Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am playing around with the idea of adding a facebook 'Like' button to a book giveaway page on my website.

http://america.library4history.org/freebooks.html

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and if so what were the results. I don't use facebook much so I am not sure what action will happen when a visitor clicks on the like button. As I understand it the URL of the web page will be sent to their friends.

A few questions about the like button.

Do all your friends get a message on their facebook page?
Is it just the URL? URL with page title? Other?
Any opinions or hints on doing this?

Thanks
Charlie Reese

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi,

I use like buttons on my website book pages, and also on my 2011 Blog Tour page on my website. What happens when a visitor clicks the button entirely depends on what method of the facebook like button you're using, but I think the bog standard one you can get now does show up on someone's profile when they click it, and therefore it will show in the newsfeed for their friends too. Their friends don't get the URL sent to them, but they do see it on their newsfeed that their friend has liked something.

What gets shown on the newsfeed / likers profile entirely depends on the method used. I'm not sure what people see when it's the like button that is generated using the easy method of sticking your URL into the box on the facebook developers Like page and snagging the generated code based on things you tick / change. I use the full on version with the SDK as I'm a developer, and in that I can use the meta tags to define the picture that will show, the title, the link, the blurb, etc.

In terms of it being a competition page, Facebook might get uppity about it as they're cracking down on anything giveaway / competition related at the moment. Check the Facebook rules on this matter before doing anything. They've been deleting Facebook pages that have been holding competitions on FB. I think asking someone to "like" a page in order to enter a contest is one of their no-no's, but not sure if that's asking someone to like a facebook page rather than a website page... I guess either way you're using facebook to collect the entries, which is a no-no.

Hope this helps,

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a competition, I just want to give away a few hundred copies.  All you have to do is download them.  No registration at all, it just has a box you put text in that you see in an image which is to keep bots from downloading the books.

Did you do the SDK yourself?  I program quite a bit in php and some perl and have used a few SDKs but just glanced at the facebook one. 

·
Registered
154 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult if you just follow what Facebook says about the SDK and how to use it. It's just a case of adding some extra namespaces to the opening HTML tag, and then adding the special meta tags, and then including their special SDK version of the Facebook Like button. You can see it on my site. You do have to register your site as an App with the developer network, and find out your Facebook Profile ID (there's an app for that called What's My ID or something like that).

Here's an example page from my website:

http://www.felicityheaton.co.uk/ebooks.php?title=Ascension

I mostly program in PHP and JavaScript. It's not a difficult SDK to use really. Quite straightforward.

If it's not a competition then I can't see why FB would have a problem. I just wanted to give you a heads up as FB has been policing competitions recently and didn't want you to get collared by them.

Felicity

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good Grief!  I looked at you page and saw your 'share box' and thought wow she has everything, then I noticed the more link.  341 more ways to share  :eek:. That's impressive, I need a smiley for 'gob smacked'.

I will give the SDK a try tomorrow.  Thanks for your help.

Charlie

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I've got FB and Twitter buttons on my site. I don't know if anyone ever clicks them or how much good it does me if somebody does but I figure it can't hurt, right? :) You can see how they look on the sidebar here: http://www.daraenglandauthor.com/

The original buttons I sent my designer didn't want to resize right so she used some she had on hand. They don't clash with my site colors, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I recently put up a simple like button. If a user clicks, it sends all his FB friends a thumbnail of the book and something that says, "Joe Blow likes blabla." So if the user has 450 FB friends, then 450 people get it.

When one of the 450 FB friend clicks on the thumbnail he got through Joe Blow, he is sent to my non-FB web page. That's the same one on which Joe Blow clicked the like.

I think you can rig it so the short blurb that accompanies the thumbnail can say, "Free Book," or whatever you want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Library4Science said:
Good Grief! I looked at you page and saw your 'share box' and thought wow she has everything, then I noticed the more link. 341 more ways to share :eek:. That's impressive, I need a smiley for 'gob smacked'.
yes, the other one I use is AddThis, which covers pretty much every site you can think of. It's also free. I mostly use it so people can share my book pages on twitter and non-FB platforms.

I've also recently added the Goodreads Add Book widget as a lot of people I know are on Goodreads, and I like to be transparent with readers about what other readers think of the book.

:)

Felicity

1 - 8 of 8 Posts