Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 700 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yup, this pretty much sums up my experience, too. :)

Key phrases instead of keywords. Amazon searches on any and all of them. If you've got "alien teen shifter romance ebook" and "romantic science fiction paranormal kindle book for teens" as two of your keywords and someone searches "alien shifter teen book" your book should come up in the search.

Also category keywords don't need to be isolated to work. So "funny dog Romantic comedy ebook" will still get you into the romantic comedy category.

Hope that helps!

Rue

·
Registered
141 Posts
garam81 said:
I typed in "Paranormal romance witch ghost zombie" and your book (Halloween Magic and Mayhem) was the first to appear on the page.
The real question is whether or not the book appears if you just type: Paranormal romance witch

Keith

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It's kinda fun searching for possible keywords using the Amazon search.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just thought I'd do some search tests for the heck of it. Entered "horror books for teens", and my book came up on the seventh page. What really kind of irks me, though, are all the books that come up in that search with pictures of muscled dudes in their underwear. Seriously? In "horror books for teens". Romance/erotica writers are out of control. ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Keith Strohm said:
The real question is whether or not the book appears if you just type: Paranormal romance witch

Keith
No question at all, I don't think. It would appear because those words are in her keywords.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
Thanks for this. Bookmarking.

I typed in 'humorous book about emigration' and But Can You Drink The Water? was the only one to show up ;D. But how many readers would actively be looking for a humorous book about emigration? 'Book about emigration' brought it up as No 5.

When I tried 'book for left-handed child' The Race came in at No 2.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Jan Hurst-Nicholson said:
Thanks for this. Bookmarking.

I typed in 'humorous book about emigration' and But Can You Drink The Water? was the only one to show up ;D. But how many readers would actively be looking for a humorous book about emigration? 'Book about emigration' brought it up as No 5.
What about 'humorous travelogues'?

·
Registered
593 Posts
jakedfw said:
This makes me scratch my head, not because you are wrong Evenstar, but because it effectively means that there is no real keyword limit, despite what Amazon says about it being limited to 7.
You're limited to 400 characters. Any words after 400 characters get cut off.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
This thread is a good reminder to test your keywords every so often. I've just done it for mine and tweaked them a bit.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
ruecole said:
Most readers won't browse past page 3.
This is so true. I was looking for my own work and got bored if I didn't find myself by page 3. If I can't be bothered to search for myself then readers certainly won't make the effort.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
Lydniz said:
This is so true. I was looking for my own work and got bored if I didn't find myself by page 3. If I can't be bothered to search for myself then readers certainly won't make the effort.
I made it to about page 15 before giving up ;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is really helpful, thank you! I had no idea you could string words together like that. I so love the collective wisdom and sharing here.

Nancy

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You also have to be careful that you are not OVERSTUFFING as amazon will clamp down on that and remember they use those keyword to determine sub categories. If you stuff tons of keywords in there that are NOTHING to do with your book, you are going to be in a heap of trouble from Amazon and probably readers.

I can see everyone running now and stuffing random useless keywords and then a month later seeing amazon remove that like they did with tagging. SLAPS HEAD!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
kalel said:
You also have to be careful that you are not OVERSTUFFING as amazon will clamp down on that and remember they use those keyword to determine sub categories. If you stuff tons of keywords in there that are NOTHING to do with your book, you are going to be in a heap of trouble from Amazon and probably readers.

I can see everyone running now and stuffing random useless keywords and then a month later seeing amazon remove that like they did with tagging. SLAPS HEAD!!!
I'd like to know if anyone has been subject to this kind of reaction from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
David S. said:
It's fairly easy to test. Just type some stuff in the Amazon search box and see what comes up.

Using this string of keywords:

paranormal romance witch werewolf zombies ghost shifter love

paranormal romance 44,523
romance paranormal 44,499
"paranormal romance" 22,032
"romance paranormal" 27,391
paranormal 73,525
romance 330,643

witch 13,490
werewolf 10,621
witch werewolf 983
werewolf witch 983
"werewolf witch" 559
"witch werewolf" 28

shifter 8,749
love 176,723
shifter love 1,545
"shifter love" 40

witch shifter 852
"witch shifter" 9

werewolf romance 6,451
"werewolf romance" 1,594

Any one word will hit every book that uses that word in their keywords, and a few other places, so a lot of hits (romance).

Combine two words and the hits are dramatically reduced (paranormal romance) because it has to hit both words.

Put quotes around those two words and it has to hit both words in consecutive order ("paranormal romance" or "romance paranormal"), reducing the number of hits.

The longer the string of consecutive words the user enters, especially if they are enclosed in quotes, the smaller the number of hits. You can use this to your advantage, or it can kill you.
How do you account for the quotation marks in your keywords? And do you think a lot of people search using quotation marks?

What I think you're saying is that a person can search for a phrase using quotes and unless those words are in that exact order in my keywords, my book won't come up.

21 - 40 of 700 Posts