Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just watched this reality show (I guess it's reality) about these folks that clip, steal, or dig coupons out of trash bins, who go and pick up groceries, like over $500 worth, (sometimes even close to a $1000) and save anywhere from 90 - 96 % on their grocery bill. The one I watched last night on TLC had this one lady head into a shop early in the morning with her husband, fill up two carts (I think it was at least two) and pay a little over 6 bucks for it all because the coupons paid for the rest. There was a problem with the transactions, some had to be separate so these two called their friends down to the supermarket and asked them to help out. Anyway, after 5 hours at the supermarket, they went home with their groceries. The rooms in their houses are filled with excess goods, everything from toothpaste to milk.

And they aren't the only ones that do this.

At first I was a little in awe with these shoppers, and the dedication to their savings' goals, but in one instance, where one shopper simply took an entire display bucket of painkillers that were on sale and dumped the works into her cart, I started to think... is this something more? Is this just another form of hoarding? (Another TV show I've I've seen from time to time) Or even gluttony?

I still have mixed thoughts about this extreme display of shopping. One one hand, I have to admire them for the amount they save, but on the other, I'm shocked by the amount they purchase to save--and then stash in their homes.

Any thoughts on the matter?

· Super Moderator
74,471 Posts
A coupon doesn't save you diddly squat if it's for something you wouldn't have bought anyway. . . .what you're describing doesn't sound like saving. . .and it sounds vaguely disturbing, frankly.  :-\  As you say, maybe a form of hoarding.

And, while I'm as happy to get a bargain as the next person, 5 hours to buy groceries -- and having to call friends and neighbors to help -- seems like an imposition on said friends and neighbors and a big waste of TIME! :eek:

· Registered
316 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
A coupon doesn't save you diddly squat if it's for something you wouldn't have bought anyway. . . .what you're describing doesn't sound like saving. . .and it sounds vaguely disturbing, frankly. :-\ As you say, maybe a form of hoarding.

And, while I'm as happy to get a bargain as the next person, 5 hours to buy groceries -- and having to call friends and neighbors to help -- seems like an imposition on said friends and neighbors and a big waste of TIME! :eek:
Exactly. I've looked for great coupons, but the big ones are for stuff I never use, or for brands that are more expensive than my usual brands. These extreme coupon people must not buy milk, meat, etc. And my place is full enough of stuff. I don't need to start hoarding groceries I'll never use. (OMG, five hours for groceries, there are so many other things I can do with five hours.)

· Registered
12,430 Posts
My problem with coupons is that all the ones I see are for things I wouldn't have bought anyway but now I feel tempted to buy because "hey, I can get $1 off!"

Extreme couponing isn't for me. I admire the determination to save money but I'm not willing to sacrifice the time it would take to do it well. Besides I'm too in love with the convenience of one-stop shopping at Wal-Mart. I'm not prepared to drive all over town to get the best deals at different stores. But to those who are, more power to you!  :)

· Registered
145 Posts
Like most of you, I don't find coupons much for the things I do buy and I'm not about to make a second career of scouring the internet or anywhere else for coupons in my spare time!

I think what bothers me the most about what I have seen and heard about these extreme couponers is the selfishness of scooping up ALL of a sale item.  What about those people on fixed or low incomes that need to shop sales?  And what about me, who really does work at keeping my grocery bill down and looks for sales on foods I do eat to help me make ends meet?  I may buy several of one item on sale if it is good sale and I use the item, but to take the entire display???  :eek:

Is this what we want to teach as acceptable behavior?  I guess I shouldn't be surprised as it is in keeping with the general additude I see in people of "me first" with no thoughts of other people. 

Lilith

· Registered
2,711 Posts
I've seen little bits of this show here and there and I think it's rather bizzare. These people spend hours and hours gathering & organizing their coupons. I think I saw that one mother even had her kids dumpster diving with her. Euwwwww, gross. Then they go and buy all this stuff and store it in their basement or wherever. Who really will ever use 113 things of deoderant?? Then they plot their next shopping trip for MORE?? And wouldn't things like cereal and crackers etc go stale before you can consume 57 boxes of it?? I do think it borders on hoarding a bit. I'm all for stocking up on something if you'll use it in a reasonable amount of time but this is too extreme.  

· Registered
880 Posts
I thought it was some "acceptable" or "tolerated" version of hoarding too.  I only saw the show a couple of times, but each time it made me feel a bit uneasy...and then I was bored.  I wonder when is enough is enough for those people?  It looks like they are always at the grocery store.  I understand stretching your dollar, but anything in extreme never seems to be a good thing.  The fact that they literally clear out shelves or what the grocery store has in stock, is selfish, but I wonder if grocery stores have a stricter regulation/rules on that sort of thing as well...depending on their delivery schedule?

I would hope that they, grocery stores, would open a lane just for the people involved in extreme couponing!  Because I would hate to be stuck behind them!:p

I think an old friend of mine from university is learning and doing it now.  There is a club or chapter in every state in the US, and she has a mentor...

Tris

· Registered
507 Posts
Things like cereal and crackers usually last for a year or two, so if a family goes through about a box a week, it is possible to consume 57 boxes before it goes bad. Also, a lot of the Extreme Couponers donate some of the stuff they get to charity. When they take an entire display, the store simply brings up more from the back; or, if the item completely runs out, a customer wanting some can get a "raincheck" which allows them to get the item at the sale price when the item is back in stock. So these people are not depriving others of groceries.

I do think some of these Extreem Couponers go overboard, but it saves them a buttload of money and they enjoy it. They are pretty much being paid to do something they enjoy; usually people pay to be entertained, not the other way around. Sure a lot of them are buying crap, but these are not the type of people that would be buying non-crap or generics if they weren't couponing, they would just be paying full price for the same stuff.

It's true coupon alone probably won't save you money over buying generic, but if you combine coupons with sales you can save. And contrary to popular belief, coupons aren't just for junk food. I make all my family's food from scratch (and I mean *all,* even bread, pasta, etc.), and make my own toothpaste, dish detergent etc. so if I can save, anyone can. I have started Mediocre Couponing (just a minute or two here and there of looking at coupons and sales) and usually get $5 - $10 worth of stuff for free for every $1 newspaper I get. Once I got $30 worth of stuff for free.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
Coupons just mess up my purse. (See the "what's in your purse, lady" thread.)  I saw one episode where the guy donated a bunch of stuff to soldiers overseas.  That was nice.  But really, why do you need enough toothpaste for the rest of your life in the basement?  I think taken to that extreme it is some kind of obsessive disorder thing.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
I've seen this program a few times.  "Extreme" being the keyword here.  The one I saw showed this lady with something like 175 boxes of spaghetti.  I haven't bought that many in my life time.  The only one I saw that I thought made sense was a couple who did this and donated the excess food.

· Registered
2,747 Posts
It is a kind of obsession and hoarding thing. I can understand the buzz they get from paying 20.00 for a $1000 dollars worth of stuff but it is crazy to hoard it all. How much mouth wash or deodorant do you really need? In one I saw, a guy gave a lot of it to a food bank charity... which I thought was great. More of them need to think about stuff like that but creating a "stash" as I think they call seems to be some kind of badge of honor.
::)

· Registered
1,194 Posts
There was one episode this weekend involving a couple who do extreme couponing as a mission.  They give away much of what they purchase to those in need.  An admirable mission.

It has to be a terrific feeling to save so much money on groceries and other items.  I admire their dedication.  Like many of you I use coupons for specific items and purposes.  I don't have the room to hoard, but I do enjoy getting good deals every once in awhile.  

· Registered
706 Posts
I used to coupon a lot and typically would save between 60-80% between coupons and store sales.  I kept it to stuff we would use and extra of personal care for donations.  I stopped when our local stores were on strike for months and they got rid of double coupons. 

· Registered
2,343 Posts
I have three different friends who do this regularly, although not to an extent that I think they have any problems with it. One has her husband help out, it is certainly time consuming. But it enables them to stay home with their kids and pay very very little for groceries. They even manage to cover their produce and meat costs, which is extremely difficult with standard couponing. They are all three strongly religious and always donate anything they won't consume to their church shelters or schools. When a coupon offer comes up that's easy for others to cash in on, they always share how to grab free items and often send links to places in need of such items. I remember one time it was an offer for free toothbrushes and apparently troops overseas are in need of them continuously, so they sent out how to get them and where to send them.

My friends don't remind me at all of the families on the show, though. They don't use part of their house for excess food storage, for example. And they still have very normal lives outside of their grocery shopping.

Just thought I'd point out that it's possible to do the couponing without letting it consume you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.