Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son broke his kindle throwing it around in his backpack full of dead tree books, and KB member Bailey Bristol commented, "Try carrying the 150 books you have in your Kindle in a backpack."

Imagine a Kindle ad:
One guy is hunched over and staggering under a huge backpack, and he brags,"I got 22 books in here."
The other guy whips his Kindle out of his jacket pocket and says, "450."

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How about this: A guy on a huge library ladder stretches out to pick out a book and the ladder goes over, followed by about one ton of books and shelves.
Uh...I don't have a tag line.

·
Registered
604 Posts
How about a couple leaving for a weeks Caribbean cruise.  Two pictures.  Before, three big suitcases, one labeled "books."  After, two suitcases, couple each holding Kindle.  That was my wife and I, and we had a whole bunch less weight to haul on and off the ship.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My girlfriend once described her own fantasy ad.

"It's 2 a.m. You're stuck in a hotel room in a strange city, and you can't sleep.  While lying awake in bed, you've finally finished the book that you were reading. Now you want to start reading its sequel..."

KINDLE OWNER:  Remains seated comfortably in bed.  Presses a few buttons and the ebook is wirelessly delivered from Amazon's Kindle Store.

BOOK OWNER:    Dressed in black "robber" costume, they approach a closed bookstore with a coil of rope over their shoulder, with a grappling hook.  "Umph" they shout, as they toss the grappling hook towards the bookstore's roof....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Me and my Kindle, that 'book owner" needs a Kindle badly. Find him and gift him before he does something violent.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me and My Kindle said:

"It's 2 a.m. You're stuck in a hotel room in a strange city, and you can't sleep. While lying awake in bed, you've finally finished the book that you were reading. Now you want to start reading its sequel..."

KINDLE OWNER: Remains seated comfortably in bed. Presses a few buttons and the ebook is wirelessly delivered from Amazon's Kindle Store.

BOOK OWNER: Dressed in black "robber" costume, they approach a closed bookstore with a coil of rope over their shoulder, with a grappling hook. "Umph" they shout, as they toss the grappling hook towards the bookstore's roof....
I'm new, so I don't know if I'm doing this right for reply. See previous post.

·
Registered
523 Posts
When I was an undergraduate, this was before electronic books, I used to carry a backpack full of, probably twenty books, to class each day that probably weighed at least two tons total and frequently the university book store was out of the books that I needed, I would say that was probably 90% of the time.  Now with electronic books instead of carrying two tons of books I would carry one reader and the book store would not be involved and I would always have the text that I need for class.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I was just looking up my textbooks for the fall semester, and one is available on Kindle, $24 cheaper than the DTB version.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTackitt said:
I was just looking up my textbooks for the fall semester, and one is available on Kindle, $24 cheaper than the DTB version.
That's enough money for two large pizzas. Save more in college. Ditch the backpack and buy a Kindle.

·
Registered
993 Posts
BTackitt said:
I've been finding more, but so many nonfiction books are still so expensive. I mean RIDICULOUSLY so. Like the dead tree book costs... $130 and the kindle book costs... $130. Seriously?!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tara Maya said:
I've been finding more, but so many nonfiction books are still so expensive. I mean RIDICULOUSLY so. Like the dead tree book costs... $130 and the kindle book costs... $130. Seriously?!
Tara. At this point in the e-revolution, traditional publishers of textbooks are responsible for those outrageous prices. They're locking out competition from e-publishers, using their connections in academia and their control of copyrights to keep prices high. Their days are numbered. The authors of those textbooks will eventually make better deals with e-publishers. Then, everyone will be able to afford the cost of books in college, and the authors will actually make more money.
Of course, this fact won't help you by tomorrow. So, God bless you, and maybe you could cut back on expenses in the meantime; in my college days, I could survive for weeks on Ramen noodles and a few Milky Ways.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oops, I forgot to add my ad (television). A little girl in a schoolyard is texting to Mr. Kindle (as in Mr. Claus). "Dear Mister Kindl, Cod you pleas put the book I need for my homwork on my Kindl. the book is bugs and plants."
Cut to Amazon executive in his office reading his iPhone messages, suddenly upset. "Baxter, get in here! How come we don't have 'Bugs and Plants' on Kindle!"

·
Registered
904 Posts
I rather like the idea of that backpack commercial.  I could actually see something like that hitting the commercial waves.

Along those same lines...

Two people are walking towards the main door of an airplane.  The camera would only show them from about the waist-up.  The two are discussing how they just bought a book for the plane, and how they've each purchased dozens of books in recent weeks.  One says "I carry all of mine with me."  "Me too!" says the other one.  As they approach the ticket-taker-person, the first person hands the ticket over, says he has the one carry-on and his books, and boards the plane.  The next person walks up to the ticket-taker-person, hands over the ticket, says he has just one carry-on and his books.  The camera pans back and it's revealed that the second person does indeed carry all their books with them...piled in a pull-cart.  The first person looks back, pulls out his Kindle and does a little "Mentos" smile and wave.

Kindle - Don't get harassed by airlines for carrying too many books.

***Note - For anyone who actually is one of the ticket-taker-people, I apologize for not knowing the actual name/term for your position. That's just the only thing I thought to call it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tara Maya said:
When I was at university, the law course I did had a standard textbook we all needed that was written by... the head of department. In today's money that was about $500. So there was a little industry in photocopying the pages and selling copies in sets of binders.

Wait! That's an argument in favour of dead tree books. Oops! *creeps away in disgrace*

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tim C. Taylor said:
When I was at university, the law course I did had a standard textbook we all needed that was written by... the head of department. In today's money that was about $500. So there was a little industry in photocopying the pages and selling copies in sets of binders.

Wait! That's an argument in favour of dead tree books. Oops! *creeps away in disgrace*
No disgrace. Human nature will seep in no matter what. if it's capitalism, so be it. At least, it enabled students. Creep away in disgrace only when you team up with the head of the department to rip off your classmates instead of recommending the latest and greatest technology.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:

"It's 2 a.m. You're stuck in a hotel room in a strange city, and you can't sleep. While lying awake in bed, you've finally finished the book that you were reading. Now you want to start reading its sequel..."

KINDLE OWNER: Remains seated comfortably in bed. Presses a few buttons and the ebook is wirelessly delivered from Amazon's Kindle Store.

BOOK OWNER: Dressed in black "robber" costume, they approach a closed bookstore with a coil of rope over their shoulder, with a grappling hook. "Umph" they shout, as they toss the grappling hook towards the bookstore's roof....
Haha! I love that one!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JRTomlin said:
Haha! I love that one!
You guys are giving me ideas, and I love it. I need time to check out your books. Hold while I get to it. But...what if you found a Kindle floating in the ocean after a shipwreck and were able to open to its Home page? Whoa!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts