Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came up with an idea for a flash fiction collection that I think could turn out really, really well. However, the topic is dark. Very dark. As a new-ish writer it kind of scared me. Like, I didn't know I had this side to my personality.

Do I go with it? A lot of the subject material would have to do with death. I almost kind of worry how people could take it. I don't want anyone to hurt themselves after having read it :D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Alain, I don't know where you live or how old you are . . . but many, many years ago in Texas, there was a guy who went up into a tower on a college campus and proceeded to shoot at students with a high power rifle.  Shortly after this happened, I read an interview with Stephen King.  He said that if it wasn't for his writing, he could be that guy.  I totally identified with that!  So, finding that side to your personality . . . is . . . a good thing!

I sometimes have ideas that I think if they got out to the general population, it could be a bad thing.  But, really, everybody has free choice . . .

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JerriLincoln said:
Alain, I don't know where you live or how old you are . . . but many, many years ago in Texas, there was a guy who went up into a tower on a college campus and proceeded to shoot at students with a high power rifle. Shortly after this happened, I read an interview with Stephen King. He said that if it wasn't for his writing, he could be that guy. I totally identified with that! So, finding that side to your personality . . . is . . . a good thing!

I sometimes have ideas that I think if they got out to the general population, it could be a bad thing. But, really, everybody has free choice . . .
I'm in my twenties.

See the thing is, I don't really have any malicious evil tendencies toward other people. I can't even squish a spider. I go through this huge, dramatic ceremony of catching it (which involves a broom and several different sizes of cups) to let it got outside.

The flash fiction would be more just a darker, exploring death kind of thing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think you really need to be malicious to have darker themed stories. You could always explore the writing a bit more and try to flesh it out and see how you feel after you get things down on paper.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Don't worry.  In order to appreciate and understand the nature of goodness, you have to know what darkness is.

I'm a very gentle person, but I like dark stuff and always will.  In life there has to be balance.  Getting the darkness out is a way of balancing ourselves.

Now I'm intrigued to know what your story is all about.  Write it.  If people are going to do harm to others or themselves, they would do it with or without a book, record, movie.  I never feel compelled to darkness by reading about it. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Write it up!  ;D

When it's done you can decide whether or not to publish.

Shana

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've written a lot of horror, some of it very dark. And as a writer and a bookseller, I have known most of the American horror writers of the past couple of decades. I'm a Guest of Honor at a horror convention in September (KillerCon, in Las Vegas). And I can guarantee you that most of the people who write the darkest, most twisted, creepy stuff (like... well, like me. See "The Slab" for starters) are the nicest, most gentle, well-balanced folks around. Not a mass murderer among us.

Those of us who can exorcise our private demons on the page have an advantage over the ones who internalize it.

So I agree--go for it.  It might turn out to be the best stuff you've ever written!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? You let it languish in a drawer somewhere?

Oh, wait, that's what I did when some of my writing creeped me out. Then I realized if it creeped me out, as the author, then surely it would have some sort of effect on potential readers- which made me consider publishing them (even if under a pen name).

Just go with it. Just the fact that you are moved by the idea means you're not crazy. The crazy ones wouldn't be bothered with questioning it :) if that makes any sense!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
FADE IN:

1 EXT. - WASHINGTON DC

The White House is hollowed out and burning.

2 EXT. - NEW YORK HARBOR

As the camera PANS IN, we see the Statue of Liberty on it's side, smoldering in the aftermath of some horrible battle.

3 EXT. - SOUTH DAKOTA - MOUNT RUSHMORE

As the national monument comes into focus, we see that three of the faces have been blown away and a worker calls an All Clear as the fourth EXPLODES in a dazzling display of SPECIAL FX.

4 EXT. - GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE

As the camera draws near, we see that bridge is DESTROYED, with hundreds of people brutally fighting each other to climb up the remnants to safety. Sharks circle below, GOBBLING UP those who fall from the bridge

5 INT. - SPACE NEEDLE - SEATTLE

A hostage situation us underway, but the famous restaurant begins to TILT. Cut to exterior to watch the famous structure fall to the ground, killing all inside, and hundreds of bystanders.

6 INT - TEXAS SCHOOLBOOK DEPOSITORY MUSEUM

All those visiting the historic site lay dead. ZOOM IN on one victim, holding a KINDLE that is STILL ACTIVE. On the screen, we see a story with the words "By Alain Gomez" clearly distinguishable as the camera goes in ultra-close.

JOHN CONNOR (V.O.)
On July 14, 2011, Skynet became self-aware and the War Against the Machines began. As near as historians can tell, it was a Kindle short story by Alain Gomez that pushed Skynet over the border to self-awareness. In all the war and death that followed, many wonder who might have inspired the otherwise meek, humble, kindly author to self-publish something so... dark. Whoever uttered those words is lost to history now, but I can only imagine it went something like this:

Kpfowler said:
Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen?
FADE TO TITLE:

TERMINATOR 5: DARK GENESIS

MUSIC UP

ROLL OPENING CREDITS

Muahahahahhahahahahahahaha! (You want dark? I'll give you dark...) ;)

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kpfowler said:
Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? You let it languish in a drawer somewhere?

Oh, wait, that's what I did when some of my writing creeped me out. Then I realized if it creeped me out, as the author, then surely it would have some sort of effect on potential readers- which made me consider publishing them (even if under a pen name).

Just go with it. Just the fact that you are moved by the idea means you're not crazy. The crazy ones wouldn't be bothered with questioning it :) if that makes any sense!
It does make sense :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Alain Gomez said:
I came up with an idea for a flash fiction collection that I think could turn out really, really well. However, the topic is dark. Very dark. As a new-ish writer it kind of scared me. Like, I didn't know I had this side to my personality.

Do I go with it? A lot of the subject material would have to do with death. I almost kind of worry how people could take it. I don't want anyone to hurt themselves after having read it :D
Writing is cathartic. Get it off your chest, put it aside for a few months, then go back over it with a fresh eye and decide what to do with it. You won't have harmed anybody, including yourself. Better out than in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts