Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I am reading I also listen to music, and sometimes the mood of the music that happens to be on fits the mood of the passage I am reading and it is amazing. I have always wondered if there was ever a way to make a soundtrack for a book? Ever since I was a kid. I knew it would be impossible, even if you made a separate CD meant to be played along with a book you could never predict how long it would take each person to read the pages, and the switch in background noise wouldn't be right. But now that E-readers are taking off could this be in the future? Are there other innovations in books that could be around the corner. What do you all think? Is there anything you would like to see? Or does the whole idea sound terrible to you, like books as we know it could be cease to exist?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Al Past has a soundtrack for his Distant Cousin books. . .well, at least a theme song. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Al Past has a soundtrack for his Distant Cousin books. . .well, at least a theme song. . . .

Ann
really? WOW - how, where, when ?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It could be done, certain passages could trigger a song. You could have it loop until they reached the next change, which could get annoying, or just fade as it comes to an end and pick up again when you hit the next track. That would be very cool. It could be an optional additional purchase, sound track for a couple extra bucks. I have a few books I would do that for. Especially the Kitty Norville books which the author actually has a playlist for at the beginning of the book.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think given that the technology is going to evolve, books will evolve in parallel.  Creative people like to push the boundaries.  The boundaries will expand.  I just hope that there will always be just books, ie text.  There is something very special about written communication, which itself is a 'new' technology for the human species if you take the long view. 

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think that in terms of technology it would be rather easy to develop this, but there are going to be people who don't want it as well. Sometimes I feel like music, sometimes I don't, but providing it's a user option, that would be fine.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It could be an addition you could buy with the book. Of course, there would be copywrite issues, but that would be easy for Amazon! Then the authors could pick their own music.
Someone needs to pitch this whole idea.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Robert Fulghum's latest book, Third Wish, is sold with a soundtrack already in both DTB & Kindle form:

One interesting note from an article I read a few weeks ago talked about the example of a Louis Armstrong biography, with his songs embedded into it. We're not far off from that being a reality.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Jeff said:
I don't know whether to be embarrassed about that theme song or not. The music one imagines with a story, as well as the appearance of the characters, is pretty much the creation of the reader, and a matter of individual taste, or at least so it seems to me. That particular bit of music just struck me as resonating with the story somehow--I can't even say how. Someone else might well be puzzled by it, and another person might have entirely different music in mind. And all would be appropriate to that reader. I might should have kept it to myself....

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
BrassMan said:
I don't know whether to be embarrassed about that theme song or not. The music one imagines with a story, as well as the appearance of the characters, is pretty much the creation of the reader, and a matter of individual taste, or at least so it seems to me. That particular bit of music just struck me as resonating with the story somehow--I can't even say how. Someone else might well be puzzled by it, and another person might have entirely different music in mind. And all would be appropriate to that reader. I might should have kept it to myself....
Al - having read Distant Cousin twice, which means absolutely nothing at all, I think the music fits perfectly! Nice job!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Why would you be embarrassed Al? I loved it and thought it absolutely fit the story. I have it on my desk top and have listened to it several times. Great books, great theme song!  :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That's very good to know, and thank you for the feedback. Thanks also to Anju, who did me far too much honor by guessing that I composed it. I did not (alas). It's by Johann Kapsberger (1580-1651), from a collection of pieces for the lute and the chitarrone. It's called "Canario," and this version is played on a theorbo, a sort of bass lute.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Jeff said:
Yikes. I am very sorry, Al. I thought you were sharing this with everyone. Please accept my apology.
None needed, Jeff! I am sharing this with everyone! And let me add, thanks to you too, for providing the server on which it is stored!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Jeff said:
Yikes. I am very sorry, Al. I thought you were sharing this with everyone. Please accept my apology.
I think Linda would have posted the link if you had not - go eat some pie and calm down ;) don't worry :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts