Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, what experience has anyone had with ent book of the day promotion? Particularly interested in # books sold, price discounts offered etc in Literary Fiction - coming of age, but all feedback is welcome.

Cheers

Jacob

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
JacobCarlisle said:
Hi all, what experience has anyone had with ent book of the day promotion? Particularly interested in # books sold, price discounts offered etc in Literary Fiction - coming of age, but all feedback is welcome.

Cheers

Jacob
Nothing in those categories, but ENT in general is number 2 in the charts of promo places to use after BookBub. After those two (for me) is Freebooksy and Midlist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been active on a thread in Goodreads, Best Bang for the Buck Book Promos; I've reported my results there, so it seems only proper to do so here too.
I've had two promos through ENT, both successful. Both were of books priced at 99¢ and I showed at least a small profit at the end of the day. The most recent promo garnered more than 100 downloads.
Second best has been Book Sends; I've had one promo, one attempt declined, a second scheduled soon. Same conditions, 99¢ discounted price.
Third is Free Kindle Books and Tips. I moved some 46 books but didn't make the cost back; net loss, about $7, allowing as much credit for the promo as possible.
Fourth has been Fussy Librarian; I lost about the same amount, mainly because the cost of the promo was $16. Partially successful.
I keep careful records, recording sales by book right up to the moment the email goes out. I corresponded with one promoter and his clickthrough count was exactly the same as my calculation, so I'm confident in my results.
No other site has produced much in the way of results. One, Kindle Book Review, was a total bust, despite the $40 promo fee. Best advice, avoid this site like the plague. I asked the site owner how many subscribers he had in my genre (SciFi), but got no reply.
Most of the sites are quite small as yet; many seem to be less than a year old. Fussy claims about 80 000 subscribers in my genre, but if so, they're not buyers. Maybe they only download free books, which I prefer not to do.
For most of the smaller sites, I rate them as 'not yet'. Maybe, in a year or two. I haven't tried BookBub (wow! that FEE!) or Book Gorilla. I don't expect to do business with BG; they sandwich Indie books between former bestsellers from the NY Times list. Tough to compete with those authors if you're as new as I am, not quite a year publishing my books.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had an ad with ENT on 2/23 but it wasn't a "Book of the Day" ad. Just a regular ol' bargain books ad. My genre is YA Fantasy. My price is $0.99.

I estimate it boosted my sales by 10 units or so which wasn't a great ROI but greatly appreciated in terms of getting new readers.

I

·
0 Posts
From the dozens of promo result threads I've read.

This: Nothing in those categories, but ENT in general is number 2 in the charts of promo places to use after BookBub.

I'd say MidList and BookSends are also very good for paid books.
FreeBooksys is probably #2 or #3 for free Book promotions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your responses! Just to let you all know, my book Small Fish Big Fish was ENT book of the day last Friday. It cost me $60.00. I sold 20 books on Friday and 2 each on Sat/Sun at $1.99 - a 60% reduction in the normal price. So, I'm probably down around $40.00. I wonder- is it the genre? (Literary Fiction with a coming of age theme) or the day I chose to promote it, or something else?
Cheers,
Jacob

·
Registered
161 Posts
No idea, but I also ran a (non-book of the day) ENT ad for a horror-thriller first-in-series that fell well below expectations and failed to recoup the cost. I am not surprised because the book is a chronic under-performer and I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that it must not be very appealing to readers of the genre(s). Not sure what other factors contribute to under-performance.

If it makes you feel any better, the advertising rates for most of these sites are theoretically based on the average ROI, so at least theoretically, about half of the books advertised will recoup less than the ad cost.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ran an ENT regular promo in December 2014 for a $0.99 science fiction book and sold 42 copies that day. My cost was $15, so I more than doubled my investment. ENT is the top of my list for when I launch the next book in the series in April (the author gods willing and the creeks don't rise).

Most of the other promos just about break even for me. A $10 eBookSoda did fairly well in February, but my book happened to get mentioned in a national USA Today column as an award winner just a couple of days before that, so it's hard to say what was because of that vs. my promotion efforts for my 3-day sale.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I think ENT only performs on $.99 and free price points. As far as I can tell, the $1.99 price point is a dead one.

I

·
0 Posts
Jacob

1) Literary Fiction in general is a much smaller genre. The audience also doesn't have as much overlap with promotion sites audience. Keep in mind that lots of promo sites grow either through word of mouth or advertising. In both cases large genres like Mysteries & Romance get disproportionately targeted.

2) Within Literary Fiction Coming of Age is not something that's as big. In my experience mentioning free books and deals, you might have been better off running in YA or in both YA and Literary Fiction.

3) $1.99 promotions are generally very inefficient. At $1.99 you're getting just 70 cents (unless you're doing it as a Kindle Countdown Deal.

$3 is better because you make $2 per sale. Nearly 3 times what you make on a $1.99 title.

However, personally, I think focus should be on acquiring readers and for that $1 is best.

4) I'd recommend searching around and finding what site works for Literary Fiction. I think Bookbub would. MidList might be a good option too. Apart from that, I think most promotion sites have more of a big-genre focused audience.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Categorized as fantasy, but themewise it's more similar to litfic COA/NA (which is clear in the blurb). Normally $2.99, non-book of the day promo at $0.99, sold 67 copies. About a month ago. And that's a book that normally sells <1/day. So it worked quite well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts