Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two months, I've set a limit of two bucks a day on a Facebook advertising campaign. In June, for example, I spent 27 bucks and got 30 "likes" to my author page and 4.4 impressions for each of 17,500 people. Not bad, not good, but probably not effective enough to get people to remember the name of my novella when it goes on sale Aug. 2.

Here was my problem -- my campaign was way too wide. I was targeting 250,000+ people. Yes they were authors in my genre but I had no idea how many of them owned e-readers.

So yesterday I upped my daily buy to four bucks and narrowed my target audience down to the 2,900 people who are fans of the Frugal e-reader site. I reached 1,182 people an average of 13 times each -- in one day. I got two "likes" to the author page and four people to click to the page that has a summary of my book.

How many people are going to buy my novella? I have no clue. But I'm beginning to feel confident that they will at least be aware of it -- and that's half the battle in this business.

Now for my question: Has anyone had success in getting Facebook to ADD an interest category for advertisers to target? You can't currently target fans of Pixel of Ink, for example, which has 28,000 fans and I'm guessing 95 percent of them own an ereader.

UPDATE
Results to date. Remarkably consistent so far.

THURSDAY -- 1182 at 13.1 impressions each
FRIDAY -- 1103 at 12.2 impressions each
SATURDAY -- 1133 AT 11.9 impressions each

·
Registered
494 Posts
alexadena said:
For the past two months, I've set a limit of two bucks a day on a Facebook advertising campaign. In June, for example, I spent 27 bucks and got 30 "likes" to my author page and 4.4 impressions for each of 17,500 people. Not bad, not good, but probably not effective enough to get people to remember the name of my novella when it goes on sale Aug. 2.

Here was my problem -- my campaign was way too wide. I was targeting 250,000+ people. Yes they were authors in my genre but I had no idea how many of them owned e-readers.

So yesterday I upped my daily buy to four bucks and narrowed my target audience down to the 2,900 people who are fans of the Frugal e-reader site. I reached 1,182 people an average of 13 times each -- in one day. I got two "likes" to the author page and four people to click to the page that has a summary of my book.

How many people are going to buy my novella? I have no clue. But I'm beginning to feel confident that they will at least be aware of it -- and that's half the battle in this business.

Now for my question: Has anyone had success in getting Facebook to ADD an interest category for advertisers to target? You can't currently target fans of Pixel of Ink, for example, which has 28,000 fans and I'm guessing 95 percent of them own an ereader.

P.S. I'll update at the end of the day with today's marketing numbers ...
Good strategy and good question...I'm not sure how we get FB to add categories...maybe it has something to do with how long the business page has been live? (This is just a guess.) I just added Frugal eReader to my target parameters...I hadn't thought of this -- good idea. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the input and numbers, I think you're on the right track. I'd love to hear how this goes as it gets closer to August and your book is released.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Something else you might try is targeting your ad to FB members who are fans of (or have "liked") the Kindle. I did this awhile back with mixed results. I targeted females of a certain age who'd indicated an interest in Kindle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dara England said:
Something else you might try is targeting your ad to FB members who are fans of (or have "liked") the Kindle. I did this awhile back with mixed results. I targeted females of a certain age who'd indicated an interest in Kindle.
Good idea, Dara. If I can narrow the target audience down to a few thousand by being really selective, I will give that a try next. I've asked Facebook if they could add Pixel of Ink as a target for advertisers as well as their sister site, Inspired Reads, which caters to readers of inspirational fiction.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE
Results to date. Interesting how impressions is trending lower.

THURSDAY -- 1182 at 13.1 impressions each
FRIDAY -- 1103 at 12.2 impressions each
SATURDAY -- 1133 at 11.9 impressions each
SUNDAY -- 1080 at 10.6 impressions each
MONDAY -- 1104 at 9.2 impressions each
TUESDAY -- 1013 at 8.7 impressions each

LAST SEVEN * DAYS -- 1560 AT 47.3 (!) impressions each.

* Actually last six days, but that's the search option Facebook permits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts