Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I always loked at blogs as kind of a diary. At least, that's what mine always were. I mean, I can honestly say I have never visited the blog of any author I read. I've been to Konrath's, but that's not to read about his writing, and it hasn't translated into me buying any of his books.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Most writers blog to other writers--craft posts, things like that. And while writers are readers too (or should be), most blogs aren't really geared toward selling to readers. They may think they are, but...

I read a lot of author blogs, but I don't think I've ever bought one of their books because of it.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If people are looking for a reason not to blog, then they shouldn't do it. But, it does work. Speaking as a reader, I love reading the blogs of my favorite authors and have bought many books directly from links on the blogs, of the author and others mentioned on the blog. Blogging works really well for my business, so it makes sense that it could work for authors too, depending on how its done. 

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just started a blog as another way to connect with my readers. Tweets just get lost in the shuffle and thanks to the Facebook algorithms, not everyone sees my posts there.

Plus, I actually enjoy reading the blogs of authors I like. So I figure that if I like reading theirs, then why shouldn't fans of my book enjoy reading mine? But it's also not something I'm going to spend a lot of time on. Fifteen minutes here and there to put up a couple of blog posts a week will probably be about it for me. I'd rather spend my time writing!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I see her point, especially as most of us have limited time that should be spent actually writing.  I blog about all sorts of stuff unrelated to writing though...one of my most successful posts (I use that term very loosely) had to do with a movie review.  I figure, eventually, I'll have more than a handful of people that wake up everyday wondering what I'm going to say next. ;)  Whether or not that will benefit my writing career, who knows?  I enjoy it either way.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i struggle with this. i started blogging about 10 years ago, and at one time had a fairly big readership of hundreds of visitors a day and a good post could generate a hundred comments.  but those numbers have dropped drastically over the years. at one time i posted daily and most of my focus was material for blog posts rather than writing my book.  i now tend to use my blog as more of a newsletter. i don't think many people go there anymore.  it can be a bit harder to keep track of readers now because i don't know if you can track the people who are reading blogs through feeds. i also link to goodreads. just today i decided to cut and paste my entire blog post to Facebook. just an experiment. i used to post the link, but i don't think people want to follow links.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
This is why both group blogs I was part of (Killer Fiction and the Fictionistas) folded. Well, the groups are still around, but we don't blog anymore.

We had great runs, but eventually came to the point that blogging (even though it was only once every 2 weeks) was taking time away from writing. We all have such limited time as it is, that we couldn't make the cost-benefit analysis work out favorably.  So now we utilize Facebook and will continue to look for other ways to promote and interact with our fans. The Killer Fiction ladies have a particularly exciting project coming up.

We haven't missed blogging in the least.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I've stopped blogging.  The exception to that is the open letter, updated occasionally, on my website letting readers know what's up with my books, promotions and other things.

Prior to launching my first book, I was big into blogging.  I blogged about everything book related and industry related I could possibly get my hands on.  I balanced this with writing because what else did I have to do?  I wasn't busy promoting any previously published works, I wasn't writing two books at once, I didn't even know if my book would ever be published and if it would be published, by whom it would be ... I was just telling one story and trying to create my name.  It was a great first step in letting people know "I am coming."

But, two books later (and two more on the docket) ... those days have passed. I'm crazy busy now and this is my full time job, yet my hours are consistently full. I just don't have the time to write out blogs anymore (and my blogging, as far as I know, never sold me a ton of books -- time vs. profit is a consideration).  

I don't visit blogs either.  My time is spent focusing on my facebook/twitter fans and friends and followers, my actual novel writing and the occasional charity opportunity as they present themselves.  

·
Registered
398 Posts
Like everything else in the Writing World, it comes down to what works for you individually.

If it's a time issue, you have the choice of spending your time blogging if you want. That time may never transfer into productive time anyhow. Maybe it's a way for the writer to decompress and spend time away from work.

It also depends on your goal with blogging. If you're attempting to use it as a marketing tool or a way to rope in more readers, and it's not working, there's no reason to keep doing it. It's just a way to clear your own head and you enjoy it, why not keep at it?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have used my blog more as a platform for displaying essays than as a real blog of daily thoughts and life.  Now, I am in a position to publish an ebook of those essays, deleting them from the blog as per Amazon's guidelines, so that I can put the ebook into Select, if I choose.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Every time I see a reference to one of Friedman's posts, it turns out to be one more proof that she's full of it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts