Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you a fast or slow reader?  I'm a slow reader and I relish what I'm reading.  My girlfriend is a fast reader and she devours her books. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
How do you define fast? I usually take 3-4 days to finish a book, but some books will take me literally weeks (though I do read multiple books at one time).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pidgeon92 said:
How do you define fast? I usually take 3-4 days to finish a book, but some books will take me literally weeks (though I do read multiple books at one time).
I read multiple books at the same time too. I've only been doing it since I have all my books on my Kindle. Fast would be read the book in one or two days.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I'm a fast reader.  I read every word.  I don't skim.  The only way I could read any slower would be to multitask or read for fewer hours a day.  I don't think I would get any enjoyment out of that.  It's just the rate at which I read.  I don't understand why you think a slow reader would get more enjoyment out of a book than a fast reader.  I'm not defensive, just curious.  The only time it takes me more than a couple of days to read a book, is if I'm not really into it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Count me as fast I usually can do a novel in a couple of hours.  I can never read something with someone because I'm always done long before they get ready to turn the page.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Compared to my husband and a friend of mine that shares books with me, I am a slow reader.  If it is a book I am really getting into, it will take me a couple of days (couple of hours per day).  Otherwise it can take me a loooooong time to finish a book.  I have a tendency to finish the book even if I'm not overly enthusiastic about it.  I also usually have at least 2 books or more going at the same time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a slowpoke, too, Avalon.  I tend to go back over particularly powerful or well-crafted sections of a book as I'm reading it, savoring how the writer achieved the desired effect.  Plus I have a lousy short-term memory, so I tend to slow down and make a conscious effort to memorize characters when they're introduced.  Sometimes I jot down notes even when I'm just reading fun/trashy stuff.

When a book gets exciting, I can really speed along and devour it.  But eventually I start feeling like I missed something in my haste, so I go back to relish all the details slowly.

I'm getting very spoiled by the Kindle's bookmark and search functionality.  I put bookmarks at places I think I might want to come back to.  I should probably use notes and clippings more often, but I keep forgetting about them.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
That would all depend on many things:

If I love the series, I will go through it fast and go back and read it slowly.
Also it depends how much time I have to read, i will go through a book faster if i don't have much time for reading (like exam week and so forth)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't understand why you think a slow reader would get more enjoyment out of a book than a fast reader.
Sebat, I totally envy your ability to read quickly while retaining information and enjoying the ride! Speaking for myself, I don't think slow readers get more enjoyment out of a book, but I do know that I, as a slow reader, get more enjoyment out of readingly slowly rather than quickly...only because I'm just plain lousy at reading quickly. :)

Edit: Finally escaped Dr. Seusshood! Yeah!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think that I read at a middle speed, Not fast, but yet not overly slow either.  I have notices that some books take me longer then other books that may have similar number of pages.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It depends on the book but I think for the most part I'm just right. lol.  It takes me about 3-5 days to read an average sized novel.  However, if my brain feels inferior to the reading material it can take me quite a bit longer and with regular breaks reading other books/short stories. :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't think the number of days it takes to read a book shows anything about being a fast or slow reader. Some people may read 4 hours a day, or 2 hours a day, or 1 to 1.5 hours a day (like me). If I am really into it, I will read every word. If I am not really into it, but not so turned off that I just forget it, I will tend to skim a lot more. I don't know what this means for my reading speed, but I consider myself to be generally a slow reader. When I was a teenager I took a speed reading course and could read very fast, but I found that while it was good for reading material I didn't like (like textbooks), it was not very enjoyable for my personal, "fun" reading. So I haven't speed read like that in many years - no, make that many decades.

Steve

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm a fast reader so long as I'm reading, although I have a bad habit of skipping ahead on the page, which is one of the reasons I love the kindle so much. Bigger font = less to skip forward to.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I think it depends on the book you are reading but overall I guess I am in the middle. Believe me we do have speed readers, look at the thread Books Read in November. Made me feel inadequate! ;D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I agree with Steve that number of days means little, as it depends on how much time is available to read.  Back in the days of paper books, I based it roughly on how many pages per hour, although even that can vary depending on font type and paperback vs. hardback (although that was more consistent, I found).  I normally would read roughly 100-125 pages an hour, and counted that as fast compared to others I know besides my mother, who is also a fast reader. So on a lazy weekend day where I did nothing else, I might read 3 reasonable size books in one day.

As I have seen many others comment, I seem to read even somewhat faster on the Kindle, and have read comparable reasonable size books in about the same or slightly less time as I would have read their paper versions, so I guess I'm still a fast reader. I believe I still retain what I read as I read, but do have the problem sometimes of reading so *many* that I get them mixed up after awhile...  :p

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm a very slow reader.  When Mr. KM is reading over my shoulder he gets the to end of the page/article much faster than I do.  I always thought I was a fast reader until I married him so maybe I'm average and he's fast?  To me it doesn't matter because I'm not the one waiting at the end of the page.    :D

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi Kindlemom and congrats on your first post. Please go to Intro/Welcome Board and tell us a little more about yourself. Where do you live, what type books do you enjoy, etc. There are some good folks here that want to have the opportunity to welcome you!  :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Steph H said:
I agree with Steve that number of days means little, as it depends on how much time is available to read.
While I agree with that statement, I have never tested my reading speed and I've never finished a book in less than day so that's why I'm basing it on days. :)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I read  about 110 to 120 pages a hour      I don't know it that's fast or slow.  I can usually  tell how long a book will last by the number of pages.  When I was younger I had to set the timer  to remember to stop reading and get to sleep.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts