Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because I've noted this now and again; for example:

1. I am just finishing THE REDBREAST by Jo Nesbo (which I complained about in another thread but which finally got exciting).  It focuses on Detective Harry Hole, a policeman in Oslo, Norway.  In this book, Hole is hunting for a man in Oslo who might be about to commit an act of terrorism.  The man is possibly a Neo-Nazi, is certainly motivated by hatred, and is most likely working alone. 

I have not yet gotten to the ending, but this weekend brought acts of terrorism in Oslo, a place that is being called "generally peaceful" and where policemen reportedly don't even carry guns when they are on foot patrol. It felt disorienting, since we like to think these things are restricted to fiction, but here was something that was a tragic echo of the fiction I was reading.

2. In a similar example, I was teaching Margaret Atwood's novel THE HANDMAID'S TALE on September 11, 2001.  I had a first period English class and I had written the date on the board at eight o'clock (just before the first plane hit the WTC) and we had launched into a discussion of the previous nights' reading.  We were discussing the terrorists in the novel (a dystopian look at the world, especially for women), and how the people in power began with acts of violence in an attempt to limit freedoms.  In the novel, the terrorists machine-gun the president and everyone in Congress.  Some of the students were questioning the notion of violence on this scale (if it would really happen, what could motivate it) when the teacher across the hall came to my door and asked if she could speak to me.  Her face was white, and she whispered to me about the attacks on the Pentagon and on the Twin Towers.  It felt unreal, especially because of the conversation we'd been having.  She told me not to tell my students until a general announcement was made on the PA.  I had to go back in and act as though nothing had happened.

Later one of my students was angry with me because I had, in a rare moment, written the date on the board.  "Why did you write the date?" she asked.  "You never write the date!"  It was as though she felt I had caused the violence, or at least anticipated it, by naming the day.

But everything can feel disorienting when the details of fiction find parallels (good or bad) in real life.

Have you ever read a book that had surprising similarities to something happening in the world?

Julia

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Oh, yes. Some weirdness has happened to me twice before, and both times were when I was reading Stephen King's The Stand.

The first time I read The Stand was back in the 1980s, and the dates I read the book matched up exactly with the dates at the beginning of each chapter.

In the early 1990s I read The Stand again because there was a new, longer version released. And again, the dates of my reading matched up perfectly with the new updated dates at the beginning of each chapter.

Still strikes me as eerie. Sure, I was reading the books not too long after release dates, so some synchronicity is to be expected, but that close? Literally day by day?

·
Registered
170 Posts
All the time, the other day I was reading a book and realized that I had prepared my breakfast the same way the character in the book had. It was very weird. Although weird in a normal way. Not as big as yours.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ty, that's really interesting!  I'll have to ask my husband if he's ever read THE STAND--he's a huge King fan.  That would be a freaky occurrence!

John, that's pretty cool, especially if the breakfast was a very particular sort of recipe.

Julia

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow, that's eerie about 9/11 and Oslo.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
At the beginning of this year, we were trying to decide if we should move to a house that had become available in Woodstock.  My husband and myself were really undecided and worried and going back and forth about it. Should we move? No! Yes! Maybe!

I was reading Deon Meyer's book "Spoor" at the time.  It's about a government spy agency who are trying to keep track of a extremist terrorist organisation.  In the book, the terrorists have a secret meeting place where their big boss lives, and where they meet.  The government find this out and set up a "spy house" across the road, where they install a lot of surveillance equipment to keep an eye on the terrorists across the street.

Well, lo and behold, the "spy" house is the exact same house we were trying to decide if we should move to.  The address is mentioned, the suburb, street and the street number and the colour of the walls and the gate. And the "terrorist hangout" across the road is the same as well.  Although in reality it is a group of very friendly people who live there, nothing dodgy about them at all :)

We eventually decided to move after all, so we are living in this house now.  It was such a strange feeling, to be so focused on the house, and then to find it in the book I'm reading.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Now that you mention it... just today I was kidnapped and seduced by a hunky highlander. Which was funny because I was just reading about that same situation in a book not too long ago. :D

I notice that when I'm reading non-fiction, the book topic I'm reading about tends to come up in random conversation. As in, someone else will mention it and I go "It's funny you mentioned that..." I can never tell if it's just because I'm more sensitive to the topic or it's just some strange coincidence.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine is a bit silly. I was reading an extremely scary book based on actual events. I think it was 'The Haunting' or something similar. (I was a teenager at the time) I got to a point in the story where one of the main characters heard whispers coming from within the walls. At that exact same moment a song by Cheap Trick came on. I was so engrossed in the book, I forgot I even had a tape (I was a teenager) on. The song begins with a whole bunch of whispering. I heard that at the same time I read the passage in the book. I nearly jumped out of my skin and it took me a good few seconds to realise where the whispers came from.

Not exactly what you are talking about, but I was keen to tell the story.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something I wrote sort of came true. It was a bit about some cavemen sitting around a fire stroking a mink then about a week later I was around a fire with some friends and my friend came who had a mink coat and somebody started stroking it. Though we weren't cavemen, we were sort of acting like it as we were merry on the finest wine in all of the house.

This thread also reminds me of when Philip K. Dick wrote Flow My Tears The Policeman Said and then his real-life parallel of that passage. The article about it is here if you're interested

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
A little background detail:  My hometown is Coloma, Michigan.

I'm reading a book right now that freaked me out at first because the main character is a gay guy named Jeff from Coloma.  I was surprised but my partner found it completely boring when I shared this little tidbit  ....  :-\

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Geoffrey said:
A little background detail: My hometown is Coloma, Michigan.

I'm reading a book right now that freaked me out at first because the main character is a gay guy named Jeff from Coloma. I was surprised but my partner found it completely boring when I shared this little tidbit .... :-\
;D I suppose you have to hope that book has a happy ending!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are all so interesting!  The Spy House thing is a particularly odd coincidence.

Jeff, my grandparents had a home in Coloma, Michigan for fifty years.  They have passed away, but we still have a house and 20 acres out there that we visit all the time!

Julia

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was actually on the john one morning (while my girlfriend was still asleep in bed) when I first that scene in Ulysses when Leo Bloom does his business in an outhouse while Molly is still asleep. Though it must be said, the toilet is where I do a lot of my best reading, so it doesn't seem like that big of a coincidence.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Julia444 said:
Ty, that's really interesting! I'll have to ask my husband if he's ever read THE STAND--he's a huge King fan. That would be a freaky occurrence!

John, that's pretty cool, especially if the breakfast was a very particular sort of recipe.

Julia
It was actually french toast, eggs benedict, and 3 slices of crispy bacon. :p

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Nothing too remarkable, but yrs ago, I was reading Stephen King and a song mentioned in the story...reading it right then....came on the radio. It happened a few times and kinda creeped me out  :)

I cant remember it happening with any other author but not that many authors use(d) rock songs in their stories...plus I was reading alot of sci-fi at the time and even now, except for crime/mysteries, I dont read that much contemporary stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Julia444 said:
These are all so interesting! The Spy House thing is a particularly odd coincidence.

Jeff, my grandparents had a home in Coloma, Michigan for fifty years. They have passed away, but we still have a house and 20 acres out there that we visit all the time!

Julia
Wow. Small world. My father still lives there in the house I grew up in on Paw Paw Lake Road .... I don't get back as often as I should but I have a very warm spot in my heart for that area. I lived there only from about 1976 to 1984 but it's the place we lived in longest as a kid and where I consider myself from .....

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The only instance that comes to mind is back in high school, we had to read Catcher in the Rye. There's a part in that book where Holden is in a bathroom, feels sick to his stomach, then passes out as he tries to leave, but feels much better afterwards. After reading that part, I woke up that night with a bad stomachache, went to the bathroom but still felt awful, then walked back to my bedroom. I suddenly got dizzy and passed out on the floor, but felt SO much better when I woke back up.

Just a weird coincidence, but I immediately thought of Holden after it happened. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can't think of specific examples atm, but I do have "hmm" moments when I read things sometimes. Always weird when it lines up. It's like when you learn about something new and you begin to notice it EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like those moments when you read a word or phrase in your book, then look up and the same word or phrase is being said on television, or by someone in the room?  Those coincidences happen more than I'd like.  :)

Julia

1 - 20 of 21 Posts