Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I like it.  I will comment that I don't really like the font you're using for your name for some reason-- maybe because it's sans serif?  (Is that even the right term?)   It's just really, really plain.  I like the other fonts a lot-- but script often is pretty hard to read in smaller sizes.

Happy to see someone else writing android romance.  It's a sadly underutilized genre. ;D  Can't wait to read this one!

·
Registered
876 Posts
DelilahFawkes said:
Hi, guys,

I just finished my first draft of THE DROID WHO LOVED ME (an android-centric erotic romance), but now it's that special time. I need to get some cover advice.

Here's what I have so far:

I'm not sure if/how I can get the text to pop more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
I like the white font and image, but not the green (colour or font style). I've used that font on events posters and seen it used a lot, so maybe download an android-style font that's not been used much. I think it would be okay white like the rest; the difference in font would make it stand out anyway. I found it all fine to read, including your name. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I like the green.  But maybe it's too different from the other text, and doesn't tie into the rest of the picture.  I dunno.  I'm not sure how to tie it in better.

Delilah, I do think an author's name should be in a pretty plain font so it's nice and readable.  I just don't like that particular one-- but that might just be me!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally get it!  I don't want a crazy, cursive-y font for my name, but it's nice if that "pops," too  ;).

Thanks, guys! It's always fascinating to see what appeals to certain people and turns others off.  To green, or not to green? That is the question..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm not a fan of most script fonts, they are so difficult to read. Beyond that, the fonts here don't really jive with each other. Have you tried just putting the entire title in the "droid" font? You could still offset it by color if you're trying to highlight the word droid in green specifically. Maybe put an outline on that white font? It is a bit hard to see in the glare of his chest.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am cover-art-challenged when it comes to actually making them so I asked my cover designer.

He says: You could you put a "stroke" (Photoshop term) around the font so that the letters have a black outline.

I like the cover image. It will look good once the title is readable. :)

Hope that helps

Angelina

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
WizardofWestmarch said:
Just as a heads up, the term Droid is actually trademarked by George Lucas. Sadly I'm not kidding. Not positive it will give you problems here or not, but might be worth looking into.
Had not idea but when I mentioned it to my husband he said the same thing. You actually have to get permission from Lucas to use it and from what I hear, he's not so nice about that sort of thing. Totally sucks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
fayrlite said:
Had not idea but when I mentioned it to my husband he said the same thing. You actually have to get permission from Lucas to use it and from what I hear, he's not so nice about that sort of thing. Totally sucks.
Not surprised. I know the Droid line of Android phones from Motorola paid a TON of money for rights to use the name. Just wasn't 100% certain if it would apply here as well, as I'm not a lawyer unlike your husband :).

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
WizardofWestmarch said:
I'm not a lawyer unlike your husband :).
lol Boy did he like that. :D He's actually a scientist with entirely too many facts crammed into his head. I've not taken any copyright classes yet so these things are a little sketchy for me. Here in 3 years I should be far more useful. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
The whole design needs more. Right now it's just a plain male chest with nothing to reel me in, no color, no layout, not even the text is interesting. It's quite boring. Which is sad because the potential is there for something really cool. I love the mix of sci-fi & erotica it's one of my favorite genre's to design because there is just so much you can do with it.

In this genre though there are so many covers with the sexy torso you really have to do something extra to stand out. I'm not saying torsos aren't good, they are, and usually they do help sell a book, but JUST a torso doesn't say anything at all about your novel or you as an author. If you were to slap a different title on this cover it would still be fine, do you understand? The image is interchangeable and that is not good. You want a design that speaks both to the sci-fi AND the erotica fans. And on top of that you need a design that gives a little glimpse into the authors voice/style.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Depending on which graphics program you're using, there are a couple of ways to make text stand out.  Some of the simplest involve graphics filters.  Try out filters called "glow", "drop shadow" or "bevel" and see how you like them.

One of the biggest problems is that the section of the image behind the text is high-contrast.  This means that no matter what color you choose for the text, it's going to get a little lost in the image.  For the author name, you might be able to solve that problem by adding a solid or semi-transparent stripe behind the text.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Off-topic:

Hi RazzleDazzle!  Nice to see someone else awake at this hour.  I'm based in Germany, so I generally post while everyone else is sleeping ;)

Maria Schneider pointed me toward your web site yesterday.  I thought some of your recent cover designs were just lovely.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Argh, I can't believe Lucas can irritate me even when I'm *not* watching the new trilogy!  *shakes fist at George, wherever he is*

Thank you for all the photoshop help, you guys.  Ideally, I'd like either some sort of funky circuitry pattern behind the Hot Bod, or maybe even a nebula cloud... yet the challenge is that I'm a 'shop newbie.

I'm at work right now, but I'll play around with font effects when I get home and give it another go.  Thanks for all the advice!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.