Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're a Fantasy & Sci-Fi writer or reader, you should join the best Fantasy page on Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/fantasyscifi

They post some really cool updates about fantasy and sci-fi

If you want them to promote your book to thousands of their members in Fantascize.com and that page, feel free to send them a message or Email them at [email protected]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your facebook page is great—I just lost an hour scrolling through all the pics and news there. I 'liked' it.

I bet a lot of writers here would love to feature on it. I've just emailed you to see what the deal is!

Rob

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just heard back from them. You have to pay to get a mention. Sorry for pointing this out if it's obvious to everyone else. I thought you might have to pay, but they didn't mention it in the OP, so I was half-hoping that they might just add their own affilliate codes or something.

·
Administrator
10,097 Posts
Rob May said:
I just heard back from them. You have to pay to get a mention. Sorry for pointing this out if it's obvious to everyone else. I thought you might have to pay, but they didn't mention it in the OP, so I was half-hoping that they might just add their own affilliate codes or something.
Could you post the info they sent, Rob?

Does look like a great site for all things spec!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I'm getting the sense that wave of self-pubb'd books is a little like the gold rush. Not very many people who find the gold get rich, but everyone who caters to those miners makes a nice living off of their dreams.

G

·
vrabinec said:
I'm getting the sense that wave of self-pubb'd books is a little like the gold rush. Not very many people who find the gold get rich, but everyone who caters to those miners makes a nice living off of their dreams.
How to make money self-publishing:

Step one: Start a Facebook page of blog
Step two: Convince a bunch of authors to "support" indie publishing by liking/joining
Step three: post a spam post under a new account pretending not to be associated with the site, telling authors how awesome it is
Step four: wait for authors to flock to you to give you money so they can promote their books to all of the authors who liked the site on step two.

::)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
vrabinec said:
I get the feeling that applies to pretty much every other career out there. Not every scientist will be rich. In fact, you're seriously gonna be poor forever if you're a scientist. But ya know - there's always those few dozen people who win that freaking Nobel Prize every year...must be nice to be them. Too bad I can't get a Nobel Prize...but maybe I can start a lab supply company and sell them centrifuge tubes, yeah - because all scientists need centrifuge tubes. And then maybe I'll break out into glassware...

There is nothing to see here...

Some people do things, some people create things, some people supply things, some people distribute things. You can do any of those things as well. You can do all of those things. You can do none of those things.

As Terrance would say, ain't freedom grand?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
How to make money self-publishing:

Step one: Start a Facebook page of blog
Step two: Convince a bunch of authors to "support" indie publishing by liking/joining
Step three: post a spam post under a new account pretending not to be associated with the site, telling authors how awesome it is
Step four: wait for authors to flock to you to give you money so they can promote their books to all of the authors who liked the site on step two.

::)
The page has 68,000+ likes and hundreds of people interacting with it. If you're a SF/F writer, this is actually something to look into. But thanks for your input, it was very helpful.

G

·
JanneCO said:
The page has 68,000+ likes and hundreds of people interacting with it. If you're a SF/F writer, this is actually something to look into. But thanks for your input, it was very helpful.
The OP has one other post in which he claims to be a social media expert and says that he owns the site being promoted in this thread. Yet he fails to identify himself in this thread as the owner of the site and instead talks in the third person as if he is an neutral observer.

This sort of nonsense strikes a nerve with me. It's like people think we're too stupid to connect the dots.

·
Administrator
10,097 Posts
The OP has one other post in which he claims to be a social media expert and says that he owns the site being promoted in this thread. Yet he fails to identify himself in this thread as the owner of the site and instead talks in the third person as if he is an neutral observer.

This sort of nonsense strikes a nerve with me. It's like people think we're too stupid to connect the dots.
It isn't optimal way to approach us, but as moral transgressions go, it seems pretty minor. I see no reason to bite off my nose to spite my face. I spent at least 40 minutes earlier today looking at funny pics on that site. It's good.

What I'm more interested in knowing is how the promotional opportunities, which I think must be focused on the website, mesh with the Fb page, which looks like it gets a lot more action.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Their facebook site is a great site, full of cool sci-fi stuff, and they obviously update it regularly.

The question is though, is it worth $30 for a mention? Maybe it is, but I'm a new author and on principle I'm unwilling (for now) to spend anything other than time promoting my stuff. Even if I come across a site that wants a couple of $ to add your book to their catalogue, I immediately look elsewhere. The only thing I'm happy to trade for publicity is review copies of my book!

Rob

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
vrabinec said:
Hey, I think it's great if we are doing well enough to support other people supporting us. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Rob May said:
Their facebook site is a great site, full of cool sci-fi stuff, and they obviously update it regularly.

The question is though, is it worth $30 for a mention? Maybe it is, but I'm a new author and on principle I'm unwilling (for now) to spend anything other than time promoting my stuff. Even if I come across a site that wants a couple of $ to add your book to their catalogue, I immediately look elsewhere. The only thing I'm happy to trade for publicity is review copies of my book!
I've paid for advertising a couple of times now, but only after research into the venue and input from other writers on the kinds of results they've had. Ok, I just signed up for Harvey's new promotion for new books on the KB Boards site and forked over my fifteen bucks, but that's Harvey, and he's pushed my books for free before, so I don't feel too bad about the experiment.

I would have to know a bit more about what precisely this site is offering for $30 -- that seems steep to me for just a mention on Facebook, even with all those likes.

G

·
hyperviperx99 said:
We have actually helped boost book sales with our ads. Feel free to Email us at [email protected]
So in the original post, the site is run by "they" but now it is "we."

And insofar as all of those "likes", hey, you can buy those now. And all of those funny pictures?

Sorry, not dropping this. According to Whois, the site just came into existence in August 2012. If you Google the site, the only information you find is forum posts from random people promoting the site. And yet this site with zero internet presence has 60,000 likes?

People want to give this site $30...go for it. It's your money. But I can't believe I am the only one that smells something off.

·
Administrator
10,097 Posts
So in the original post, the site is run by "they" but now it is "we."

And insofar as all of those "likes", hey, you can buy those now. And all of those funny pictures?

Sorry, not dropping this. According to Whois, the site just came into existence in August 2012. If you Google the site, the only information you find is forum posts from random people promoting the site. And yet this site with zero internet presence has 60,000 likes?

People want to give this site $30...go for it. It's your money. But I can't believe I am the only one that smells something off.
What about the long comment threads on some of those pics? See the Wolverine-vs.-Ironman duel, for instance. The 232 people commenting look legit to me. Is that all fabricated or imported from elsewhere?

I don't find the 60K likes in five months unbelievable. People love this kind of stuff -- that's why it works as a spamming tactic (per your link). It seems to be contained mostly on Fb, with not a whole lot going on on the main site, fantascize.com. If it's largely isolated to Fb, maybe it doesn't have a big Google footprint.

I'm not invested in defending these folks -- don't know any more about them than anyone else. But neither do I want to trash the site just b/c hyperviperx99 apparently didn't realize it was okay to come on KB and begin one explicitly self-promoting thread, and therefore pretended to be a third party in the OP. Lots of forums don't allow self-promotion; he/she apparently didn't take the time to figure out that KB does. Not a mortal sin, in my book.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts