Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a few articles that sitting is really worse for us than we thought (but so is constant standing) and being extremely cheap, I have managed to convert my desk into a sit 'n stand!

Standing: I took the two plastic file folder bins that were on my floor next to my desk and stacked them on top. Laptop goes right on top.

* Slightly too high for typing, but forces me to use my SHOULDERS to support my arms, feels kinda good actually.
* I have peripheral neuropathy, mostly from bending my neck down slightly to see my screen when I'm in sitting mode with my laptop, I'm only 30 and I have the beginning of that nasty hump thing where my neck meets my back. In standing mode, it's AMAZING, I just look forward and there's the screen! No neck down at all!
* My mouse pad sits on top of my three drawer mini desk organizer, putting it right at a comfortable elbow height.

Sitting: All I have to do is slide the boxes back against the wall and bring my laptop down to the space in front. SHAZAM - Sitting desk again!

Gotta say, pretty darn awesome to DANCE while grooving to my music while writing! And I find myself Far more willing to get up walk away, MOVE while I'm working. Oh, and I have more patience with kiddo.

I posted pictures on Facebook...

Standing:

Sitting:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Now that's ingenious! I was working on getting my TV in front of my treadmill so I could watch hockey games while I walk, but then I realized that if I rearranged a few things and bought a few cables, I could rig it to use the computer while I walk as well. (My treadmill is next to my desk.) So that's my project this week.

Next, a flat screen on the bed with a keyboard and and a touchpad mounted on an articulating arm so it can hover over me as I lie in bed and type!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Rykymus said:
Next, a flat screen on the bed with a keyboard and and a touchpad mounted on an articulating arm so it can hover over me as I lie in bed and type!
That's what I want to do with my recliner- find an arm strong enough to hold my tablet, then I could use a wireless keyboard in my lap to type.

Instead of an articulating arm, I wonder if there's something that would work like a big wire- bending into a shape but still strong enough to hold weight up in whatever position you choose. It'd need to be about three feet long...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
T.L. Haddix said:
A note on screen positions - make sure your screen is elevated so that you are not looking down, but either straight across, or ever so slightly up. Prevents all kinds of nastiness, chiropractically speaking, or so I'm told. I know once I moved my monitors up a hair, my energy level actually went up. Nice. :)
Definitely agree on the screen position- I get neck strain from that. I've been toying with the idea of using my TV as a monitor- It's hung on the wall anyways in just the right position. Alas, if I hogged the TV for use as a monitor, the kids would scream bloddy murder... even though we have two other large TVs in the house.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Good idea, I remember I laughed when Secretary Rumsfeld showed off his standing desk. In the interview he extolled the benefits of a standing desk and I thought he was full of BS. But lately, since I began spending long periods writing while sitting and felt the negative effects--I am thinking of building a simple one.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i wrote 80 pages of a memoir in my bathroom. i was having back pain, so i put the laptop on a bathroom shelf that was about the right level.  ;D

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TexasGirl said:
I want to know what the sticky notes say.

Clever girl!
I actually just cleaned off my sticky notes. Usually that wall is awash with stickies - inspirational, tasks, etc. It's my WALL. Currently the orange one says "One Girl Revolution"

The Pink says Type Stone outline into Scrivener

And the two green ones, hehe, one is worth 1 load of laundry the other is worth 1 kitchen clean up. I use green for cleaning tasks. When I do them, I collect the sticky into my planner. 10 stickies = $3 on Amazon.com 25 stickies = 1 hour of just video gaming 50 stickies = lunch out. It's the only system I've figured out to keep me motivated a writer/housewife/mom. Weird I know, but it's nice to have a way to QUANTIFY what I do.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and I stood for 2 hours today. I felt an amazing difference in my blood flow and a slight uptick in my activity. I didn't WANT to just stand and read, I wanted to be DOING something. I also apparently have a natural tendency to dance as I stand and type.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Elizabeth Ann West said:
Oh and I stood for 2 hours today. I felt an amazing difference in my blood flow and a slight uptick in my activity. I didn't WANT to just stand and read, I wanted to be DOING something. I also apparently have a natural tendency to dance as I stand and type.
Know just what you mean. I've never had a desk-bound job and writing sitting down is not the way to do it for long stretches.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I've figured out how to make a temporary standing desk while I find parts for a treadmill desk. The treadmill desk is being more difficult than I expected but my standing desk is a lot like Elizabeth Ann's.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've found that an exercise ball provides a good no-slouch sitting position.

I had difficulties getting the heights (computer screen and mouse) right for the standing desk.  It's a great idea, though, when it works.

·
Registered
502 Posts
What a nifty and inexpensive way to do it! 
Someone sent me instructions on how to build a sitting/standing desk, and I've been nagging my husband for months to make it happen.

I need to fashion a tablet holder on my treadmill as well, so I can read and walk.  Right now my motivator is that it's sitting directly in front of our giant basement TV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts