Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
People have custom font settings for their e-readers. I probably have my settings at around 100 to 150 words per page, so your example would have me reading at least 666 pages.

I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now, which according to Google clocks in at ~395,000 words. At my settings, it's 3251 pages long.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gessert Books said:
That's not something you'll really be able to calculate based on word count. There are a ton of variables and Amazon isn't transparent about what they are. But if you also upload a print edition, they'll take that pagecount and apply it to the ebook as well.
Hmm, okay. I will be doing a print version when I'm ready to publish, but I was hoping to have some idea of book length before then as well, but I understand what you mean about Amazon's lack of transparency re: page count.

I see most books in the genre I'm currently working in are around 300 pages, so I was hoping to meet that benchmark as well without having to wait until I'm absolutely ready to publish only to find out if I'm in the ballpark or not. I'm thinking if I'm around 100k words I should be safe, but as you've alluded to above - who knows?

EmberKent said:
People have custom font settings for their e-readers. I probably have my settings at around 100 to 150 words per page, so your example would have me reading at least 666 pages.

I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now, which according to Google clocks in at ~395,000 words. At my settings, it's 3251 pages long.
I'm more asking about the page count as listed in an ebook's description on Amazon. I'd like mine to be of similar length to others in my genre, and I'd like to be able to determine this well before I'm ready to publish, but it doesn't appear as though that's possible.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
It's more about characters, including spaces, than it is words. A book about antidisestablishmentarianism might have fewer words but more characters. Also, the ratio of dialogue to narrative comes in to play.
"Really?"
"Absolutely!"
"How so?"
"Shorter paragraphs."

But 100K words is probably going to come in around 460 to 480 KENPC.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne Stinnett said:
It's more about characters, including spaces, than it is words. A book about antidisestablishmentarianism might have fewer words but more characters. Also, the ratio of dialogue to narrative comes in to play.
"Really?"
"Absolutely!"
"How so?"
"Shorter paragraphs."

But 100K words is probably going to come in around 460 to 480 KENPC.
Great points that I hadn't fully considered. Sounds as though 100k should be fine then. I had a feeling it was more than enough, but I'm a bit cautious by nature, I don't like leaving too much to chance if I can help it. Anyway, appreciate your input. Thank you.

Gessert Books said:
At 100k words I would think you are in good shape unless that word is "a."
lol. Fair enough. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.