Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess self-doubt is a better term.  :)  I've been thinking about my latest novel, literally 4 -5 pages away from being done.  Doubt creeps in, is it any good?  Oh man, that scene might not be as good as I thought.  The characters didn't come off right.

Then I read some again, and it once again is a good novel.

Then the process starts all over again.  :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I always feel like a hack. I've done everything they've said to do. I've written over a million words. I've studied the works of other people. I've been involved in a writer's group (which I heartily recommend that did more to improve my writing than almost anything else I did).

Despite all of this, I still feel like a hack.

I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily, though. It means that I'm still trying to learn and improve my craft.

I'll be a "good" writer once I'm dead. ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
LOL!!! This us the way it works with writers I think - par for the course. :) I'm nearly at the end of this WIP and I had the hardest time writing my pre-plotted ending because omg it was pure s#*t!! I finally get it out and, wow, it's actually as neat as I'd imagined.

Rinse - Repeat: for the entire novel.

So no, you're definitely not alone. I'm getting ready to tackle revisions and, egads, that's a whole new can of worms.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You're not alone. I feel like this every time I write, regardless of any other considerations.

The thing for me is that now that I've got one done, I can't NOT write. I picture it like a large dam holding back a river. For years and years, the dam stood strong and tall. Then, age took it's toll, and a small hole became a bigger one, then a crack, and soon a torrent was pouring out of a massive hole in the dam.

Now the rest of the water knows it can get out - and it's not gonna wait around.

Yes, I know I anthropomorphized water; it's been a hellish week already and I'm tired.  :p

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
All the time.  I still feel that way about books I wrote, re-wrote, edited and then published.  I still wonder if I should have gone the supernatural route in one book...  I worry about a scene in another.  I make crazy plans to do rewrites and release new editions of books I wrote 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Especially when I'm away from it. Once I'm writing it feels fine, so it helps to keep my nose in the work--though I can only to do that for so many hours a day.

Part of the problem is that the first version I released wasn't good enough, and now I know that. I couldn't see it at the time, of course. Now I've put in so much work revising things (thanks to brilliant editors and beta readers) that I feel good about the work, and that's one benefit of taking awhile to rework a book. You don't have that nagging feeling that you're not doing all you can to improve it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
mikelewis said:
I usually get a visit from the sh**-bird about 1/3rd of the way through a first draft and then 2/3rds of way.

You know, that little bird that sits on your shoulder while you are writing and goes "this is sh**, sh** sh**!"... :)

Mike
Me too ;D

·
Registered
854 Posts
I know the feeling.

It's taken over five years to complete my WIP (being professionally edited now).  There were times when I thought I'd never finish the thing; other times, I had doubts about what I'd written.  "It's not good enough!" the voice says.  "You suck."  "Why would anyone want to read your book when they could just pick up someone else's work which would be so much better?"  The voice of doubt goes on and on about my writing being a waste of time.  But I kept going until I reached the finish line.

We all doubt our abilities at times, but usually that doubt arises just as we're about to reach the end.  The closer we get to reaching our goals, the more doubt we have and the scarier things become.  But we must not give in.  We must keep going.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. RAD said:
We all doubt our abilities at times, but usually that doubt arises just as we're about to reach the end. The closer we get to reaching our goals, the more doubt we have and the scarier things become. But we must not give in. We must keep going.
Ah, this sums it up perfectly. I tore through this latest book. Record time in pounding it out. First two took a period of many, many years. This third one, mere months. But, right at the end, the "eh, is this any good?" vibes are coming.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I'm so happy to know I'm in such good company. :)

I've been doing re-writes this morning and I believe the phrase: "Wow, Miller...you really stink. On ice," may have escaped my lips a few times.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My WIP is exciting, a deftly told story by a master wordsmith.  No, wait, who I am kidding?  It sounds like a second grader is writing the dialogue. My work is derivative.  Immature. 

Gotta go, it's time to write some more.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Glenn Bullion said:
I guess self-doubt is a better term. :) I've been thinking about my latest novel, literally 4 -5 pages away from being done. Doubt creeps in, is it any good? Oh man, that scene might not be as good as I thought. The characters didn't come off right.

Then the process starts all over again. :)
Oh, yes. It's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Glenn Bullion said:
I guess self-doubt is a better term. :) I've been thinking about my latest novel, literally 4 -5 pages away from being done. Doubt creeps in, is it any good? Oh man, that scene might not be as good as I thought. The characters didn't come off right.

Then the process starts all over again. :)
You'd be an arrogant SOB if you didn't, or a genius perhaps?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts