Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not asking a duplicate question. If so, forgive me, I am new here.

I never buy extended warrenties. Did you buy one for your K? I would love to hear your opinions.
Anne

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've never bought a 3d party warranty for any device. I won't buy one for the Kindle. As careful as I am with it, if it's broken due to my misuse I'll take Amazon up on the $180.00 replacement offer.

·
Registered
509 Posts
annelb, I don't know if it's even a stated policy. Amazon has no repair service for the Kindle, so owners who have contacted the company regarding damaged readers have been told that a replacement (returned/refurbished unit) is available for $180.00

B

·
0 Posts
No extended warranty for me, but then again I handle my K as if it is made of glass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I will stick with my no extended warrenty policy. I will be gentle with it.
Anne

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
My standard rule is to not buy extended warranties. There have been studies showing that they are a bad value for the customer; makes sense, companies are in the business to make money. That being said, if the price is right, and the circumstances are right, such as buying an electronic gift for a flighty teenage grandchild, we've bought an extended warranty. Again, the price has to be right.

I did buy a warranty for Eleanor, as I expect to travel with her a lot, and carry her a lot, and stuff happens and $50 for 3 years was still better than $180. (I'm just a poor quilter; I can't depend on selling a quilt every time I want to get something. :D) I bought the warranty through www.squaretrade.com and since I bought it within 30 days of purchase, that included abuse by me. I think it was $5 less a year to get just failure coverage. So, roughly $1.40 a month gives me some peace of mind as I haul Eleanor all over creation.

My warranty story: I bought a $20 item at Radio Shack; the clerk offered me an 1-year warranty for, I dunno, let's say $5. Still ridiculous for a $20 item. Incredulous, I said "do you mean to tell me that this thing is such a piece of *trash* that it won't last a year?" Needless to say, I declined. (I ended up returning the item as it didn't work as promised. One of the good things about Radio Shack, they have a good return policy.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would have bought it, had I known one was available.  But the only one I have found, you had to buy it within 30 days of purchase.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
We don't usually buy extended warranties either. But when my son, who at that time worked at Sears, was able to get my aunt a new TV when hers died, he was able to get an employee discount on an open box item that had been returned.  He went ahead and purchased 3 year in-home warranty and still was paying only about half what the TV originally sold for.  And it worked out great.  My aunt doesn't want to have to worry about things and when, after just a few weeks, some of the channels stopped working properly, she was able to call Sears and someone came out and checked it.  They figured out what was wrong, ordered the new part to be sent to her, and came back to fix it when she called that the part had arrived.  No charge. 

I guess the moral of the story is sometimes, for some people, they're a good deal. 

Ann

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
akw4572 said:
I would have bought it, had I known one was available. But the only one I have found, you had to buy it within 30 days of purchase.
My understanding of the SquareTrades warranty is that to get the accidental damage, you have to purchase the warranty within 30 days. To get the "device failure" kind of warranty, you can buy that after 30 days. I don't know how long after, though.

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I did buy a 3 year warranty through SquareTrade.com.  They have treated me very well in the past and having the added coverage for the Kindle gave me peace of mind.  I got the ADH (accidental damage in handling) plan which costs a bit more but was worth it to me.  You can only get the ADH coverage within the first 30 days.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I bought the extended 3 year warranty for device failure for $49, I had every intention of getting the accidental coverage but it does have to purchased within 30 days. I used Square Trade, have never used previously. I believe it was SJC that recommended it and she has used them for years with good results. I think it is a personal decision for everyone but for approx. $12 per year it was worth it to me. I like the peace of mind.

Linda

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Suzanne said:
I wasn't aware that there was an extended warranty for the Kindle. Was this extended warranty on the page I viewed when I purchased my Kindle? If so, in my excitement over getting my new toy I didn't see it.
I don't know if there is one through Amazon, that's a good question. I got mine through Square Trade after reading about it here.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I don't know if there is one through Amazon, that's a good question. I got mine through Square Trade after reading about it here.

Betsy
I don't believe Amazon offers anything. That's why people are using the Square Trade option.

L

·
Registered
378 Posts
  Like many of you I used to never buy the extended warranty. But a few years ago when my "New" big screen TV died 1 month out of its one year warranty period I was disgusted.  Luckily when I called the manufacture and complained about it dying 1 month out of warranty they were kind enough to honor the warranty.  When they sent my the refund for what I paid for the TV, I made sure to get the extended warranty on the new.--Good thing too, as we ended up killing our second big screen 2 years after getting it.  With the refund that we received for the second TV, we upgraded to LCD.  Hopefully this will work out better for us than the others did. 
  I decided to get the extended + accidental warranty for my K because I carry it everywhere with me--in my purse at that.  Plus I spend a LOT of time with small children, and while they know that they're not supposed to touch Auntie's expensive toys -my i-pod, digital camera, and Kindle of course- they don't always remember this rule... especially the 1.5 year old.  Under the circumstances I thought that a full warranty that covered as much as possible was the best way to go.  Plus with the extended warranty I can get a NEW replacement for my Kindle instead of a refurbished that someone has already had a problem with.  This was also important to me.  I plan on having my K for many many years to come, and I will take the best care of it that I possibly can, but sometimes stuff happens and I'd be horrified if my K wasn't protected.   

1 - 18 of 18 Posts