Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for Erotica authors. Do you draw your characters from people you know personally, athletes, celebrities or fantasy lovers? Or, are they an combination of these influences?

·
Registered
294 Posts
What a fun question!  :D

As for main characters, so far my gals are people who are shy or relatively inexperienced who have something prompting them to explore their sexuality.  I like the idea of people coming out of their shells  ;)

For example, in Droid Who Loves Me, Alex has to figure out how to get over her issues to ask for what she wants from her lover.  In a new release (coming soon), Kelly just got dumped after a relationship with a long time boyfriend who was less-than-generous and uses a new sexual experience as a way to get her groove back.

As far as celebrities or fantasy lovers go, I will admit it... I totally wrote Droid because I've always loved Data from Star Trek!  :D  I know, I know.  I'm a huge geek.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Data was a real love machine. 

But to answer your question -- so far, my characters are based up celebrities or characters they play (but with all of the serial numbers filed off - because I don't want to get sued for having Megan Fox going after and scoring with Josh Duhumal, then evolving into a threesome when Fergie shows up).

·
Registered
977 Posts
Can it be Megan Fox, Josh Duhmel and... I show up? LOL!

Okay, back on topic... in Obsession, I completely based my male character on Robert Pattinson. In fact, I keep meaning to send him a copy of my book with a note thanking him for the inspiration. *off to find a copy of my book* ;)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
WFMeyer said:
This is for Erotica authors. Do you draw your characters from people you know personally, athletes, celebrities or fantasy lovers? Or, are they an combination of these influences?
None of the above. My characters have always been created to fit the story. I find it much easier to create a character than to use a real person (or character someone else has created) as a basis for one of mine.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Mine are born by looking at pictures or random people I see on the street but don't know. I try to guess what kind of person they are, what they are thinking, and how they would react in a given situation.
Sometimes not only characters, but whole stories (or storylines) spring from that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
DelilahFawkes said:
What a fun question! :D

As for main characters, so far my gals are people who are shy or relatively inexperienced who have something prompting them to explore their sexuality. I like the idea of people coming out of their shells ;).

For example, in Droid Who Loves Me, Alex has to figure out how to get over her issues to ask for what she wants from her lover. In a new release (coming soon), Kelly just got dumped after a relationship with a long time boyfriend who was less-than-generous and uses a new sexual experience as a way to get her groove back.

As far as celebrities or fantasy lovers go, I will admit it... I totally wrote Droid because I've always loved Data from Star Trek! :D I know, I know. I'm a huge geek.
I wondered about that as soon as I read the description!

He was fully functional, you know. ;)

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
For me, it's a mishmash. However, Emma in Sex Zombies is modeled directly after Emma Stone, since I wrote it after seeing Easy A.

She is gorgeous in a girl-next-door kind of way. (And Easy A is a great movie.)

And I had Jason Biggs in mind when I wrote Jason in Amulet. (Original with the names, huh?)

However, it's not a good idea to let your readers know who the character looks like. Because then you've just lost all the people who don't like that person. Give them the sketch and let their mind fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
anne_holly said:
I wondered about that as soon as I read the description!

He was fully functional, you know. ;)
@Ellen RIGHT? See, we're totally on the same page.

@anne_holly I saw Brent Spiner at Emerald City Comic Con this year and he joked that we all know that "fully functional" meant Data had three speeds. :D I almost died.

·
Registered
294 Posts
swolf said:
For me, it's a mishmash. However, Emma in Sex Zombies is modeled directly after Emma Stone, since I wrote it after seeing Easy A.

And I had Jason Biggs in mind when I wrote Jason in Amulet. (Original with the names, huh?)

However, it's not a good idea to let your readers know who the character looks like. Because then you've just lost all the people who don't like that person. Give them the sketch and let their mind fill in the blanks.
Emma Stone is adorable and hilarious. Nice choice, dude!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh, I always use my latest crush as the hero in my erotica and erotic romances. I've been through hunks such as Kevin Bacon, Vincent D'Onofrio, David Krumholtz, James Marsters, Paul McGann... dozens of them. Most of them look like Simon Baker at the moment.  ;D

And yes, I once patterned a hero vaguely on Data too, using his innocence and 'capabilities', although this character was actually human.

·
Registered
294 Posts
portiadacosta said:
Oh, I always use my latest crush as the hero in my erotica and erotic romances. I've been through hunks such as Kevin Bacon, Vincent D'Onofrio, David Krumholtz, James Marsters, Paul McGann... dozens of them. Most of them look like Simon Baker at the moment. ;D

And yes, I once patterned a hero vaguely on Data too, using his innocence and 'capabilities', although this character was actually human.
Now if you could just direct us to which book has the Pseudo-James Marsters in it... you know..

For science ;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
swolf said:

Agreed!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm with swolf in that I keep character descriptions in the books vague. I think my inspirations are more a mish-mash of personality traits that I come across in movies, anime, and tv shows. However, I can admit that Cillian Murphy, Roy Depuis, and Fu'ad Aït Aattou have helped in the physical inspiration department at one time or another.  :D

BTW, Portia I've picked up a couple of your titles and am so looking forward to reading them...especially "Forbidden Treasures."  ;D

·
Registered
472 Posts
DelilahFawkes said:
Now if you could just direct us to which book has the Pseudo-James Marsters in it... you know..

For science ;)
The two most James-ish books I've had published are one I wrote for Ellora's Cave, Lessons and Lovers, and one I wrote under the pseudonym Dorothy Starr, called Designed for Sin. Both available for Kindle, at least they were. :)

He wasn't a vampire or anything in either of them. The hero just looked like him, with his Spike hair.

·
Registered
294 Posts
portiadacosta said:
The two most James-ish books I've had published are one I wrote for Ellora's Cave, Lessons and Lovers, and one I wrote under the pseudonym Dorothy Starr, called Designed for Sin. Both available for Kindle, at least they were. :)

He wasn't a vampire or anything in either of them. The hero just looked like him, with his Spike hair.
Excellent.. *tents fingers*

Thanks, Portia!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts