Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hate to be nosy but...

How well did you do last month?

I just recently started with my new erotica series, releasing a new short story every two weeks or so, and I've sold quite a bit already. It's surprising, although I have put in quite a bit of work in promotion.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do you care to share sales numbers?  I'm just curious, because I do have a few SF, Fantasy, and Fairy Tale themed erotic stories as WIP, some nearly finished.  I heard erotica sells well, but I'm not sure how well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TWGallier said:
Do you care to share sales numbers? I'm just curious, because I do have a few SF, Fantasy, and Fairy Tale themed erotic stories as WIP, some nearly finished. I heard erotica sells well, but I'm not sure how well.
Hi TW, I've been selling a couple a day of each book (they're short stories, btw). I just published them about a month ago, so I think I'm doing ok (or I should say, I'm happy with the results). I heard Smashwords was a hard place to make sales, but I seem to be selling more there than on Amazon.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hanna.reed80 said:
Hi TW, I've been selling a couple a day of each book (they're short stories, btw). I just published them about a month ago, so I think I'm doing ok (or I should say, I'm happy with the results). I heard Smashwords was a hard place to make sales, but I seem to be selling more there than on Amazon.
I'm on Smashwords, too. I heard it was pretty good for erotica sales. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if SF/Fantasy/Fairy tale themed erotic will sell as well, but it's what I write. There isn't nothing to do but try, right?

·
Registered
586 Posts
TWGallier said:
I'm on Smashwords, too. I heard it was pretty good for erotica sales. Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if SF/Fantasy/Fairy tale themed erotic will sell as well, but it's what I write. There isn't nothing to do but try, right?
I used to write a few short erotica stories. What are the guidelines on the Kindle? I haven't seen anything mentioned. Does anybody check? I read that furore about the paedophile book that was only eventuallytaken down when buyers complained. Any ideas?

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm working on a novella.

Can you share what your promo has been thus far?

M

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My erotic romance sales have really sunk lately.  My bestseller on B&N sold between 25-45 a day in May, my second seller maybe ten a day, and the rest are just selling a few a day.  (Back in February and March I was selling hundreds of some titles a day.)  On Amazon, I sold around 250 each for the month of May on three erotic romance titles, but none of them are doing as well as my regular romance titles.  My erotic stuff always did better on B&N, but lately B&N isn't doing great for me, either.  I have a new title coming out next week-- maybe that'll help.  Or maybe not *shrugs*.

·
Registered
438 Posts
greenpen said:
I used to write a few short erotica stories. What are the guidelines on the Kindle? I haven't seen anything mentioned. Does anybody check? I read that furore about the paedophile book that was only eventuallytaken down when buyers complained. Any ideas?
You want to stay away from these things...IMHO

- Characters under the age of 18. (Writing about randy high-schoolers, will get you taken down).
- Bestiality (supernatural creatures are fine: were-cats, were-wolves, etc...).
- Necrophilia (Again, supernatural creatures are fine, i.e. vampires, zombies...etc..)
- Incest (ok this one is tricky, 'siblings' and 'kissing cousins' seem ok. But any 'parent' or 'aunt-uncle' scenarios freak people out..).

Somewhere Selena Kitt has a post on this.

Back on topic, my attempt at erotica didn't sell well, but it may have been a little too weird for most people. My writing has a tendency to skew into the Twilight Zone, no matter what genre. ;D

·
Registered
586 Posts
T.J. Dotson said:
You want to stay away from these things...IMHO

- Characters under the age of 18. (Writing about randy high-schoolers,

That's exactly what I wrote about before:-( Mind you, I never specifically mentioned anybody's actual age. I won't be reprinting that stuff on the Kindle then. Thanks for the info T. J.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
That's exactly what I wrote about before:-( Mind you, I never specifically mentioned anybody's actual age. I won't be reprinting that stuff on the Kindle then. Thanks for the info T. J.
You could always rewrite it to college age!

But I agree with the above assessment, under-18 sex definitely appears to be one of the things Amazon will remove.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You know, I was actually thinking of making an adult version of my book comedy/fantasy book. lol

If I do, I'll take the advice on this forum and make all my high schoolers college age. Oh man, I think that'll make things all the better  ;D LOL!

·
Registered
586 Posts
EllenFisher said:
You could always rewrite it to college age!
Thanks but I don't think I will any time soon. I'm establishing myself in the horror field ATM. Better safe than sorry:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm doing erotic novelettes (a little less than 10k words), and they're doing far better than I expected them to, really. I posted my numbers in the other "How did you do this month" thread (they're also on my blog at http://bookbiz.jamiedebree.com with a pricing analysis). The bdsm themed one is my best-seller so far, and it's off and running again this month. I sell more erotica at All Romance eBooks than I do at Amazon.

I'm aiming for one novelette every other month, with a collection of them all put out just before Christmas. Good thing the next one went toward the bdsm end of the spectrum as well, I guess. I expected it to sell, but I wasn't expecting it to do *that* well... :)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
People love BDSM.

I did ok last month for where I am and when I started. I'm going to give approximate numbers because I'm too lazy for exact numbers.

I have three short stories at $0.99. Each one, Amazon and B&N combined, is selling 25-50 copies a month over the last two months.

I have two novellas (novelletes probably, but I call them novellas). I sell them for $2.99. One, Fiona in Chains, has sold about 150 copies over the last two months, so I'm very pleased with that. The other, Chelsea's Back Alley Sexploits -- how's that for a trashy title! -- has sold about 60 copies over the last couple of months. I'm ok with that. I can write these short novellas in a week if I sit my butt down in a chair and get to work, so in theory I can get a lot of titles up quickly. I think the more I get up, the more synergy I create.

I have one collection of the three short stories plus excerpts from a version of Fanny Hill I created where I removed the boring parts and summarized them (or, as my girlfriend said, I removed all the foreplay). I sell that for $2.99. It came out in late April and has done well, probably 60 copies sold so far across Amazon and B&N.

I didn't get my stuff up on Smashwords until late April so I have only $28 in sales there so far. I do have one Diesel sale. Believe me, that surprised me. I don't have reports for the other channels.

I'm happy with where I am. I have a plan. I can write this stuff. It's not my favorite thing to write, but eating is one of my favorite things and this stuff seems like a surer sale. Eventually I hope to write some different kinds of things under a different pen name, but for now it's about making money to pay some bills because I'm below the poverty line right now and I'm having trouble making myself look for technical writing jobs. I've done that for 25 years and I've had enough of it, I think.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just put Tit for Tat up a couple of weeks into May and have sold 4 copies on Smashwords and 6 on Amazon in that time, and 3 copies on Amazon so far this month  ;).

13 copies in a couple of weeks with virtually no promo seems encouraging, although small numbers.  I haven't been getting the word out yet because I've been working on my second release, an android erotica novella called The Droid Who Loved Me (lol!)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
DelilahFawkes said:
I just put Tit for Tat up a couple of weeks into May and have sold 4 copies on Smashwords and 6 on Amazon in that time, and 3 copies on Amazon so far this month ;).

13 copies in a couple of weeks with virtually no promo seems encouraging, although small numbers. I haven't been getting the word out yet because I've been working on my second release, an android erotica novella called The Droid Who Loved Me (lol!)
I've done virtually no promo too. I think I posted in the Book Bazaar once or twice. I recently set up a FB account for this pen name but I haven't done much with it. I have a blog I started, but again, I haven't done much. I'm not convinced promotion does a lot unless you really put a LOT of time into it -- at least the kind of free promotion we can do through social media. Pixel of Ink and KND ads seem to work, but those cost money. It's also hard to qualify with erotica.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very true. It's hard to tell what's effective, other than just writing more :)!

In the meantime, I started a blog over at http://delilahfawkes.wordpress.com, and will be interviewing Aislynn Archer over there later today :D. If anyone else would like a review or to do a guest post over at My Place, let me know, and I'd be happy to have you.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't do much promotion for either of my names - which makes me wonder how much more I'd be selling if I did, but frankly, I'm lazy, and I do think back list will help more than anything else. So I focus on that, and do most of my promoting through tweets via my business name. My serial stories on various blogs seem to help too.

I've started doing videos on youtube...but mainly for my rom. suspense lines. Might have to do some trailers for the erotica...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hmm...these numbers are encouraging. I have an erotic horror (vampire) novella that I'm about 7k words into. I think what I didn't do well last time was a good job separating myself from my Pen_name. If that makes sense. I put up two shorts and the blurb was kind of terrible. I'll redo and see what happens. I did notice that when changed it to 'free' on Smashwords, I got 24 downloads that day. I took it down the next day.

This is really good information I'm reading so far though, thanks guys!  ::)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
T.J. Dotson said:
Hmm...these numbers are encouraging. I have an erotic horror (vampire) novella that I'm about 7k words into. I think what I didn't do well last time was a good job separating myself from my Pen_name. If that makes sense. I put up two shorts and the blurb was kind of terrible. I'll redo and see what happens. I did notice that when changed it to 'free' on Smashwords, I got 24 downloads that day. I took it down the next day.

This is really good information I'm reading so far though, thanks guys! ::)
My feeling is you want a hot cover and you want your book to be very clearly erotica. Erotica readers want erotica. If you make them think it's a horror book, they may stay away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts