Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you familiar with Gail McHugh's first novel, Collide?  She just released it January 21, I believe, and it's been in the top 100 and top 10 immediately. In less than two weeks, she hit the NYTimes list with a first book, and signed with an agent, Jane Dystel. I read her book over the weekend while I was stuck inside with no power....and it's good. It's an angsty love story, a young woman in her early 20's torn between two men. I enjoyed the story and can see the appeal.

It's pretty amazing though that she was discovered so quickly. She has a facebook page and did a blog tour two weeks before her release. It's impressive and encouraging to see an unknown able to be found so fast.

Is anyone else familiar with her? Is there anything else she did to promote that you are aware of?

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Wow, good for her! No, this book hadn't hit my radar, yet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
She's got almost 4,500 likes on her Facebook page. I'm always fascinated by these indie explosions, but they are never a 0-100mph story. Everyone that is this successful already has a fanbase.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I saw her shoot up there. The same thing happened to Cora Cormack a few months ago. Her debut novel LOSING IT spiked straight up into the top 100 right away. I liked hers too. Same genre.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BBGriffith said:
She's got almost 4,500 likes on her Facebook page. I'm always fascinated by these indie explosions, but they are never a 0-100mph story. Everyone that is this successful already has a fanbase.
Yes, that's what I'm wondering, but can't find anything. She started her facebook page in November from nothing. Who are all these people who liked her before her book came out?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Who are all these people who liked her before her book came out?
Could be all sorts of things. Maybe she wrote fanfic and had fans already. Maybe she was putting her book out there in pieces for free and developing a fanbase that way. It's barely possible she got this many reviews and likes from scratch, but I think it's more likely she already had a fanbase of some sort already. Googling her doesn't reveal much, which is too bad, as I'm wildly curious. :D Either way, good for her-- she's doing fabulously!

·
Registered
144 Posts
WOW, good for her! I'll be watching this thread with interest, I'm curious how she did it - natural talent and an awesome book is one part, I'm sure, but I'm feeling she did some ninja marketing stuff too!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
PamelaKelley said:
She just started writing in July!
This is the depressing part for me. I sucked for so many years that it's always a bit disheartening when I see people who are great writers from the get go. I think I'm a very slow learner.

·
Registered
398 Posts
That's awesome!

I'd bet good money (not real money, maybe the monopoly kind) that she has an existing fanbase, either from fanfic or from posting her writing elsewhere. Still, good for her.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I'm taking notes for my future bestseller.

Now, is the protagonist LITERALLY torn between two men? Or figuratively?

I want to get my details right, because I'd really like to write a bestseller. I think I'll do past tense, and Smashwords reports say it must be 80,000 words.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Dalya said:

I want to get my details right, because I'd really like to write a bestseller. I think I'll do past tense, and Smashwords reports say it must be 80,000 words.
I like literal tearing. But that might drive it over into sci-fi/horror.

Ooo, maybe she has mutant healing powers . . .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dalya said:

Ha Ha You write it and I'll buy it!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts