Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's K2 came today and seeing the thing laying around w/o a cover makes me realize how many opportunities Gravity and Murphy have to find a commonality of purpose.  :eek: 

Rather than bother the fine, fine folks at Oberion HQ with another predictable and oft-answered question, I thought I'd ask here since some of you seem to be telepathically linked (or talk enough to achieve the same effect).

Is there an ETA of when Oberion thinks they'll have the K2 covers going out the door?  (trying to estimate how many times I'll have sneak the K2 back in the packaging)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had e-mailed about changing the design for my cover, and received an e-mail back on 2/23 saying they were going to do a mass e-mail to their people with open orders to give them one last chance to change, and they hoped to begin shipping within 2 weeks. Jeni

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really hope Oberon uses the new hinge system for the Kindle 2 covers.
If not, I'll probably go back to M-Edge who has already added a version with the new K2 hinges.
While the corner straps were understandable for the oddly shaped first-gen Kindle, now that the K2 is explicitly designed for a hinge system (and they're clearly licensing them, or providing manufacturers with purchasing info for them), I hope Oberon switches to use it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
patrickb said:
I really hope Oberon uses the new hinge system for the Kindle 2 covers.
If not, I'll probably go back to M-Edge who has already added a version with the new K2 hinges.
While the corner straps were understandable for the oddly shaped first-gen Kindle, now that the K2 is explicitly designed for a hinge system (and they're clearly licensing them, or providing manufacturers with purchasing info for them), I hope Oberon switches to use it.
Like I just posted on the other thread, Patrizia has spoken with Don at Oberon several times and it seems like the decision has been made that they will NOT be using the hinges in their covers. Velcro and corner options, for both the K1 and K2. 18 designs, 2 colors each, for a choice of 36 covers to choose from.

L

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I just cannot picture the hinges working with the Oberon cover and maybe it will not work and that's why they've flat out said it isn't happening.  The leather is so soft and floppy -- I can't imagine just having the Kindle held onto that by 2 tiny hinges.  ???

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting my K2 cover. I'm scared to read anywhere other than in bed.  :eek:

As for me, I don't really want hinges, or feel that I need them. I think it would make it bulkier and I don't like that it can flap around on one side.

·
Registered
142 Posts
VMars said:
I am eagerly awaiting my K2 cover. I'm scared to read anywhere other than in bed. :eek:

As for me, I don't really want hinges, or feel that I need them. I think it would make it bulkier and I don't like that it can flap around on one side.
Just throwing this in here. The hinge unit sticks out maybe a 1/4 inch at most from the side of the kindle and the bracket that gets stitched into the case is no thicker than a 1/32 of an inch. It really wouldn't add any bulkiness at all. The flapping around issue I can understand...just wanted to make sure there were no misconceptions on the size of the latch.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think Patrizia also mentioned that the hinges might add too much cost to the covers, forcing Oberon to raise their prices.  I think they make their covers on demand and as such they couldn't buy the hinges in bulk.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys!

wilsondm2 said:
I think Patrizia also mentioned that the hinges might add too much cost to the covers, forcing Oberon to raise their prices. I think they make their covers on demand and as such they couldn't buy the hinges in bulk.
All of their covers are made when you order them. They'd have to bulk-order the hinges and, as I said in the other ("oberion needs your help") thread it can be a harsh decision for a small business that runs on a thinner margin and can't wait for a year or three for investments to be repaid.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Also, remember anyone who has looked at any of their covers would not want them to try any design with enough up front costs to make even the slightest chance that they might have to go out of business.

Their covers are just too lovely.

By the way, I am a man, who normally could care less about how something looks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
wilsondm2 said:
I think Patrizia also mentioned that the hinges might add too much cost to the covers, forcing Oberon to raise their prices. I think they make their covers on demand and as such they couldn't buy the hinges in bulk.
'Might' means nothing. I don't buy it. I guarantee those hinges don't cost much at all. The M-Edge Prodigy jacket with hinges and two outer corners is only $29.99. The exact same price as the 'Executive' jacket with four corners. Clearly, this is not some great cost to M-Edge since the price is identical. Considering the Oberon is $75, to argue that the hinges would increase the price? I don't buy it.

I love my Oberon with my K1, but while the huge corner straps that the K1 Oberon uses are 'tolerable' (despite covering two keys - something the M-Edge corners never did), they would be absolutely monstrous on a K2 and I think totally ruin part of its look. If Oberon has slimmer corners for the K2 cover, I might tolerate it, but the comments about the hinges sound like excuses to me. Sounds like they just don't want to have to change anything or deal with it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really don't know why that would be a customers concern.  If you're that concerned about the cost of them doing business, send them a check.  If a company produces products I want to buy, I'll buy then.  If they don't want to, for whatever reason, then I'll get it somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Also. . . recall they invested in a machine to do the corners. . .at the request of many members here. . .let's at least let them recoup that cost before we go asking for more! :)

Ann
I hope they can make the corners smaller for K2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
wilsondm2 said:
I would pay more for a hinge cover. they could have 2 price points

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dixielogs said:
I would pay more for a hinge cover. they could have 2 price points
It's not about price points, per se; though, that does factor into it on the retail end.

If the product quality can be maintained -- Oberion relies a LOT on passive marketing (what's often called word-of-mouth) and if the quality falls off, so does that marketing angle -- then it's about affordability in providing the product.

If there's enough demand, a company will do most anything if they can turn a profit at it. There is, though, a cost associated. If Oberion had to buy special machinery to do the corners for Kindles, they wouldn't do it until it would pay for itself in a fiscally responsible way. Now, it may have cost $100 or $5,000 or more, it may have other uses, etc, but until they knew there was a solid market (aka, people like me who would be buying covers and refused to use velcro) they wouldn't make the investment in the machine or retooling or whatever was necessary.

If there was demand for 10,000 hinge-sporting Oberion covers this year, I'm pretty sure they'd do it, if they see only demand of 100, you can prolly forget it.

"Is there enough demand to make the investment in providing it worthwhile over the time we can carry the hit to bottom-line income?" 99 times out of a hundred, if this answer is "Yes" the product comes to market. Sometimes, the answer is 'um, kinda...well...er...' and that is when you have to raise prices on other products to compensate for slow return on the product change you invested in.

I don't think they want to raise their current prices and it doesn't seem they see enough demand to return on the retooling investment in a fiscally responsible timeframe.

No (reasonable) company wants to lose a sale b/c they don't have the product someone wants but business is a lot more complicated than that on the back end, especially in small businesses who can't suffer a large outlay of cash to get reduced bulk pricing and have huge unit-sales.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Personally, having had an Oberon cover for my K1, I don't want the hinges with the new K2 covers.  I think it would ruin the nice way the Oberon covers fold back and create a nice hand hold.

If you want the hinges that badly look elsewhere.

If you want an Oberon cover then get used to the idea that you won't have hinges.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts