1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Moses has been laying the groundwork so carefully and for so long geologist are studying the strata.

Kidding!

He's been insanely methodical and painstaking in his planning. I can't wait to read the darn thing!

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just downloaded the novella (finally) the other day.

But seeing as the novel is out in a week or so, I think I'll just wait for that.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Hey, that's me!

Thanks, man. ;D

There's a lot of discussion in the comments, too.

Monique, you may be confusing "insanely methodical and painstaking in his planning" with "types four words per minute" and "didn't want to publish a steaming turd." Hehe.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I spend a lot of time reading about indie e-book promotion, and I’ve gotta say that on paper (pixels?) anyway, this is one of the more ingenious ideas I’ve come across. Thanks for sharing, Moses, and good luck!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Mike, thanks very much. It was a risky idea, but luckily it's worked out okay. The tricky part was carving out an excerpt that completed a certain major story arc while leaving people hungry for more. I was worried about getting a lot of reviews complaining how I'd left people hanging (at least I wasn't obnoxious about where I ended it, though), but for the most part that hasn't happened. I have gotten a number of reviews, though, that said the novella would've been a 5 if it weren't for the fact that it's only an introduction to the story. So one major risk is that your review average on an excerpt like this will definitely be lower than it would otherwise be (with a full story). I guess that means that whenever you release an excerpt like this, you need to do your very best with it and really try to make a strong impression. Thanks for reading the post, and thanks very much for your positive energy!

dgaughran said:
Hey Moses,

Four words in a minute isn't bad as long as they are the right words.

;D

Dave
No comment, as I may resemble this remark.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
David just published part 2 of this 'story' on his blog. After having my novel out for a month, we talked about whether the free novella strategy seems to have worked.

Here's the conclusion from the post, although earlier in the post I also discussed why the results seem mixed:

Since this post is mostly about whether or not my free novella marketing strategy was successful, I'll summarize my thoughts. I think the free novella helped me to generate early buzz about me and my work-no doubt. I think it's helping me to sell some books right out of the gate-no doubt. I think the main risk to this strategy is that if the free work isn't good enough, you could be turning away readers before your book even comes out.

But here's what I think I've learned about the Most Important Thing(TM): All the promotion in the world can only do so much for a subpar book. Promoting a book is hard work. The only thing that will carry your books for years and years is good word of mouth.

If you don't work on your books until they are just about as good as you can possibly make them, you might get some good sales for a short period of time, but you're unlikely to continue to sell books after you burn out on promoting them.

The Most Important Thing(TM) is to write a book that's going to take people on a ride that is so thrilling that you won't have to spend all of your time doing book promotion. Instead, you want to be able to move on to writing the next book in your series and let happy readers become your voluntary sales force. That's my goal.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Solid advice, Moses.  Lucky for me I type more than 4 words/minute.  But I'm still not rushing out my next book.  Best bet is to take the necessary time and put out a strong product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts