Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was poking around last night and found a file sharing site with On/Off listed as a free download. That was a first! Anyone else ever seen this with one of their books? Hopefully this means people actually want to read it enough to dodge that 99 cent price tag!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Back in February, some individual actually took one of my free stories and uploaded it to Amazon for $.99. Drove me bonkers and took me days to get Amazon to shut it down. Luckily, the same person did it with over a hundred free e-books, so it eventually got involved en mass. I call this a case of super pirating: charging something for that which is free.

I've also had random sites put up my free stories, but that doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
My most successful short romance (non-erotic) was pirated in December. It didn't seem to hurt sales, but I felt honour-bound to report it to my publisher, since it was their book in a manner of speaking, and I guess they took care of it.

But, honestly, I was just happy someone was reading it. I figure in my position, pirating might hurt short-term sales, but might lead to good word-of-mouth down the road.

·
Registered
869 Posts
All of my free short stories are available on torrent sites, with "Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend" on the most.

"Test Pilot", one of my shorts, was pirated and sold on Amazon for a short while.  Mark at Smashwords was great with helping to get Amazon to take it down.

I haven't seen my novels on any yet.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
I have no idea how to even check. Though, I admit that I'd be a little tickled if I was. I'd report it to my publisher, obviously, and would never shed a tear if they were shut down, put in jail, or made to listen to Celine Dion for the rest of their lives.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
I have no idea how to even check. Though, I admit that I'd be a little tickled if I was. I'd report it to my publisher, obviously, and would never shed a tear if they were shut down, put in jail, or made to listen to Celine Dion for the rest of their lives.
A google search with the name of your book in quotes is the best way to search. You'll probably have to go through a lot of pages. As far as making them listen to Celine Dion, they're pirates, not terrorists. jeez.

Be careful when clicking on links. They're not all torrents, some of them are phishing sites or virus sites.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ROMANCE NOVEL is available for download on some Mexican travel site. I have no idea how to take it down and am wondering if it's translated in Spanish. Hmmm. I've had other novels, under a different pen-name, pirated. My publishing house took care of it. PJ

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
kookoo88 said:
A google search with the name of your book in quotes is the best way to search. You'll probably have to go through a lot of pages. As far as making them listen to Celine Dion, they're pirates, not terrorists. jeez.
There's about 15 pages of Google of just my book reviews and interviews. I'm far too lazy to do that. Perhaps I should outsource this task to one of my step-children who are currently trying to find ways to earn back their allowance? ;)

Would making them listen to Shania Twain be more acceptable?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Krista D. Ball said:
There's about 15 pages of Google of just my book reviews and interviews. I'm far too lazy to do that. Perhaps I should outsource this task to one of my step-children who are currently trying to find ways to earn back their allowance? ;)

Would making them listen to Shania Twain be more acceptable?
That's an excellent task for the kids! I just checked "Blue Haired" again and I have torrent sites on the second, third and fourth pages as well as most others, so there's a good chance it's just not on there.

And I happen to like Shania Twain! :p She's hot and has a beautiful voice and she's hot . . . did I say that twice? Make them listen to Miley Cyrus. Or worse, her dad.

·
Registered
982 Posts
kookoo88 said:
That's an excellent task for the kids! I just checked "Blue Haired" again and I have torrent sites on the second, third and fourth pages as well as most others, so there's a good chance it's just not on there.

And I happen to like Shania Twain! :p She's hot and has a beautiful voice and she's hot . . . did I say that twice? Make them listen to Miley Cyrus. Or worse, her dad.
I thought we established that they were pirates, not terrorists.

Justin Bieber would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Not that I'm aware, and the last time I checked was months ago.  Things could've changed, though.  Guess I should check again soon. 

I do have a free book out I wouldn't mind being pirated--it's free and I mostly use it to introduce people to my writing. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, my first thought was, "Cool."

My next thought was, "They better pay for the second one."

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had google alerts point me towards torrents..  As annoying as it is, if a few get away that way it's not much different than doing a give away, so I wont loose sleep over it. ::)

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Mine is showing up in odd places.  I don't pretend to understand the internet so I have no idea what it all means.  But The Pet Psychic book shows up when I google it on weird sites.  Vacuum cleaners and insurance...places where a pet book wouldn't normally be.  I have no idea what it is doing there.  It also kept showing up under some guys name, but when I would click on the site, it had a message his account has been closed or banned.    I don't know if people are pirating it or not...but I really don't mind if someone gets it free.  Just hope they enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Last year, I discovered someone had taken my free ebook Amulet and was selling it on an ebay-like website in England.  I contacted the site, and let them know I held the copyright, and they took it down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, all my books and stories have been pirated. Annoying, upsetting and I expect losing me money but not all who download illegally would have bought the books so it's impossible to quantify. It's time consuming to chase every one of these sites and some don't listen anyway. I think it's particularly annoying if your book isn't expensive - sadly some of mine are - because authors make little enough anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts