Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it. One demotivating review too many. I'm no longer allowed to check my sales, rank, or reviews (for the next week and a half, at least).

Friends and family and KBers have made excellent arguments as to why I shouldn't just start believing that I published a terrible book that I should be ashamed of, but all of the negativity (from people who I can safely say are not my intended audience) is taking its toll. I'm having trouble writing. That's not acceptable.

While I hide under my bed, I comfort myself with the following platitude: if some people HATE my book, and the others seem to LOVE it, I'm doing it right.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
wolfrom said:
That's it. One demotivating review too many. I'm no longer allowed to check my sales, rank, or reviews (for the next week and a half, at least).

Friends and family and KBers have made excellent arguments as to why I shouldn't just start believing that I published a terrible book that I should be ashamed of, but all of the negativity (from people who I can safely say are not my intended audience) is taking its toll. I'm having trouble writing. That's not acceptable.

While I hide under my bed, I comfort myself with the following platitude: if some people HATE my book, and the others seem to LOVE it, I'm doing it right.
Reading is a matter of taste.

Keep your chin up, and your head down.

Just write. ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It's amazing how badly it screws with your head. I try not to read them over there and I avoid GR at all cost. I know how you feel.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
There must be something in the air lately. I wanted to start a thread for all the people rejected by Bookbub because they don't have enough reviews or their reviews suck or write apparently in the wrong genre or it's just the wrong day of the month or...
There're so many thing we can barely control, the only thing that matters is to keep writing. Sending you a virtual glass of red. Cheers, you are not alone :)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I'm with the people who can't figure out why The Great Gatsby is so great. I also don't know why Citizen Caine is so admired. Every time I try to watch that movie I fall asleep. Somethin' about a sled.

Anyway, what I can't figure out is how the dickens you've sold that many books, having published in February, and how you got such fantastic rankings!
And you worry about a few bad reviews? Pshaw! (or however you spell that)

I hear readers of apocalypse stories are a picky bunch, anyway.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
momilp said:
There must be something in the air lately. I wanted to start a thread for all the people rejected by Bookbub because they don't have enough reviews or their reviews suck or write apparently in the wrong genre or it's just the wrong day of the month or...
They told me to go away, too. I think having enthused here about what a great vehicle Bookbub is has severely backfired, because now they're overwhelmed with requests for ad space. Not so much because there is an issue with the title.
I'm just going to keep bugging them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It looks like you're making plenty of sales. That has to be worth something. C'mon, the reviewer who said you were Canadian - well, I can see why that would sting (LOL)... but c'mon.

I'm in Texas - wrote an apocalyptic book that takes place in Texas - and have had a reviewer say I'm not good at portraying Texans because I didn't use enough contractions. At least Y'all (working on Texas contractions) weren't disowned.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Quiss said:
Anyway, what I can't figure out is how the dickens you've sold that many books, having published in February, and how you got such fantastic rankings!
And you worry about a few bad reviews? Pshaw! (or however you spell that)
I'd take plenty of bad reviews to have sold anywhere near that.

Reviews do nothing to me. Cash I can eat with.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Hey, Coyote is sitting at around 3,500 overall, and one of the connected short stories is doing quite well also. According to your signature, you've sold 1600 books so far this year.

In case the above doesn't make my point for me: you're doing great. :)

Don't worry about the reviews. People are voting with their pocketbooks, even if they can't be bothered to review.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
MLKatz said:
It looks like you're making plenty of sales. That has to be worth something. C'mon, the reviewer who said you were Canadian - well, I can see why that would sting (LOL)... but c'mon.

I'm in Texas - wrote an apocalyptic book that takes place in Texas - and have had a reviewer say I'm not good at portraying Texas because I didn't use enough contractions. At least Y'all (working on Texas contractions) weren't disowned.
;D lol. Ikr? I had someone tell me that I'm not a NYer, know nothing about NY or art or church. I'm a native NYer who went to seminary (aka church school) and was a professional artist, but that's okay. And guess what? I live in Texas now! I say hee haw so funny, people crack up. I pretty much say it like that. HE HAW. :) Now, if they were like, holly can't hee yah worth a damn, I'd have to agree with that. :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Plus, you know your covers rock, right? Like they're so cool that I'm jealous. I try not to say anything, but OMG, I <3 THEM!

·
Registered
440 Posts
holly w. said:
;D lol. Ikr? I had someone tell me that I'm not a NYer, know nothing about NY or art or church. I'm a native NYer who went to seminary (aka church school) and was a professional artist, but that's okay. And guess what? I live in Texas now! I say hee haw so funny, people crack up. I pretty much say it like that. HE HAW. :) Now, if they were like, holly can't hee yah worth a d*mn, I'd have to agree with that. :)
Are you sure you don't mean Yee Haw, and not Hee Haw? If you write a book about Texas, you'd better ask somebody else to check your dialog for the proper Texas dialect. In fact, I think I have a reviewer I can hook you up with - no wait - that would be a BAD idea. I don't really know anybody who says that. ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reviews are weird and unpredictable and there are plenty of trolls around so I'd just ignore them, for what it's worth. There have always and will always be random 'haters' out there and if you're making sales and getting some positive reviews then obviously other people like it. Find more of those people.

As for Gatsby getting the most one-star reviews, I can see why it would not appeal to some. Being required reading in schools could engender some ill will toward the book and the lack of sparkling vampires might also make it less exciting for the sparkly set, or maybe it's simply a matter of some people preferring white wine or rosé instead of red. Everyone has their flavor, for whatever reason. Whatever the case, it's one of my favorite books and I'm pretty sure I gave it 5 stars so that cancels out someone's one star rating. My slavish love of the book against someone else hating it and, once again, there is balance in the universe. No doubt someone else will love love love your book to the point of being weird about it and that kind of cancels out someone else who doesn't like it. :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
MLKatz said:
Are you sure you don't mean Yee Haw, and not Hee Haw? If you write a book about Texas, you'd better ask somebody else to check your dialog for the proper Texas dialect. In fact, I think I have a reviewer I can hook you up with - no wait - that would be a BAD idea. I don't really know anybody who says that. ;D
lol. nah, i write about new york or displaced new yorkers in texas that say hee haw wrong. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
As a buyer, I no longer trust 5 star reviews, so I rarely read them. I usually start at the 1's and 2's and work my way up. On a book, unless the reviewer is complaining of typos, poor grammar, and bad formatting I would never not buy something based on them. People's opinions just vary way too much to worry about it. Usually the stories, movies, albums, etc, people I hate I tend to love. I'm a rebel like that  ;D

Remember, you're writing for yourself and your fans. You can't please everyone, and you'll drive yourself crazy trying. And congrats on your many sales. Reviews mean even less compared to that  ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wolfrom,

Here's what I do when the "critics" pluck my last nerve:

I put on Frank Sinatra singing "That's Life", and when it comes to this line, I sing along at the top of my lungs:

"That's life, and as funny as it may seem,
Some people get their kicks, stompin' on a dream."

The line is about 40 seconds into this video if you want to fast-forward and get on with your life, although I think the whole thing is good medicine if you're feeling down and out. You don't have to be a Sinatra fan; I'm not, but this never fails for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yea, I was just about to remark that almost every book I see these days are 4 and 5 stars. The rating system has become pretty meaningless to me (unless, of course, I have the 5 star average). I'd rather see a thoroughly written review to determine whether I want to buy or not, and if that person gave the book 3 stars, I'd consider that a much better recommendation that a generic 5 star review (or a 1 star review written by a Cro-Magnon).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts