Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am an experienced, affordable editor and proofreader. I've been working with indie writers for several years in genres as diverse as sci-fi, fantasy, thriller, mystery, romance, and self-help.

As a former journalist, I am acquainted with the manuals of style and the high standards of traditional publishing — but as an English Literature graduate, I know how to preserve the voice and style of an author.

See the full testimonials below, and please check the latest post for updates as to my availability.

PROMOTIONAL "DISCOVERY" RATES:

- Copy/line editing: 0.004/w

- Developmental editing: 0.004/w

- Proofreading: 0.002/w

If you want to book me:

• Send me an email at [email protected];
  • Mention your genre, book length (in number of words), and the deadline for the proofread or edit;
  • If you are booking a copy/line edit, I shall ask you for a 2,000-word excerpt and will create a sample of my work.

More info about me on my website: www.cbmoore-editor.com

You can also get there by clicking my banner.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just popping in to say that you can definitely trust C.B. Moore with your books.
I often hear authors saying there are no good affordable editors, but it's not true. Here's a great example  :) Bookmark it for your future needs.

·
Administrator
10,147 Posts
Greetings, C.B. Moore! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post.

You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here and can be rigorous.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Becca
KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't want to say I'm jealous, but how in the world did you do all that and still manage to look 25. 

All your rates look great with the exception of your beta reading.  You will find that many poeple are looking for beta readers, myself included.

·
Registered
484 Posts
C.B. Moore said:
Thanks about the age thing. It's true that I'm not very wrinkly, but time's a bit of a [illegitimate person] anyway... :eek:

How much would you pay for a beta reader?
The ranges I've seen from super cheap (~50) to average (~80) to above average (~180) for an 80k book in cost per 1k words from $1-2. There are a few beta readers that post around here if you want to compare price ranges. For myself personally, I would be fine anywhere between 80-180 range. Some people do a hybrid developmental edit and beta read so they charge more, but your description sounded like a straight beta read.

·
Registered
283 Posts
alexabooks said:
Just popping in to say that you can definitely trust C.B. Moore with your books.
I often hear authors saying there are no good affordable editors, but it's not true. Here's a great example :) Bookmark it for your future needs.
I would assume she didn't read your books since you are a proof reader yourself. How did you come to know and vouch for her professionally?

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few months ago, I was struggling with my latest book. Something was not right. When I submitted the manuscript to Cee, she immediately zeroed in on what was wrong.  There was a jarring difference in the tone between the beginning of the book and the rest of the story.

I’d failed to recognize how much feel of the tale had evolved during the course of my work on it. Once Cee pointed out the disconnect, it became glaringly obvious to me. I dove in with some quick beginning-few-chapters surgery, and the book was suddenly much stronger and more compelling.

Since then, the book was published. I’ve gotten uniformly positive reviews, and am very grateful to Cee for being able to quickly identify the former problems with the book, and suggest precise and workable solutions to those problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all, I just wanted to drop in to leave a testimonial for anyone considering hiring CB Moore as an editor... DO IT! I just hired her for a copy edit and I am extremely pleased with the results. She provided just the amount of polish I was looking for in order to take my manuscript to the next level, all while keeping my specific voice in mind. She also left a few comments on the plot that were not included in what I paid for, but very much appreciated (I ended up shifting a scene at the end of my book because of this). The edit included not only in-manuscript comments/critiques, but also a highly extensive report with detailed explanations of her suggestions/changes, which I appreciated. I highly recommend her services and found my experience to be well worth the money!

On a little side note, before hiring CB Moore, I had just come off an experience of hiring a different editor through kboards who ghosted me after I provided a down payment. It took weeks for me to finally get a response and to get my money back. After that experience, I was especially thrilled with how professional, communicative, and prompt CB Moore was while working with me.

G

·
KDavis said:
On a little side note, before hiring CB Moore, I had just come off an experience of hiring a different editor through kboards who ghosted me after I provided a down payment. It took weeks for me to finally get a response and to get my money back. After that experience, I was especially thrilled with how professional, communicative, and prompt CB Moore was while working with me.
I wonder if it was the same editor that ghosted my friend at the last minute when her manuscript was due to be returned? I wanted to call him out but my friend told me to forget about it.
Yes, this person advertise on this board.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just to add a shout out to CB, she did an awesome job with the proofreading for my book 'The Pursuit of Truth', catching over 500 corrections including a few repeated words and incorrect grammar. Truly went beyond the call of duty for this one! Highly recommend and I already have her booked in for the next in the series.

·
Registered
423 Posts
C.B. Moore said:
You definitely shouldn't hire someone who leaves $100 in a novel or work of fiction, since that amount should be spelled out.
She scrolled slowly through the website on the dark web, stopping on a post that read "I'll beat someone up for $100."

That's correct in a novel, but 100$ is correct nowhere.

·
Registered
171 Posts
CB. Moore just did a proofread for a second book of mine and I have to say she's great value for money. She proofread my new novel 'The Way the World Ends', which I am republishing. It had already been edited twice and proofread once, but she still managed to find over a thousand corrections to greatly improve the book! Many were typos, but many more were additional errors such as repeated words (my personal demon) and incorrect sentence structures. Will certainly be keeping her on my list and using her again in the future!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Cee recently edited one of my books, and I have to stay, she did a sterling job of tidying up and tightening up my often unruly prose. For the price she charged me, she went above and beyond in terms of the work she put in. All in all, I was more than happy with the end result, and I'm happy to recommend Cee to anyone in need of a good editor who is not only reasonable as far as rates go, but does a good, professional job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say that Cee does an excellent job. The effort she puts in to clarify, yet preserve your style of writing goes above and beyond!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi KBoards. I've been checking this site on and off for some time now but never registered before. However, I just registered so that I could leave some feedback that might help others considering this editor...who I found on this site. 

So...I recently hired CB Moore to help bring my first book up to a professional level, and specifically booked her to perform copy and line editing on my manuscript.

I found her to be true professional - thorough and conscientious with an expert level knowledge of the intricacies of editing, writing and the expectations of today's reading market.

Beyond the actual "physical" editing, CB Moore also provided a lot of very good and insightful feedback regarding characters, scenes, situations, dramatic structure and the general story.

If you hire CB Moore, please understand that you are not just hiring a copy/line editor, you are creating a team that will help you bring the best version of your book to market.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts