Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am easily amused, I suppose. I had an argument with my grown daughter last week on Thursday. I wanted her opinion on my computer problems (poured a cup of coffee on my laptop and had to replace it) which invariably irritates her which invariably makes me angry. When she snapped at me, I hung up on her. So... we weren't speaking.

Fast forward a week. Friday I finally email her asking when it was she wanted me to dog sit (her dogs can't be left alone). That night she calls me, not having checked her personal email, and asks me if I want to go grocery shopping with her. Neither of us mentioned having been angry.

Apparently we can stay mad at each other for a week.  :D

(No particular point but it amuses me)

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
My mom was one of four siblings -- the oldest and the only girl. When their second parent (my grandfather) died in '69, there was one item in particular out of the big old house that all four of the "kids" wanted. My mom got it. I don't know why or how it came about. So it hung on the wall in her house for the rest of her life. (She died in '96.) By the last few years of her life, only one brother was left. When her health was going downhill in her last year or two, her brother asked me if he could have it then (before her death). That did not sit well with me. I said (paraphrased), "NO. She's not dead yet." He did come from Seattle to Chicago when we were quite certain her death was not far off. He stayed in mom's condo unit while here because mom was in the hospital. He left and went home before her death. After her death when I was clearing out her condo, took the birds down from the wall. Printed HUGE across the back -- H O M E R. Hmmmmm. I never spoke to or corresponded with him again. He died a few years ago. The birds have been hanging on my wall ever since mom's death.

22.25" X 28.25"

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Sad or lovely, these are real family issues. These always touch my heart. I lost my parents at young age. I am very emotional when children show no respect to their parents. And most disgusting to me is when children want parents for dog or baby sitting only...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
As a daughter, I just want to point out that I love having my parents babysit. They prefer being alone with their grand kids, and they are some of the only people I truly feel comfortable leaving my kids alone with. While it may seem like taking advantage, I surely don't see it that way.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
OK.  I'm gonna run with this.

First, I'd like to advise OP, as he already knows, how lucky he is to have family like that.  That he and his daughter were able to look past such a non-issue and move forward is outstanding.  Many of us do not have that luxury. 

Please consider your time on earth and why you have it.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My family is the type to push things away and out of our minds, as well, without actually apologizing or anything like that.  The only problem is that those feelings have a tendency to explode at the wrong moments and at the wrong time - such as Christmas Eve at my grandmother's apartment.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My mom and I are on opposite sides of the political spectrum, which can be tough. I think the only thing that will work for us is to never discuss it. I also just apologized profusely for being immature about it in 2008.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts