Having said that, the more one can do to avoid issues, the faster the process should go.

G

·
Endi Webb said:
Another plug for sigil. I like having the dual normal/html view-- its nice to be able to custom add html where I want it. Then to go from epub to mobi I convert with calibre.
Why not use Kindlegen? I find that a lot easier. Calibre is great as a sort of iTunes for books, but as a publishing platform, I've always had problems with it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
AmsterdamAssassin said:
Interesting. †he covers work fine for me in both iTunes and B&N. There is a special "leave unchecked for iTunes" option in the compile menu regarding covers, but besides for that, Apple sucks it right up! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts