Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem?

When I load Facebook touch on my kindle 3g, it goes to the main page and after about one second after it loads, it all disappears and says 'connection error try again'. Why is it doing this, it worked just fine until last Wednesday.

I've tried the mobile site, touch site, clearing cookies, clearing browser, restarting K3 and "managed" the Social Networks via the K3.

I like to check my FB account during breaks at work and am going through withdrawals. lol
Anybody have any ideas how to fix this problem?

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
"Manage Social Networks" really does nothing more than allow you to input your FB or Twitter log in credentials.  Then, when you finish reading a book, you can share about it directly from your Kindle.

If you want to actually go to FB from the Kindle you need to use the experimental web browser.  But even the 'mobile' version is a pretty complex site.  I'm not surprised the Kindle doesn't render it well.  The browser is really very basic.  There are lots of reports of it not working well with various sites. :-\

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
It appears to be a JavaScript issue. If you turn off JavaScript in the Kindle's browser settings, the problem goes away. (While in the browser, press "Menu", select "Browser Settings", and in the next window select "Disable JavaScript", then reload the page.)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
PS: Here are the screenshots from the article I just posted in my blog about this:

The error message:

After pressing the "Menu" button while still in the browser:

The screen where you select the option to disable JavaScript:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NogDog said:
It appears to be a JavaScript issue. If you turn off JavaScript in the Kindle's browser settings, the problem goes away. (While in the browser, press "Menu", select "Browser Settings", and in the next window select "Disable JavaScript", then reload the page.)
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
It's working again! :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I rarely use the browser unless I'm traveling somewhere and don't have internet access - then I use the 3G in the car and other places. I usually have no trouble using the mobile site for facebook,  but this weekend I experienced the Connection Error issue for the first time. For some reason it happened on Friday morning, but was working fine by evening. Then when I tried Facebook Sat evening it came up again, but was working fine again Sunday morning. I just wrote it off as a temporary glitch, but I'll try disabling JavaScript next time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting bit of info about disabling javascript.  I wonder if this was causing some issues with other sites I was using.  Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts