Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last few weeks my Facebook ads have effectively stopped targeting the U.S. My audience demo has always been Canada/U.S/UK and Australia. Suddenly, 80% of impressions are coming from the UK.

I've changed nothing else...and I am wondering if anyone noticed the same. To some extent I think this is an Apple IOS issue.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically,Facebook ads for the US marketplace have become super expensive...because to audience is super small now...Facebook won't serve the ads to consumers if they can't record the click...which is what I suspected.

·
Registered
Writing the next books in my Martin Billings series.
613 Posts
I was under the impression that FB still sent them ads, but that it is now blind. You don't know what happens when an Apple user sees the ad unless you get a purchase. IF that is true, it isn't that they've gotten more expensive, it's that you have no way of knowing how effective they are (compared to before).

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think it's more like what @travelinged is stating. Not that FB isn't showing the ads, but that there's no way to track in some instances. In my case, I changed nothing, and my sales in September remained mostly in line with previous months but FB spent less of my money. But in October, FB spent a little more, but my sales dropped about 20%, resulting in the worst profitable month this year; a reason could be FB fiddling with its algorithms and its targeting getting worse.

One of my ads definitely over-targeted UK (like Mark's comment), but the other seems to be still spread across.

Since iOS privacy changes, FB has been surely tinkering with their adtech & algorithms (and their lower-than-expected results recently reflected this shift) and we're probably seeing effects of that. I'll wait a couple more months before making any large scale changes to my ad approach.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On one hand I am not losing money because no clicks, no money for Facebook. I find it hard to believe Facebook is showing ads to customers and they are clicking and Facebook is eating that revenue and giving the customers a freebie.Facebook is totally geared on clicks and having ads pay for them. So they will show the ads where they get their money.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read a comment in another forum saying facebook ads have gone up in average cost by 90% per click. Meaning to serve an impression on someone with the privacy settings on Apple off...you are bidding a premium. Facebook has updated its algo...they know already who is open to targeting and who isn't.

Mark

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is because of the time of year. EVERY YEAR, FB ads skyrocket leading up to Christmas. They get more and more expensive as Oct, Nov, Dec roll on. You are competing with big retailers who have deep pockets. These bids always come back down in Jan. I've seen it year after year after year. And every new Christmas, people seem shocked that it's happening again. Relax. It has nothing to do with Apple, and your ads are not dying off.

You have 2 choices: 1) relax and wait for Jan, or 2) double your bids to get Christmas sales. Only you know what will work best for you. I split it: double my ad bids but cut my budget in half.
Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts